• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Make your own "jollyball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawlvr

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
James / Krames
Yeah, it was fun, and I wish I knew whose idea it was, so I could thank them!
Thanks so much for wanting to do that.

I'm almost certain the original person shared it with no other motive than simply to share a fun project with others, and probably doesn't care one bit about recognition. But I'm sure it would be appreciated to be thanked...plus it's the right thing to do when possible.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
That's the second time you have made mention of not wanting to take credit for the original idea and wanting to give the credit to the person who showed it to you. To me, it's a matter of respect to want to do that.

Not that you necessarily 'need to say that' but I just wanted to let you know that I have the 'utmost respect for someone like you' who wants to give credit to the person you got the idea from. That right there speaks volumes about your depth of character.

Most people openly share their ideas and usually their joy is in someone taking the idea and using it for the purpose intended...or better still sometimes, taking the idea and making 'your version' by adding your personal touch to it.

You and Lex have definitely done that with this project. I think 'whoever' you got the idea from would be overjoyed with what the two of you have done with it.

Awh! thank you! I had alot of fun with it so i am really thankful that the other person did share :)

Everyones looks great! WOW on those tie-died ones! LOVE them! i have to get some more four but i am going to be making a bunch more of them :)

fid fanatic

Real Name
Cheri
Thank you! Cheri, where did you find punch balls? I haven't seen those in years! My kid would love them, and might let me have one too, LOL
I know, good times huh? ;) You can find these all over the place...Target, Walmart, Walgreens, Party America, any party store, etc. And of course, the internet. :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Beep is absolutely terrified of the larger one I made, but there's really no surprise there. He never learned to sleep in a hut or anything of the sort either.

I took the smaller one I made and cut it in half (so it's basically a mache coconut) and he warmed up very quickly to it. Everything I put in there is chewed up, tossed or eaten in a short span of time. He's tested his beak on the "coconut" but hasn't actually tried destroying it. I'm rather surprised about that, actually, because he loves to destroy things.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Wow, I'm going to have to make one!

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
well, I haven't gotten a punchball yet, but I did get some 12" balloons. It'll be fun to play with those! One of the egg shaped ones went to MoMo my gerbil. He loved it! I got a bunch of pics of him! Oliver loves the weird shaped one. He's shredding it a bit at a time. Better that than his feathers! His previous owner warned me he'll let them grow back, then pluck them again. He was looking so good! So I'm trying to keep him distracted.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
aru, yours looks great!

awh i'd love to see some pics of your gerbil with it, Carla .

Lotsa Birds

Real Name
Sandy
Thanks for the directions :) I have my 11 year old daughter making mine right now. I'm lazy..... though I did drive to Walmart to get punch balls. A pack of 8 for $3.00.

Sandy

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
They're great (and cheap! :D ) toys to do!

I'm lazy, too, though. I have a bunch of balloons that I'm meaning to do but haven't gotten around to it yet :p

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Thanks for the directions :) I have my 11 year old daughter making mine right now. I'm lazy..... though I did drive to Walmart to get punch balls. A pack of 8 for $3.00.

Sandy
thanks for the tip!

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
Lol! Yep, I found the punchballs at WM too. I got lucky because they were just stuck on the shelf. I guess they didn't have a slot for them. I also got some 12" yellow smiley face ones in the chips section of Krogers. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to start more. Oliver loves tearing them up. MoMo loves his too. Kato's been outside enjoying the weather and hasn't thought about playing with anything. Silly lory. I think Aziza will love having one to snooze in.
I also found a use for the cut out pieces. I string them onto toys for them to chew and play with.
Here's my sweetie MoMo:

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
They're great (and cheap! :D ) toys to do!

I'm lazy, too, though. I have a bunch of balloons that I'm meaning to do but haven't gotten around to it yet :p
It's getting too nice to stay inside! I'll have to string them up outside if I want to get more done!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
MoMo is adorable in his! :)

lol, I`d love to do mine outside but its still to cold and snowy.. another month and i`ll be good :D I think I`ll get to work on a batch soon, though..

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
We're finally having some Southern weather! OMG, it's so nice out. I'll definitely be doing some more today. That way, I can add layers, clean cages, add layers, hang laundry... LOL! MoMo is our sweet baby! Since Socca died, I try to give him lots of things to do so he doesn't get depressed. He's loving his ball

wezl

Real Name
Carla Rae
I've done some experimenting with the balls and I've learned a) they're addictive... ! b) the wheat flour and water mix created a "glaze" on my first layer, so when I pulled the balloon out, the inside was very smooth and sealed. The bisquik mix left the inner layer loose so it would be easier to shred. I like both and will alternate this technique. c) you can cover and store your mixture for a day or so, not longer because you run into d)bad stuff (bacteria/yeast/mold?) starts growing in your mixture. It stinks bad, but that led me back to a question asked earlier about the paper mache itself being unhealthy. So far, I would have to say, keep your layer thin, let them dry thoroughly before the next layer. I don't think it matters how many layers, so long as they dry completely. Also check your bird's water for pieces and change the water if necessary. e)(I think) the pieces that are cut out can also be used to string on a toy for a bit of color and shredding fun.
Oliver loves his and has it almost demolished. I gave Kato one with lots of holes. It was one of the "glazed" ones. She was seen using it to practice her karate. Aziza has the smallest one I did, also "glazed". She is very neatly chewing the outside edges of the hole, so now it looks fringed. Very inviting. She has curb appeal skills, call HGTV! And MoMo has officially moved into his and uses it for his den.
Tonight I started two 12" and two of the punchballs. They are huge. I would say at least the size of original jollyballs. Which, btw, now that I know what they are, are absolutely awesome! The detail and time put into them are inspiring!

I am really thankful for this thread and for all the effort and time, as well as the ideas, everyone has contributed! Yay!

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I just came across this and will be trying it out for sure! :D It is so awesome to get great ideas from you guys! I will post pics as well when it's complete. Will probably take a week or so.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Hehe cans't wait to see how yours turns out! Cookie still has hers - she hasn't chewed on it at all she just plays in it :)

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
Just giving this thread a bump to the top!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thanks for the reminder to get on making some new ones, Lex! I'm going to go pick up a bunch of newspaper today and get at it! I dont think I'm going to make anymore 'Jolly balls' again anytime soon (now that my birds have a real one :p ) But i'm going to make a BUNCH more of the little foraging ones!!

Lex123

Rollerblading along the road
KeeWee has basically ruined his, so i need to make him a new one! My sister got a pack of balloons yesterday, i think I'll borrow some from her :) I wonder if I could make one HUGE 'JollyBall' out of three balloons tied tightly together? That would be cool. I'll let everyone know what I come up with!

Status
Not open for further replies.