• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mango and Munchlax, new babies of the family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
First off...I nearly passed out from cuteness. Those two are so adorable!!!

The yellow fronted one looks like a Seagreen Pied. The other looks like a Dutch Blue. Those would be my guesses. :)

Sometimes when birds get bred too much they get caught up in the whole nonstop cycle. The hen will want to breed again before her babies are ready to go. She'll want the current babies out of the nest. So she start plucking them thinking they'll leave. As others have said...if the babies are too young to get out, and the breeder doesn't remove them, they could be killed.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I just have to add that that pic of Munchlax hanging upside down is priceless!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
they had to be separated as they bicker more and more but thats fine. im 80% sure of both the genders. since mango is very gentle but shy im assuming male and hes easier to tame. munchlax im sure is female. very very aggressive (will attack tiels which is normal but mango doesnt as he likes the tiels and likes to be with them and munch bites ten times harder and more. mango doesnt bite anymore)

seeing as 2 people say munch is a dutch blue i will go with that. i knew mango is a pied but thanks for clearing up the other colour. hes such a pretty lovebird and hes got a feminine face lol

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
Cute birds and great pics!

Mango - Dominant pied aqua (dutch blue pied)
Munch - SF violet AquaTurquoise (seagreen violet)

Lovebird57

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Amy
:hug8:So cute! My little Mango is madly in love with one of my cockatiels, Mojo. He's all boy. He's also 10 grams smaller than Kito! She's very aggressive. When she's near Mango and Mojo, she attacks poor Mojo or any other bird that's near. She also flirts shamelessly with Mango. No doubt what sex they are!:hehe:

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
im so confused now about mutations lol im very new to lovebirds so i got no clue but i like to know the mutations of my birds, right down to every split and gene (my female tiel is a loosefeather pearl split pied and my male is regular pearl split pied cinnamon whiteface)

mask, can you tell me exactly why you think they are these mutations and how i can tell? if you can give me other info on them that'd be great thanks for the help, ive seen you on tailfeathers.

mask

Walking the driveway
Real Name
mask
im so confused now about mutations lol im very new to lovebirds so i got no clue but i like to know the mutations of my birds, right down to every split and gene (my female tiel is a loosefeather pearl split pied and my male is regular pearl split pied cinnamon whiteface)

mask, can you tell me exactly why you think they are these mutations and how i can tell? if you can give me other info on them that'd be great thanks for the help, ive seen you on tailfeathers.
Mango:
The dominant pied mutation is clear. It inherits autosomal dominant, so it's seen in both single factor (SF) and double factor (DF). There's no way of telling a difference between SF and DF unless the bird is bred or you know what the parents were. For this reason, most people just call it dominant pied or pied.

She's obviously a parblue mutation (she's not green!). There are 2 parblue mutations; turquoise (aka whitefaced) and aqua (aka dutch blue) There's also a combination of the two mutations called AquaTurquoise (aka seagreen). The beak looks to be a solid colour (orange), which points towards the aqua mutation (aka dutch blue). The beak may change colour though as she goes through her juvenile moult, but for now, she looks aqua. Again, knowing the parents can help to figure this one out.

Munch:

Also a parblue mutation. Like i said before, aqua birds tend to have a more solid, single colour beak (orange). Turquoise birds have a lighter coloured beak, more pinkish in colour. AquaTurquoise tend to half something in the middle, usually a 2-tone beak, top half been the paler pinkish colour seen in turquoise, and the bottom half the deeper colour as seen in aqua. Munch's beak seems to be slightly paler, especially towards the top of the beak. It will develop more as he/she gets older, may even turn out to be turquoise, but for now i'd say AquaTurquoise (aka seagreen)

On the 6th picture you posted you can see munch's colours better, im guessing this was taken without the camera flash? The mantle (wings/back) look darker with a petroleum like cast to them. The rump has that vibrant, almost violety colour to it. More than likely to be violet, although it could also be a single dark factor. Again, knowing the parents would help here too.

They could totally change when they moult around 4 months old, so for now it has to be a bit of guess work, based only on the photos. If you could get any info on the parents it would be great, a photo would be even better!

P.S - Don't get to set on what sex they are yet! I have females that are more peaceful than any male bird I have seen, and males which can be pure evil! LOL! At such a young age their behaviours will be all over the place. I have a hunch it may be the other way around, mango female and munch male! :D

Last edited:

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
oh great lol

parents had pale pink faces, one for sure pied (the mother) who had a pale face though. both were greenish. i didnt get the best look at them. they wouldnt sit still lol

carkam

Avenue Veteran
What cutie pies!! Can't resist those faces!!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
no, definately couldnt. they got the cutest little faces, but i think thats their plan... be all cute and seemingly cuddly, then turn out to be downright evil lol. gotta love that

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Such cute photos! I love the pied mutation in lovies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.