• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Make your own cleaner? I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
I was looking for an at-home cleanser that I could make since I'm out of
Poop-off & out of money. I found a recipe for one that consisted of:

-3 cups hot water (boiled)
-2 tablespoons baking soda
-2 tablespoons lemon juice

Adding the baking soda first & stirring 'til dissolved, I added the lemon last & stuck it in the fridge to take the temp. down so as not to melt my spray bottle.

It made a fizzy, lemony solution that I put in a clean spray bottle that had only been used for water. The Boys were in "bed", so I doused the parrot'scage with this mix & wiped it all down. It ended up drying white, so I wiped it all again with warm water. All better! I have to shake this stuff up every time I picked up the bottle, but it got the job done with no yukky smell. (I dislike the smell of Poop-Off!)

Does anyone else have a good cleaner recipe? I couldn't find a vinegar based one, although I really didn't look really hard online. Thanks!

:anyone:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
For cage cleaning I use a couple drops of unscented dish detergent mixed with about 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a spray bottle filled with water. Cleans very well.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
i just use dish soap and water sometimes in my rinse water ( i use cleaned out Ice Cream containers because my cages are not easy to take out side) I'll add Vinegar to the water and sometimes to my Dish soap bucket of water I'll add baking soda

I wash them then rinse them off and i'm done

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
interesting recipe, I might try that soon!

fid fanatic

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cheri
For cage cleaning I use a couple drops of unscented dish detergent mixed with about 10 drops of grapefruit seed extract in a spray bottle filled with water. Cleans very well.
I mix something very similar for my multipurpose cleaner.

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
Sorry friends.
I'd like to recant my recipe! I'm finding it leaves too much white residue on everything. I added to own cleaning load! I'm going to try Pat's mixture next. :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I always clean with just the GSE/Water mixture but I am going to try putting in a few drops of soap to it next time I make it.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I use this plus a few drops of F-10

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I was looking for an at-home cleanser that I could make since I'm out of
Poop-off & out of money. I found a recipe for one that consisted of:

-3 cups hot water (boiled)
-2 tablespoons baking soda
-2 tablespoons lemon juice

Adding the baking soda first & stirring 'til dissolved, I added the lemon last & stuck it in the fridge to take the temp. down so as not to melt my spray bottle.

It made a fizzy, lemony solution that I put in a clean spray bottle that had only been used for water. The Boys were in "bed", so I doused the parrot'scage with this mix & wiped it all down. It ended up drying white, so I wiped it all again with warm water. All better! I have to shake this stuff up every time I picked up the bottle, but it got the job done with no yukky smell. (I dislike the smell of Poop-Off!)

Does anyone else have a good cleaner recipe? I couldn't find a vinegar based one, although I really didn't look really hard online. Thanks!

:anyone:
Ohhh I really like that cleaner, I will have to try that and see how it works :) Bet is smells better than that poop off stuff, I don't like the smell either. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I use white vinegar and water. It's a good disinfectant if you don't mind the smell. :)

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Lemon juice and water is really good too, I've used it on Dusty's ss cage and on the stove top as well. Leaves a great yummy smell about the house, it's cheap too.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
I've been using Vinegar and water, however, since I bought the GSE, I'm going to give that a go. I have a question about the Lemon and water...does it have to be kept in the fridge? I love the smell of lemon as well!

Coco's Momma

Real Name
Robin
I use Murphy's Oil Soap mixed with hot water (I do not have any metal to clean). It works especially nice on the flooring, and of course is terrific for cleaning the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.