• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe adopting a lesser Sulphur created cockatoo?

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
So I went to my local pet store today and as I was a lady came in to talk to the owner about rehoming her baby she has had her for 8 years and she adopted her from a lady when she was about 18. So b/ I am nosy I butted in to ask questions b/ I remembered seeing her and her bird a couple weeks ago. So long story short we got to talking and she is rehoming the bird b/ her boyfriend and the parrot like to have yelling matches and he hates the bird. So I told her I would talk to my husband about maybe taking her. ( we talked about how the bird will prolly not be a big fan of men and my husband is willing to spend the time when he is to help build a relationship) I feel like I have some understanding of what I would be getting into but I doubt I honestly do could anyone give me pointer if we do end up adopting her? ( we have agreed to take her but I think the owner is still unsure. She is an older lady and I think she is only rehoming her b/ of the boyfriend)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Gosh the poor lady, I personally think she’s rehoming the wrong noise maker and she will regret her decision terribly :(

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Good luck in your decision!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Is the bird in your avatar your bird?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are you familiar with the possible health issues of keeping old and new world birds in the same airspace?

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
We were thinking of getting 3 air purifiers to help with the dust and keeping them in separate room to keep down on dust around dorian. I am open to suggestions though

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We were thinking of getting 3 air purifiers to help with the dust and keeping them in separate room to keep down on dust around dorian. I am open to suggestions though
I don’t have any better suggestions than you have mentioned above- I just wanted to make sure you knew about the hazards so you could do your best to minimise them.

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Ya I tried to do as much research as I could, dorian is still pretty much a baby he hasn't even gone though puberty yet lol so adopting an older bird seems scary. Loud doesn't bug me dorian likes to sing the song of his people to me ever morning but I haven't gone though hormones yet and I know cockatoos are kinda known for them lol

Attachments

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Dorian is adorable with his big fluffy marshmallow head! I love it when they do that I am in heaven hairdo and face. My big baby boy turned 3 yesterday- I am also waiting to see what grown up mac life is like... it is gonna be fun, trying and interesting :)

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Haha we will have to compare notes once they hit that stage! My husband just took Dorian for his vet visit so I get to be the favorite person for the week normally my husband gets all cute birdie love.

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
So I pick up Eso (I think thats her name) today but first I have to go cage shopping/toy shopping. Anyone have suggestions on toys their cockatoo likes?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We had a houseguest whose U2 loved anything he could shred :heart: and so does one of our G2s. The other is more mechanical and loves toy parts, things she can unscrew and beads. Not sure what LSCs lean towards. :)

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
Thank you I didn't think about mechanical toy! I got her a wooden block toy with a large bell my pet store was really lacking in large bird toys today :/

Skrub04

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lizzy
So her name is Aussie I got her home but I think she is a very very stressed out baby. I noticed some bald spots and the owner said she had plucked herself bald in the past. She said her dog would spend all day barking at aussie and the boyfriend yelled at her anytime she got loud. She feathers looks pretty rough and her tail has a lot of brown on it from something. I think she was in a very small cage. She said she had her on a chop diet with pellets though so thats good. She is in her new cage now and she is currently nibbling on some pellet/seed ball thingys (I can't remember what they are called). I want to make sure we don't add stress to her so how should I handle the next couple months? She has said hello to me a couple times and I respond back but if I look at her she hisses at me. I expect this to be a very slow process but I want to make sure I don't add stress to her by doing something wrong.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Aussie is lucky she found you.

Good Luck

Plenty of Too People on the forum so hopefully you will have all the info you need to settle her into her new home.