• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male Ekkie Puberty?

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi all,

One of the parrots I'm considering as a second bird is a baby male eclectus. Part of me would enjoy the experience of raising a baby bird :) and I've heard that male eclectus are a bit less prone to being "one person" birds due to their natural behavior with females, so they'd be a good temperamental fit for my household (since I have a young child who will be climbing all over me in view of the parrot). I'm doing a lot of research and contemplation to help me decide on whether I'll be getting another adult re-home or buying a baby, and if so, what species of baby, given that we have a toddler now and would need a bird who could tolerate life with young children but would also be a good companion to me for the next several decades.

My question - the big drawback I hear about with raising a baby bird is dealing with puberty and the potential change of allegiance that birds go through. Is this very prevalent in male eclectus? I've heard that some species go through more intense puberty changes than others. Since eclectus are not as prone to pair bonding, are they also less likely to reject owners during puberty?

Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:bump7: