• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maximus' Training Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
All I'll say about this great advice is--don't overthink it. As soon as you get out the perch, the treat bowl w/special treats, & whatever book you're following, your bird will know what is coming. After 2 or 3 tricks, he'll know what's coming, so don't get tense about whether he's seen the treat in your hand, or you've accidentally gotten the order of treats & clicker 'wrong.' He'll take his cues from you.:chillpill: & make it fun for him, & he'll enjoy learning, & if he enjoys it, you've won--he'll learn (& love it :cloud9:)

redmoss

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Claudia
Thanks I will switch to verbal cue tomorrow with Max. What about timing of giving treat? Same time as cue or right after? Also am I luring him inappropriately if he sees a treat in my hand before I cue?
Are you calling the noise made when he offers the behavior, the cue? I've always seen/heard it referred to as a bridge or marker. A treat is then given any time after the marker. If you haven't already done so, you may find watching Barbara Heidenreich's parrot training video useful.

Just found this video that you may find helpful. Though it doesn't show the shaping of the behaviors, it shows rewarding at a variable ratio once a behavior is learned.

And here's a book that I found illuminating.

Here's a helpful thread from a pit bull forum on practicing and loading the clicker.

Jackpot! A glossary of terms from Karen Pryor's site.

The highlights:

Bridging stimulus: an event marker that identifies the desired response and “bridges” the time between the response and the delivery of the primary reinforcer. The clicker is a bridging stimulus.

Cue: A stimulus that elicits a behavior. Cues may be verbal, physical (i.e., a hand signal), or environmental (i.e., a curb may become a cue to sit if the dog is always cued to sit before crossing a road).

Luring: A hands-off method of guiding the dog through a behavior. For example, a food lure can be used to guide a dog from a sit into a down. This is a common method of getting more complex behaviors. Lures are usually food, but they may also be target sticks or anything else the dog will follow. Trainers must take care to fade the lure early.

Marker: A signal used to mark desired behavior at the instant it occurs. The clicker is a marker.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
you've accidentally gotten the order of treats & clicker 'wrong.'
I agree that it is important not to be tense or frustrated, but it is pretty critical that the order of clicker or marker and treats be correct. You could really confuse the animal this way, and if you have an animal that is worried about the clicker, you can actually cause them to be worried about the food and not be willing to take it.

Are you calling the noise made when he offers the behavior, the cue? I've always seen/heard it referred to as a bridge or marker. A treat is then given any time after the marker. If you haven't already done so, you may find watching Barbara Heidenreich's parrot training video useful.

Just found this video that you may find helpful. Though it doesn't show the shaping of the behaviors, it shows rewarding at a variable schedule once a behavior is learned.

And here's a book that I found illuminating.

Here's a helpful thread from a pit bull forum on practicing and loading the clicker.
Yes, this is what I was saying before. The "cue" is what causes the behavior, like the words "step up" or the motion of moving your hand to the bird. Cues can be environmental and not trained on purpose, like a dog getting excited about a leash.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Thanks, I started verbal cue with "Yes" as you suggested Vicki and I think Sunny and Barkese may have as well. Definitely working on my timing as I recall that is critical from a class I took. Wish there had been live demonstration in the class. But it has been 3 months so I have forgotten a lot of the instruction.
Max eagerly participated. I kept session short.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Yes, it is totally okay to use a verbal marker, the point I was trying to make it is that it is NOT a cue. A cue causes a behavior, "Yes!" or a click doesn't do that, it marks the correct behavior. It may seem like I am being nitpicky but this is really important for people to know.

Here is an old video of me training Ollie, my budgie with a clicker. Just working on targeting here.

[video=youtube;O22BHSv4j6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O22BHSv4j6Q&list=UUb000CP_W_zvkifnV-b_YwQ&index=68[/video]

Here is a video of me training Merlin, my WFA who needed to learn to flap his wings for exercise. The words "flap em'" is the cue to do the behavior, I mark with the clicker and then reinforce. I am looking for one of me using a verbal marker.

[video=youtube;MJOox7CCssY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJOox7CCssY&list=UUb000CP_W_zvkifnV-b_YwQ&index=66
[/video]

I couldn't find a bird one, but here is a dog one where I use "Yes!" as a verbal marker, just before reinforcing. The behavior is holding the stack for a moment so it doesn't look like she is doing anything, but she was actually doing it really well:)

[video=youtube;FmpJaWQiM_0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmpJaWQiM_0&list=UUb000CP_W_zvkifnV-b_YwQ&index=85[/video]

Thanks, I started verbal cue with "Yes" as you suggested Vicki and I think Sunny and Barkese may have as well. Definitely working on my timing as I recall that is critical from a class I took. Wish there had been live demonstration in the class. But it has been 3 months so I have forgotten a lot of the instruction.
Max eagerly participated. I kept session short.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Understand, Vicki. For moment was just getting him used to getting a treat after I say "Yes." I will soon say "yes" after he does something like targeting and give the treat after the "yes." Max likes listening to your videos. He gives full attention.:)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Krissa! I finally progressed to try targetting. It went well! Only problem is I was so excited that I gave him 2 verbal markers - good boy and yes - there may have been too much excitement in my voice as he studied my face before taking almond. - as if he was not sure he earned the almond. He was eager to do more

Krissa

Sprinting down the street
Yah!

I decided to change my target from the tip of a pencil to my hand - Barbara Heidenreich uses her hand in the videos as a target and it seems to be easier. I keep dropping the clicker, the treat and the target. I am also going to switch to a verbal marker - I am way too clumsy with the clicker.

Do you think yours liked the "yes" better. It is shorter. I was also thinking of saying "good."

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Well, he tied to pick up the target so my finger may not work but I like the idea of not having too much to juggle. I may switch to "good" for my maker as I really mess up in my excitement and I don't want to confuse him. My clicker goes around my wrist. Does yours? But I am not using it given negative feedback I got.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
He seemed to want a break from training yeterday. Today he enthusiastically targetted. He was motivated.

Status
Not open for further replies.