• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maui's Imping is Today!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well, this is the best I will get for the evening. He wants attention but is tired and a bit bothered. Also Korbel won't let me get near him....

2013-06-10 17.00.36.jpg

2013-06-10 16.32.53.jpg 2013-06-10 16.59.46.jpg 2013-06-10 17.03.36.jpg 2013-06-10 17.00.57.jpg

So far this is what I know.

This is a heavy wing for him right now. We won't be seeing any flying soon. He is a bit upset as some of glue got on other feathers and he has been busy removing it. He does not seem to be picking at any of the feathers but one or two of the feathers are not folding right for him. One reason for that is he has a few of his own growing in AND he has no idea how to fold that wing up with all the weight yet. Other than preening away, he does not seem too uncomfortable or unhappy. After a few days if it is still too much for him I can always trim a few out to make him more comfortable. That won't bother me a bit, Maui will fly when he is ready. :D I think the only thing I am not happy with is the smell of the epoxy. We were told it would go away after a bit but I don't like the smell at all. I thought about bathing him but I think that would be a bit much tonight.

Overall we are very happy. I think even if I need to trim a few we are in much better shape than we were. Now any new feathers growing in will have support from the others and maybe he can grow back his own wing. :) He is a Scarlet, BG, Military, GW, Capri, Harliquin Hybrid . Anyone want to think up a name? :rofl:

Better pictures when he is feeling better. :p

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the update! Amazing what is possible these days, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
:hug8:I take it that the vet thought about this already, but that epoxy is likely to be non-toxic, right, seeing that Maui (and any other bird for that matter) would take to chewing what is foreign to them? So glad to see he's over the initial ordeal:hug8:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:hug8:I take it that the vet thought about this already, but that epoxy is likely to be non-toxic, right, seeing that Maui (and any other bird for that matter) would take to chewing what is foreign to them? So glad to see he's over the initial ordeal:hug8:
Yes, the epoxy is non toxic once dry. I really don't like the smell though. It's not overpowering but if you stick your face near his wing you can smell it still. I can't imagine that it is the best for him. I have two purifers in the room running on high hoping that will help. He is sleeping as it has been a long day.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh,that looks just wonderful! I'm so happy he was able to get this done,and I hope things go smoothly and he is able to fly high soon! :heart:

Dani

Avenue Veteran
AWWWWWWWWW Good luck with the new feathers! :hug8::hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Aww poor stressed baby. Is he groggy?

What kind of anesthesia was he under? Inhalant or shot?

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Aww poor stressed baby. Is he groggy?

What kind of anesthesia was he under? Enhalant or shot?
About an hour of isoflurane. He is just tired. He put himself to bed. He might come back out as sometimes he does... if he does ill try to snap more pictures. He ate well and did some yelling then looked tired and took himself to his room. He does that eveytime we go to the vet so no worries. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Gotchya:) I read he was really tired and was curious.:) I know it takes forever for birds to wake up if they were put under via shot. But with theinhalant, they wake up real quick.

I'm glad you got him imped. I'm sure he will thank you in the morning!:hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Well, this is the best I will get for the evening. He wants attention but is tired and a bit bothered. Also Korbel won't let me get near him....

View attachment 146838

View attachment 146836 View attachment 146837 View attachment 146840 View attachment 146839

Overall we are very happy. I think even if I need to trim a few we are in much better shape than we were. Now any new feathers growing in will have support from the others and maybe he can grow back his own wing. :) He is a Scarlet, BG, Military, GW, Capri, Harliquin Hybrid . Anyone want to think up a name? :rofl:

. :p
for a name? Chameleon? Every which way she turns she will be in disguise. Or Mata Hari?
Anyway, as you say, a long day. Seems like it went pretty well. Glad for you both.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You could call him HY or Mix or Arara (Brazilian Portuguese for macaw - ah-rah-rah - short sounds with the accent on the first rah).

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Awesome. I hope it holds and he starts to get more comfortable with the weight of the feathers.

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Glad it went well!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm glad you got him imped. I'm sure he will thank you in the morning!
He is not thanking me quite yet. Maybe in a few days. He has had a naked little wing his whole life and now a full set of heavy flights. I think no thank you's for a few days. I'm about to get him on the scale. Yesterday he weighed 840 grams. I guess we will see how much he is carrying around.

Well, he's the first and only Maui macaw, of course!
I love this! It's perfect! :D