• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating

kiertje

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kira
Hi,

A month or so my linnies started mating with eachother. But it slowly became more times per day and now even at night if they wake up by accident. I have darkend curtians and put a blanket over the cage around 7/8 pm. But it doesn't seem to help, can I do anything else?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi! Have you tested your Linnies to find out the genders? I looked back and saw that at some point you did not know. So if you have a male and female, there are many things you can do to not have babies. Don't have any potential nest type area, if they have eggs, replace with dummy eggs. I don't have experience with this, but how to do it is over this site.

Otherwise I think this is just nature taking its course. I would be happy they are not trying to mate with you. My single female mates regularly with one of her toys. I wouldn't be concerned with when, even if it's nighttime.

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
Hi! Have you tested your Linnies to find out the genders? I looked back and saw that at some point you did not know. So if you have a male and female, there are many things you can do to not have babies. Don't have any potential nest type area, if they have eggs, replace with dummy eggs. I don't have experience with this, but how to do it is over this site.

Otherwise I think this is just nature taking its course. I would be happy they are not trying to mate with you. My single female mates regularly with one of her toys. I wouldn't be concerned with when, even if it's nighttime.
Gigi, how long does the egg laying last?

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
My 2 males go through the motions multiple times a day, and at night too. They have 10-11 hrs sleep and no nesting stuff, so I guess they just like it? Or it's reinforcing their bond? Not sure if there's a way to lessen it, but i do not worry about it.

I don't know anything about breeding linnies, but when I bred african/australian finches the dummy eggs didn't fool them one bit. Replace the real eggs with dummies and they'd immediately start laying new ones all over again, on top of the dummies. Crazy!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi, how long does the egg laying last?
Hello! I'm Dona, Gigi is my green Linnie. She's 2 and no eggs so far! Fingers crossed.

when I bred african/australian finches the dummy eggs didn't fool them one bit. Replace the real eggs with dummies and they'd immediately start laying new ones all over again, on top of the dummies. Crazy!
Haha! Smarty pants finches.

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I'm Dona, Gigi is my green Linnie. She's 2 and no eggs so far! Fingers crossed.

Haha! Smarty pants finches.
I don’t have any dummy eggs,,as I was told Smokey was male when I got it. Now,,a year later,Smokey is almost 2 and we have eggs. Only 2, and she seems to be back to her normal self which is why I asked. Just trying to get an idea of how long it goes on for. I know I’m done with it. Lol

Nadine

Meeting neighbors
I don’t have any dummy eggs,,as I was told Smokey was male when I got it. Now,,a year later,Smokey is almost 2 and we have eggs. Only 2, and she seems to be back to her normal self which is why I asked. Just trying to get an idea of how long it goes on for. I know I’m done with it. Lol
Oh,,and once the covid is over I plan to get my green one,Bandit, a DNA test. I’m almost positive it’s a male as it is bigger, lots more black on wings and very aggressive most of the time. And they don’t like each other at all, which I guess is a good thing now. I don’t want babies,,I have enough on my plate with these too stinkers!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh,,and once the covid is over I plan to get my green one,Bandit, a DNA test. I’m almost positive it’s a male as it is bigger, lots more black on wings and very aggressive most of the time. And they don’t like each other at all, which I guess is a good thing now. I don’t want babies,,I have enough on my plate with these too stinkers!
Bandit looks like a boy to me too. Lots of black and polka dots. I'm not certain that boys are bigger than girls, but I've been told that the green mutation (and that includes lutino) is bigger than the other colors. Female Gigi weighs 54 grams which is the very top of the the normal weights for a Linnie.