• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male or Female

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I hear so much about the hormonal behaviour in parrots and was wondering if you had your choice would you purchase a male or female. I know males are nippy, but what about the females? Do they go through this horrible stage?

Scout my goffin is going through it now. So far he has been controllable, and his nips are not bad. But I am considering getting a poi in the future and didn't know if I should get a male or female.

Any thoughts from out there?????

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't own either of those species, but from what I've seen with my hormonal birds (B&G, P'let), I can tell you that females can get aggressive too. They get "nesty" and very, very territorial around whatever they think is their nest. That being said, I think the males in some species (Zons, Macaws) do get a bit more aggro. But, remember, each individual bird will vary.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I agree that females can be just as roudy and hormonal as males.

I would say to just let the poi of your dreams choose you :)

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
From my experience it comes down to the specific bird in question. As a general rule though, I have personally found that females tend to be more loving and less nippy. I would probably get a female - if I knew nothing else but the sex of an individual bird.

Hay Kay

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
I don't mean to hyjack, but what are some of the things females do? for instance is it a female thing to crouch and put the tail up in the air and flap the wings?
also felix should be about 2 (if the original owner was right on his age) now or shortly and he certainly is displaying some different behavior, especially nippiness, any suggestions on how to address this so he hopefully doesn't hold on the that when his hormone fit is over?

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'd usually prefer a male because of egg binding issues.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'd usually prefer a male because of egg binding issues.
Yea. I'd rather put up with a little more aggression than have to worry about all that egg laying stuff. Aggressiveness is just a behavior. Egg laying can be a medical nightmare.

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I would just go with your gut if you have to choose a bird. I don’t think it really matters or if there is much of a difference between males and females. However, males do this funny back and forth dance that I like, it’s funny to watch. They spread there wings a bit and rock back and forth with their eyes pinned. It’s cute. Chiquita does that a lot. But for me when I choose a bird I just go with my gut feeling, it’s never wrong.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Thanks for all of the replies. There were some interesting ones.
Still don't know what I'm going to do; for the moment I've decided to wait and hope I can maybe adopt a bird. I still want a poi of some type though.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
With tiels I have had good bonds with both females and males but I think the males usually won my heart over more.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Tammie, I do have a female Poi. My Jardines. She is a little love, but watch out if she gets into a towel or a dark corner. Nesty nesty!

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
You cannot win it is nature. Whatever species, or gender come the mating time they all have their little foibles some worse than others.
Although both my African Greys are female they have never attempted to lay an egg, why is that? Will they ever? One is ten yrs old and the other coming up to sixyrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.