• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Made a bit of a gamble today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
ETA: If this is in the wrong place, please move it.

A chance find that I didn't want to pass up today is what I mistook as rope.
It's 100% cotton, but it's not quite rope.
It's piping. :o:
I planned to use it to make another net or two and maybe some toys, but now I'm not so sure.

DSCF7633.jpg

I've picked at it a bit and have found that the inner fibers seem to average at an inch in length. It's the thread netting wound about the outside that concerns me. Of course the fiddos wouldn't be allowed to play on it unsupervised, but all the same I'd hate to see some little toes get snagged.

I'm guessing there's at least 500 feet on the spool. Thoughts on the safety? Is this utterly useless for the birds, or might there be some way I can utilize it? :confused: If not I'm sure I can find someone who can put it to use.

I'm taking a strand of it to a bird store tomorrow when I go to pick up my Zupreem order, so I can get the owner's opinion as well since she'll be able to see it in person.

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Nope, not good for making toys or perches. This is a rope that has a very thin synthetic thread wrapped around it. I have seen this before (My X husband and I had a rope factory) and I am not sure what this type is called. I am not sure of the fiber content but I have seen a gerbil get badly tangled in that little shiny thread. I hope another member can tell us what it is. I know that it is dangerous!!
Katherine

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Nope, not good for making toys or perches. This is a rope that has a very thin synthetic thread wrapped around it. I have seen this before (My X husband and I had a rope factory) and I am not sure what this type is called. I am not sure of the fiber content but I have seen a gerbil get badly tangled in that little shiny thread. I hope another member can tell us what it is. I know that it is dangerous!!
Katherine
Darn. I was afraid of that. :o: Shame on me and my impulse-buy.
I shan't be using it, then.

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Yeah, I don't like it. It looks like nylon, maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.