• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

macaw lover here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregg Williams

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gregg
He-lloooo!

Im new here. Not new to parrots. I have many macaws, which I want to breed.

Im here to get more information on;

• size of avery that each pair of mac's should be in
  • Diet for the breeding bird
  • How many perches/branches should be in the avery? Should they have room to fly?
I have talked to quite a few blue and yellow macaw breeders, and many say a minimum of 6x6x6 avery should be good. I see pics of their averys, but they do not have many branches, maybe one or two, and no toys. Is this usual?

My pet macaw (a blue throat and a red front) are in big cages and lots of toys. My breeders (3 pairs of blue and yellow, 2 green wings, 1 hy, 1 blue throat, 2 rfm, 2 yellow collared and Im looking into getting a couple hybrid scarlet macaw pairs, they are all in large cages, but I want them to be in something bigger, when they breed.

More questions;
  • How many clutches should they be alowed to have per year
  • How big of nest box for smaller speces and larger?
Right now all of my birds, and pets, are on zupreem breeder blend natural parrot size, sometimes a piece of apple or fruit,etc, and many nuts.

I hop to get the answers I need to produce lots of beautiful babies.

Greg

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to Avian Avenue :)

6x6x6 would definitely be minumum, they would not be able to fly in that though. I have a 6x12x6 for two goffin cockatoos and its a nice siz for them, but they are much smaller than Macs. Unfortunately it is common to not have a lot of branches and toys, but it should NOT be that way. Wether they breed or not they should have places to perch and things to do (shred toys and such).

As far as diet, they really should have fresh foods daily (veggies primarily). Macs also do better with nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc).

Here is a video of some of my aviaries (Id still like them to be even bigger). The goffins are in a 6x12x6 and the amazons are in 4x6x8

Parrotlove

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Barbie
Welcome to our Flock. We are so glad you joined us at Avian Avenue. Would love to see pictures of your birds as well and hear stories about each of them. Hug's Barb and Isis

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
  • size of avery that each pair of mac's should be in
  • Diet for the breeding bird
  • How many perches/branches should be in the avery? Should they have room to fly?
I have talked to quite a few blue and yellow macaw breeders, and many say a minimum of 6x6x6 avery should be good. I see pics of their averys, but they do not have many branches, maybe one or two, and no toys. Is this usual?

More questions;
  • How many clutches should they be alowed to have per year
  • How big of nest box for smaller speces and larger?
Right now all of my birds, and pets, are on zupreem breeder blend natural parrot size, sometimes a piece of apple or fruit,etc, and many nuts.
Personally, I think they should be treated as well as you would your pet.
Lots of perches
Fresh Food (veggies/fruit) every day
Lots of shredding toys, opportunities
Foraging opportunities
Harrison's bird food is really good, imo better than most

I would invest in the largest habitat you can afford.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
What are your reasons for wanting to breed your macaws? How long have you owned birds?

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dont they? :D You should hear them first thing in the morning when I feed :eek: Im certain they have all caused me some hearing loss (no joke) :eek:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

I do not know where You are located,But You should probably check Your area and be sure that There is a want/need for the Babies that You hope to produce.I Bred birds many years ago but when I moved from NY to NC I decided it was best to NOT Bring many of My Breeding birds here-because everyone and Their Uncles were already breeding them!(Just something to think about)

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
:welave: Gregg!! :)

You'll find a lot of macaw lovers on this forum. I would be very interested to read more about your macaws. There is a section devoted to this family over here, whenever you'd like to post pictures and talk about your flock. :cool10:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Welcome to the Avenue!

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Jill so happy to see your guys in lg aviarys

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to The Avenue!:)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
welcome!!!

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Welcome to the Avenue. Enjoy exploring the neighborhood. Lots of experienced Macaw parronts on here.

Gregg Williams

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gregg
Welcome to Avian Avenue :)

6x6x6 would definitely be minumum, they would not be able to fly in that though. I have a 6x12x6 for two goffin cockatoos and its a nice siz for them, but they are much smaller than Macs. Unfortunately it is common to not have a lot of branches and toys, but it should NOT be that way. Wether they breed or not they should have places to perch and things to do (shred toys and such).

As far as diet, they really should have fresh foods daily (veggies primarily). Macs also do better with nuts (walnuts, pecans, etc).

Here is a video of some of my aviaries (Id still like them to be even bigger). The goffins are in a 6x12x6 and the amazons are in 4x6x8

Very nice aviaries, very happy looking birds.

But how would I do the same for large macaws? If your smaller parrots are in a 6x12x6 aviary, thats a nice size. How big should my macaws me in? Would 12x6x6 be a decent size too? And would there be any room for flight and good excercise and health. Also, what kind of aviary mesh is that? Where'd did you get it?

Gw

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.