• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

March 2015 Mayor of the Avenue..... Courtney (gibsongrrrl)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Our "Mayor of the Avenue" award is presented to a member who exhibits the qualities that distinguish them to be an upstanding credit to the Avenue, a loving, informed, conscientious and caring bird parront and an all around good neighbor.

I am so delighted to announce Courtney as March's Mayor of the Avenue.
I loved your interview and enjoyed getting to know you a little better!

1. What kind of birds do you have (age, species and names)?

I have two little ladies and both are Meyer's parrots. Weeble, my first bird, is almost 17 and Beeper is around 3 or 4

2. What got you interested in birds?

Well, my mom and aunts all grew up with and had birds as adults and we always had a bird when I lived at home, so I was always exposed to them. I especially loved my aunts cockatiel, chorty. We had two cockatiels that I was too young to really remember, a love bird, and then my mother's grey. After the grey came I actually developed a phobia of parrots after being attacked and that lasted from age 8-29. Then I took a job working for an avian vet that was treating my mother's grey because I missed working with animals so much. Once I spent time with them and learned how to read them and got cuddles by one, I became totally hooked and lost all fear.

3. What have your birds brought to your life?

You know, it's so hard to answer this adequately sometimes. I always laugh and say "less freedom, less income, less sanity" lol, but I enjoy trying to do the absolute best I can for them so much. Learning, researching, sharing and exchanging ideas to think of ways to enrich their lives as much as possible and seeing them be able to make decisions of their own and forage and fly is really fulfilling. Both are much more independent now. Other people didn't want them and so being able to make them happy is a real joy for me.I am also much healthier in my own life because of their needs environmentally and nutritionally. And I take much less risks these days too! Oh and grey hairs. Lots of those, and one fractured arm. Lol

4. What have you learned from sharing your life with your birds?

So much! Mostly how toxic everything is and how unsuitable and dangerous a human's habitat can be for them. Especially with being a renter and not having certain things be in my control such as wood used to construct the house, having gas instead of electric heat and stove, moisture issues, etc.

5. What's one birdie memory that will stay with you forever?

Traveling 2800 miles cross country with Weeble. I thought this was probably going to be absolutely horrible and stressful, but she was a rock star! We had so much fun and she loved it. She was quite the eager and adventurous travel buddy and stayed calm and happy. Chewing wood and chowing down the whole way, lol.

6. Where is your birds main living area?

Well we just moved a month ago and are still get that sorted out. It has always been the living room, but they have a nice 11x15 birdroom now and that has been their main living area since we got here. It has windows almost the length if one wall but the yard has a privacy fence and a tree with small birds so it is a nice view for them while I am at work and gets good light.

7. Did you change things in your home to accommodate your birds and if so what kinds of things did you change?

Oh yes, lots. Changed all cleaning products, threw out the Teflon pans and replaced with SS, no more air fresheners, carpet cleaners, dryer sheets, threw out the candles and incense, etc, etc. basically anything that could remotely kill them. And they require their own room when searching for a rental. Definitely my schedule. Everything revolves around birdie bedtime.

8. Are you involved in any kind of bird related group or activities?

Not in person, just online. Too scared of bird cooties.

9. What is the one luxury item you would love to have for your bird(s)?

Indoor aviaries. I am just about to start working on outdoor ones, which has also been a dream.

10. Is there any bird that you dream of owning and if so why?

Not really. There are birds I'd like to experience in person and study/interact with, but none that I'm wanting to own in particular. If I had no birds and was looking for one that needed a home, it would be a Meyers. Hands down. I love them most of all that I have worked with.

11. Describe a typical day with you at home with your birds.

I uncover them and take the dogs out so they can drop their morning bomb. Then feed everyone and change cage papers. Usually one gets out with me while I am getting ready for work and the other while I am getting things ready for the day, like foragers and toys or water changes. Then when I come home they get fruit and veg
while doggies get taken care of. Then we have a few hours to rotate more out time in stands. Before bed time. I am currently working out a plan to divide this room like the other so they can be out for longer, but it's going to be trickier than last time because the ceiling is angled. Weekends are more out time, shower time, and sun time outdoors.

12. What have you learned about owning birds that you would like to share?

Just that there are so many great birds needing homes and a rehomed or older bird can be quite awesome.

13. If you knew then what you know now about birds, what would you do differently?

I think if I had understood the nature of parrots more when I was younger and had birds, I wouldn't have been so afraid of my mom's grey. Having had one person birds now, myself. I totally get her and think we would have had a much better relationship if she were still alive today.

14. What other hobbies do you have?

Mostly I study and play african drums. I have also played most stringed instruments and just added a violin to my collection. Hoping to start taking formal lessons soon.

15. Anything else you would like to share?

Not really, just that Meyer's are awesome!

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
:congrats5: :ygg:

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Way to go.:wewin:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Matt

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:yourock::Congratwav:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Thanks everyone! I am so honored to be chosen for Mayor. I really love being part of this community and am so happy to be here:heart::heart::heart:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations Courtney!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Congrats!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Congratulations!!!!!!:cheer::bounce4:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
:congrats5: What a great interview! I love these because I can really get to know members as people rather than just as Beeper's and Weeble's Mom! I hope you are not doing what our new Mayor is doing and raising our taxes.:laughing6:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Congrats Courtney. Well deserved indeed.

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:congrats5:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Bigs congrats!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Congrats

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
:congrats5: What a great interview! I love these because I can really get to know members as people rather than just as Beeper's and Weeble's Mom! I hope you are not doing what our new Mayor is doing and raising our taxes.:laughing6:
Lol! :coffeescreen: Not me, but I immediately pictured Weeble standing at the virtual gates of AA charging one almond per visitor:excited3::whip::aarules::lol:Good thing she doesn't know she's the first lady this month:roflmao:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
CONGRATULATIONS!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.