• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

male vs female lovebird?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifly

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ariba
I know each bird is in individual by in general or in ur experience, which is friendlier? Playful? Nicer? I have heard females r nippy and aggressive and territorial. Is this only in mating season? Can you train them or of.it? Thanks!!!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I had a retired breeder pair that I "rescued" and my female was as nice as can be the male wanted nothing of me. Niether were really mean either.

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Generally, yes. Males are thought to be more calm and tolerant and females are more territorial and courageous. That doesn't mean the hens are horrible though, just bring extra patience. And band-aids.

Peanut is somewhere in between Starburst and Anica. Very sweet and cuddly while simultaneously very stubborn and bold.
In short, I would say she's fairly tolerant of me handling her and fairly intolerant of me handling her stuff.

In detail, she trusts me to do pretty much anything with her; scoop her up, hold her on her back in my hand, poking and prodding, and the worst I'll get out of it are some "objection" noises and non-threatening warning beaking or a light nip. She'll even fall asleep on her back while cuddling. She loves to nap with me (in the recliner where I can't roll or crush her,) hide in my shirt at bedtime, and generally be doted on.

But touching the things she's decided are hers is a different matter and it's all about me knowing when to back off. I can block them with my hand to keep her from throwing them on the floor, toss them back to her if she has thrown it, sometimes even hold them for her, or have my hands near them while I scritch her. As soon as I look like I'm trying to "claim" the object though she goes into territorial mode. She will warn me with her body language when I've crossed the line, sometimes a nip, and if I fail to get the message, bite. She never bites for no reason though and I'm rarely bitten these days.
Nips are fairly common but most don't even sting, just beak pressure, a touch, the bird equivalent of saying "hey, stop that."

And this is a year-round thing. She provokes more quickly when hormonal but that's about it.

Marc

Real Name
Marco
It's hard to decide..I think the females may become more aggressive in mating period; however I have to admit that the relationship with a female is generally stronger than the male;
It's not a rule, it's only a guideline.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I have a flock of Lovebirds and I have never had a problem with a female. Ever.

Personality wise with my birds, the Peachfaced Hens are much more Boisterous and Bold, wheras the Males are pretty easy going. I find the complete opposite with my eyerings though. The Males are the bold and the pushy ones, and the girls are more calm and relaxed. Gram for gram the Male eyerings have the most attitude out of them all! lol They're seriously hysterical.

Last edited:

Paradox81

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dennis
Now I haven't held my guys since they are new to me but my female is the bold one were my male is a chicken and runs and hides under the female when he's scared

Courtney5415

Moving in
Real Name
Courtney
My lovebird is a female and we have had or ups and downs. She had bitten me pretty hard before, i've bled but you can expect that out of any bird. Female lovebirds may get aggresive when laying. I recommend if you get a female to NOT give her a bed. A bed is like a nest which will make a male or a female terrototial. Females have been known to show a little more affection to there owners as they may think of you as their mates. Overall I think females are just as nice as males but both can be loving with proper care and atention.

ifly

Real Name
Ariba
Thanks for the input guys! My breeders take $25 for DNA testing which I am not going to spend right now as I have a budget to get this lovie and all its stuff right now so I will just get the bird tha chooses me or I feel fits best!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Yes, PFLB females are the bosses, more territorial and can be biters. Males are more laid back, can be little wooses and can also be biters. The key is to pick a bird that also picks you. Katie, one of my original PFLBsm was savage and hands off. Her brothers were also hands off but not savage. Harley, my current cock, is a hand raised cutie that loves me. Blu, my hen, is also a hand raised cutie but prefers male humans as friends. Harley rarely even nips me. Blu nips me every day and draws blood once a week. Of course now Blu is on eggs, she is blood thirsty. Blu's original owner could do anything to her and Tim was a really wonderful guy; but he is a physician and had very little time for Blu. So he rehomed her to be my Harley's mate. I am looking forward to Blu going back to her usual hands on but nippy self.

I must have cockatiels and PFLBs in my birdroom.

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
I feel bad saying it but in all honestly I think the males make better pets. BUT! I love my lady birds (even though they drive me crazy sometimes). And I think that having them is more rewarding because you have to work so hard to earn their trust. But once you have and you figure out how to live with them (I mean dealing with the hormones and nesting!), it's really something special. They amaze me every day.

I think especially those who might adopt or rescue a lovie should consider opening their hearts to female lovebirds. They seem to get shoved off in a corner far too often :( It makes me sad. They need good homes and lots of love too!

Status
Not open for further replies.