• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maximus' Training Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
It is a new year! I had started clicker training Max about 2 months ago but we have had a lot of starts and stops. Sometimes he didnt want a treat and lastly he attacked the clicker. I have been doing a bit of reinforcement on non clicker training. Max steps up and down and turns around. He is 9 1/2 months old and we are going to try target training. We did a little clicker work today & Max took almonds and safflower seeds upon hearing click.

So I decided to start a thread to help keep me on track with training Max. Charlie had a bad reaction to the clicker today. Not sure if he is tired or what. So I will let him settle in more....hopefully his training thread is soon to come....

Anyway, Krissa, thanks for inspiration

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Well, thank you for taking me off the side lines. I am participating with you now!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
This is so great! You can just use a verbal marker like the word "Yes!" or "good!" instead of clicking if he doesn't like the click:)

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
That is good to hear as Charlie was angry or scared by clicker. So maybe I can start with Charlie too if he responds to treats

Max is inconsistent with clicker. It gets on his nerves because he is busy with his pronunciation practice (does this most of day) so I need to ensure I initiate training when Max is receptive.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Have shorter sessions. Just do like 5 reps for Max, then be done. Leave him wanting more!

That is good to hear as Charlie was angry or scared by clicker. So maybe I can start with Charlie too if he responds to treats

Max is inconsistent with clicker. It gets on his nerves because he is busy with his pronunciation practice (does this most of day) so I need to ensure I initiate training when Max is receptive.

kackels

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kakie Currey
What do u do when they take FOREVER to eat a little sliver of a treat???

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
What do u do when they take FOREVER to eat a little sliver of a treat???
Max is slow to eat his treats 1/2 of time....I just wait on him

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard

Mine hate the clicker. It always makes them jump. :)

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I've always been surprised that more birds don't object to the clicker. It's too loud, & probably scares them. Try using a babyfood jar lid, or verbal praise + treat. My SC takes forever to eat his reward, too. I use pine nuts, cut at least in half, with a 'jackpot' at the end of the session of several pine nuts.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Thanks for additional feedback. Glad to know other birds react negatively to clicker. So far Max is ok this week with clicker. Want to think of the appropriate verbal cue though. Something not commonly said so he doesn't always think I am giving a treat. Also he knows there is a treat in my hand when I click. Is that improper? Not sure I am setting Max up for success.

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Just remember, that in this case, the word isn't a "cue", it won't cause him to do something (like a cue does), it will tell him what he did when he heard it caused a treat to come (like a clicker does). I say "Yes!" in a different tone that I usually say yes.

Thanks for additional feedback. Glad to know other birds react negatively to clicker. So far Max is ok this week with clicker. Want to think of the appropriate verbal cue though. Something not commonly said so he doesn't always think I am giving a treat. Also he knows there is a treat in my hand when I click. Is that improper? Not sure I am setting Max up for success.

puffthemagicweirdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Oscar
I find with my teil that he loves sunflower seeds so I have mainly removed them from his diet, makes him that much more eager. As for clicker he didnt like it at all, I just click with my tounge, Its a softer click, works well for puff and easy to differentiate from other sounds/words, hands free too is added bonus what ever you do tho be consistent whatever you pick stick to it

65sunnyday

Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I would say if he doesn't like the clicker, I think you're sending 'a negative message' by using it, though what that is in a birdie brain, I'm not sure.
The babyfood jar lid makes a soft 'click' when you press it, but is awkward to hold.
I just tell Nicky 'good biiiiiird' in a nauseatingly enthusiastic voice, & at the same time, hand him the treat. He 'gets it' right away!
But to me, it is also respect--he's made it clear he doesn't like the clicker, & I respect that.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Thanks I will switch to verbal cue tomorrow with Max. What about timing of giving treat? Same time as cue or right after? Also am I luring him inappropriately if he sees a treat in my hand before I cue?

puffthemagicweirdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Oscar
Right after, you want him to realise the click means he has done what you want him too and will recieve a treat

it is so he knows the exact moment that he did the right thing.

and yes try not to let him see the treat because otherwise he will think he has already earned it

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Oh, Thank you so much. Will try anew tomorrow.

puffthemagicweirdo

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Oscar
I first started training by reinforcing the cue, just give the cue then give the treat without making him do anything so that he learns that when I hear the cue it means I get the treat. I did this for the first few sessions and at the start of every session after that

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Yes this is all I am doing now. Just working on my technique with timing etc. Really really appreciate input!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
You give the marker or bridge (click, word or whatever) and then the treat comes. It is critical that the marker comes before the delivery of the reinforcer. If done at the same time, the marker will be overshadowed and not picked up.

Thanks I will switch to verbal cue tomorrow with Max. What about timing of giving treat? Same time as cue or right after? Also am I luring him inappropriately if he sees a treat in my hand before I cue?

Status
Not open for further replies.