• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mating, Not Breeding

lilyflower

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lilly
Hey everyone,

I've had my lovebird for almost three years now and we've bonded, but I'm leaving for college in September. Bringing her with me isn't an option. My parents love her and will take care of her, but they cannot give her the same time and energy I can. We think the best course of action is to help her find a new mate, but we have no idea how to go about it. Any advice would be appreciated. We want her mate to be the same sex as her, as we don't want any babies.

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Oofa
Females don't always get along well... you'd have to work hard to find a matching personality. I had a very bonded pair of sisters so I know its an option.

My Celes has shown major interest in one of my parakeets and cockatiel. I don't really know what to suggest. Start looking now and see what catches your eye. Keep in mind your bird knows you best and might dislike a second.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's not even sure that she will accept another bird, but if you should try, chose a male.
Let them be and do what birds do best, but remove and replace their eggs to fake ones.
Wise not to breed them, but that they are mating is just natural. :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hi Lily, Welcome to the Avenue :starshower1:

It's not even sure that she will accept another bird, but if you should try, chose a male.
Let them be and do what birds do best, but remove and replace their eggs to fake ones.
Wise not to breed them, but that they are mating is just natural. :)
Yes, I agree with this :)
But do keep in mind, if your bird does not accept the second, they will need to be housed in their own cages. They will still keep each other company with their calls though. Just remember never to house two unbonded birds together. Sometimes they bond, sometimes they don´t, and sometimes they take some time but do bond in the end.

Good luck :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
What about having two cages side by side? That way they can interact but not officially touch.