• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Marking Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I need to know what's the safest thing to use to mark (or number..) eggs?

TIA.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I haven't found anything that stays on

but you can use a normal #2 writing pencil or Crayola Markers (like kids color with - they are non toxic)

I've tried both- and every time they're either worn off (from being sat on) or Smeared (from being sat on) and you couldn't read it or both

So i gave up :o:

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh really. I could try them out anyway. Have you used them on different sorts of eggs, like Lovies, Cockatiels, Budgies? and the same thing's happened on all of them?

Sorry for all the questions & thanks!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
Your welcome

I've only used them on budgies, I was going to start marking the eggs so I knew exactly which one hatched So I'd get the correct hatch date

and i've used them when I fostered eggs the smearing part wasn't bad on a fostered egg, because I just needed to know if it was a fostered egg or their egg that hatched so if it smeared that was ok (i'd use a different color for a fostered egg,than what I used on the pairs eggs) but when I needed to know the numbers it was a pain, because they'd all be gone

Could of been i just didn't do it right as well lol even though I did it right where a website said to but that doesn't mean I did it right lol

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
I have no experience marking or whatnot but you could use the non-toxic markers (even if they smeared) and just order them by color? That way it wouldn't matter if they were smeared or not, you could have a written record of what number each color was. Blue smear = egg 1, red smear = egg 2 etc. etc.. Just a thought!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I have no experience marking or whatnot but you could use the non-toxic markers (even if they smeared) and just order them by color? That way it wouldn't matter if they were smeared or not, you could have a written record of what number each color was. Blue smear = egg 1, red smear = egg 2 etc. etc.. Just a thought!

Thats a good idea

I didn't think of that,
when i was doing it I was having a hard time digging through the millions of markers my kids have finding ones that Worked period LOL and i kept forgetting to buy new ones when i was out :hehe:

but that is a good idea, I'll have to try that next time i decide to mark eggs again only go buy a new pack and make it for the birds only NO kiddos allowed lol

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That's a great idea, thanks for that! I'm going to the Drs soon, so I'll pop into the shops after and grab a packet of non-toxic colored markers. :)

Thanks again, to you both!

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I had to sit at the Drs waiting an extra 45 minutes, and I finally got seen, by the time I got out, it was 5:30pm, then my brother and I were walking around looking for my mum and my other brother, that took 35 mins and by the time we actually got to the shops, it was after 6pm and everything was closed. :(

I looked in Woolworths but they didn't have any! I'm going to go tomorrow HOPEFULLY - if I'm not babysitting.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Always mark eggs on the air cell end. This is for several reasons....such as, if the ink bleeds it is not going to harm the chick. Or if you press too hard and crack the shell, the air cell end is easy to repair, with glue, or a small piece of shell glued to the area. (Look for the AP Seal) http://www.artsafety.org/labels.html

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thank you! That is good to know!

Matt

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
I've always used a blunt pencil and mark the eggs but ya always have to be careful. Write on the air cell area. I write the egg number laid like if it say is the 2nd one laid and the date.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Is it not possible for the pencil to go through if it's on the air cell side? I hope that's what you mean, because that's my understanding.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
It's easy to poke through the egg no matter what area you mark on. I do not apply pressure at all, just ever so lightly and I go over it a few times... I've never poked or cracked an egg. I dunno but markers like the Sharpies Brand are stinky and they'd probably be the next best thing like what srtiels mentions.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, alright. :) Everyone talks about sharpies, they must be called something different here, because I've never seen them *in person*, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.