• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Parronts~ How accurate is this info in your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I do have to say that the article needs toadjust the "gentle giant" stuff about Hys and Green wings. As this just isnt always the case when they (usually the males) go into hormones. And perhaps add to the article that hormonal macaws are probably the scariest things alive next to the cockatoos, when they go into full blown attack mode, which does happen.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Actually, after working in the rescue arena and knowing others that still do, I would say that Scarlets are almost never given up, probably more so because they aren't bred nearly as much. B&Gs are probably the most rehomed of the Macaws followed by the Severes.

And yes, every bird is going to be an individual and may not fit the profile but there is a reason for stereotypes.
I don't recall where the statistic came from, but I've seen several people post it. I also know that, based on info she posted today, Jenn of The Bird Nerds has two relinquished Scarlets in her care, 2 GWs, a Harlequin, a B&G, and at least one Severe. I have not worked at a rescue, but I keep an eye on the classified ads--proportionate to their population overall, the Scarlets are rehomed frequently.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
is always asking me, "what are you doing?" :lol:
That's Holly, followed by the response~ a long drawn out "Ohhhhhhhhh":D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't recall where the statistic came from, but I've seen several people post it. I also know that, based on info she posted today, Jenn of The Bird Nerds has two relinquished Scarlets in her care, 2 GWs, a Harlequin, a B&G, and at least one Severe. I have not worked at a rescue, but I keep an eye on the classified ads--proportionate to their population overall, the Scarlets are rehomed frequently.
Maybe it's more of where you are in the country but here in the Midwest, you almost never see Scarlets in rescues. Scarlets do get rehomed, but it tends to be private rehomes. B&Gs are most often rehomed not because they are bad birds or make bad pets but because they are overbred. Severes are rehomed because they tend to make bad pets. This has been my experience from working in rescue and knowing others that do work in rescue.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
as the large macaws go..i am also seeing ALOT of Scarlets given up lately,in bAD shape they are very quick to bite and this has prob been renforced by other homes,also militarys and shamrocks...it is sad because IMO Scarlets and Militarys are so smart but very quick to react to stimilus and in most cases the biting has been so re enforced it takes ALOT and a LONG time to work with it..then you have to worry where they go if the family is really understanding what yo say or they just want a Scarlet because they like their looks..a Scarlet or Military really is a bird you really need to understand IMO...they are verry wonderful smart birds i can teach them so much with out ever touching them,tricks are learned so fast..very eager to learn and quicker to react,asking and waiting for the right body laungage is a must with these macaws more so then the other big macs or you will get some nasty bites..and the more your bird bites the more he is learning to bite

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe it's more of where you are in the country but here in the Midwest, you almost never see Scarlets in rescues. Scarlets do get rehomed, but it tends to be private rehomes. B&Gs are most often rehomed not because they are bad birds or make bad pets but because they are overbred. Severes are rehomed because they tend to make bad pets. This has been my experience from working in rescue and knowing others that do work in rescue.
Yes, I completely agree that the high number of B&Gs is going to make them over-represented in rescues across the country--that is true here in Ohio as well. However, Scarlets are far from rare here. I see them all the time in ads--sometimes, they're plucked but the people still ask large prices for them.

I think people try to sell them more often than relinquishing them. My B&G was given to me, but I've never had anyone offer me a Scarlet for free...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think the reason why you see so many Blue and Golds rehomed, and other macaws, is because those species are so dang overbred, your going to see them rehomed a lot. Even if they are classified as "the best tempered" of the macaws.

Look at BLACK LABS, people say those are the best of breed to have around family and pets and yet if you go to the animal shelter that is mainly what you see,

Over bred = you see them rehomed a lot.

Scarlets and all other species of macaws and parrots are rehomed a lot too, but when you compared them to something is so overbred so thus seen a lot, they will seem far and few to be rehomed.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Just for fun, I just went through the Macaws on Pet Finder. Seven pages, 25 birds per page. 9 Scarlets out of all of them. Most were B&Gs and Green Wings. There were a few RFMs and some Hahn's. Quite a few hybrids and a lot of Severes. There were a few Millitaries as well. And for anyone interested, there was a beautiful Milligold.

I think it's safe to say that Scarlets are not the number one Macaw being given up for adoption...probably not even close. They just aren't being bred as much as the B&Gs and the GWs.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just for fun, I just went through the Macaws on Pet Finder. Seven pages, 25 birds per page. 9 Scarlets out of all of them. Most were B&Gs and Green Wings. There were a few RFMs and some Hahn's. Quite a few hybrids and a lot of Severes. There were a few Millitaries as well. And for anyone interested, there was a beautiful Milligold.
I think it's safe to say that Scarlets are not the number one Macaw being given up for adoption...probably not even close. They just aren't being bred as much as the B&Gs and the GWs.
LOL, I did the same thing. Here are the exact numbers:

Blue and Gold 68
Scarlet 9
Greenwing 11
Military 10
Red Front 3
Severe 12
YCM 9
Hahn's 4
Noble 1

Hybrid:

5 Catalina
3 Ruby
5 Harlequin
5 Miligold
1 Shamrock
1 Unknown

That's if I didn't miss anything (and some of the birds were listed more than once, so it was a little confusing).

It was my understanding that what was being said about Scarlets being rehomed often was 1) proportionate to their numbers in the population overall and 2) not relying solely on the birds being relinquished to rescues. But, I don't know, because I don't have the original data. It is a no-brainer, though, to say that B&Gs are the most often found in rescues. I don't think Titanis would have overlooked that simple truth. But, again, I don't know.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Where the heck is he when you need him.:(:(:(
Those are some sad numbers.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Where the heck is he when you need him.:(:(:(
Yes, they are sad numbers. I think we'll never really be able to tell because we won't know for sure who's breeding what and in what numbers. I do think that the number of B&Gs is much higher because they are bred more often though. I was surprised that the GW number wasn't higher...I was too lazy to count them all!:lol:

I was also surprised by the number of RFMs but maybe this is because they seem to have become so popular lately. A friend of mine is currently looking for a baby and can't seem to find a breeder. It's like they existed and now they don't. Steve Hartman said he stopped breeding them because there wasn't a desire for them. I thought that was interesting.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have a very dear friend who breeds fabulous babies. She has RFM babies right now. She ships too.:) If I had known better, I would have gotten one from her. I love Holly dearly, but she did not get the same kind of start this woman gives her babies. It was because of Holly we have become such good friends though...everything for a reason I guess.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) It sure would be wonderful if Titanis could come back to visit.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Sad numbers indeed. And those are only the ones in rescue who happe to be listed on petfinder. It seems to me that most people think they're entitled to recoup their *investment* and try to sell their birds when they tire of them.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I never asked for one penny when I found Sheba the right home. It was all about making her happy, and getting her to stop mutilating and plucking.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I never asked for one penny when I found Sheba the right home. It was all about making her happy, and getting her to stop mutilating and plucking.
Yes, but unfortunately, most people don't seem to be like that. I can understand asking for money to make sure the new faily is really commited and also financially able to take care of a bird. If I were ever in a position where I had to rehome to someone I didn't know well, I would probably ask for a fee and then deposit it with their avian vet so they would have a nice credit for vet care.

Status
Not open for further replies.