• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Making toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
I am gonna start making my own toys for the babies...After 300 bucks in the bird store today I decided it was time...I need to order supplies. can all you talented crafty people tell me what are the must haves to put in a supply box

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
huh...

depending on the type of bird,
beads
I love kiote slices
bird pacifiers
coffee filters
paper cups
popsicle sticks
whiffle balls
plastic straws
birdie bagels
plastic chain
plastic and wooden wheels
finger traps (or whatever they are)
shredded and folded paper
the list goes on... but everybody has their favorites I would guess. I can't of everything I use.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I always keep leather lace, sisal rope, cotton rope (both natural and supreme), and hemp rope, just as "basics." Also some SS quick links and bells. A TON of wood from MPBD as well as PPBN, and more fun shapes of wood beads and other things from Parrot Asylum and CA Bird Nerds. I love braided seagrass as well, thick and thin, as well as seagrass baskets and maize mats and things. Vine balls in all different sizes of course, chain link shredders... the list goes on :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Head to the dollar store and you will find a lot of things to put in your supply box. Little wicker baskets, wiffle balls, popsicle sticks, plastic practice golf ball ( they look like mini wiffle balls) etc. You can find a lot of good things there.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Both Mother Pluckin' Bird Toys - Home of the ATOM and California Bird Nerds--Simple Joys and Safer Bird Toys have great toy making supplies.

Whatever YOU think your bird will like, get it :D

For my BIG guys (my 'toos) I would say anything. large plastic beads, keys, ring, square, anything plastic, anything WOOD, anything with rope and leather and links and whatever you think would be on a toy, they would like it!:D:dancing: My 'toos (with the exception of a couple) are not picky birds.

My amazon on the other hand is very picky, when I make her toys they NEED to be thin pieces of wood, and soft woods, soft thin leathers, soft thin ropes and colorful items. But she'll hardly chew it up. Very gently nibbles. So I try to find very breakabke/chewable woods and plastics.

My p'let LOVES wood, thin woods, and plastics:D

My 'tiels barelly like wood. So thin wood is a must, but they LOVE plastic toys.

So decide what your bird likes, and get things according to what you already know he likes, and if you arent sure if he'll like it or not, get it anyway and try it out :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Head to the dollar store and you will find a lot of things to put in your supply box. Little wicker baskets, wiffle balls, popsicle sticks, plastic practice golf ball ( they look like mini wiffle balls) etc. You can find a lot of good things there.
Great idea! The dollar store is where I get: willow wreaths, baskets, and all of that above :D:dancing: CHEAP place to get some fun stuff!

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you Mercedez:heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.