• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw Adventures 2023

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm so sorry.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm so sorry, that's just tragic and the poor gal that was her mom must be heart broken too. I'd hate to be the person responsible for what happened right now.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This sucks and I even hate to write about it.

Today I heard that our girl Bo is gone. She turned a year old on August 2nd, and she's gone. Her owner has absolutely no fault in this. She is amazing and did all the right things. For the short time they were together, Bo knew she was loved and gave it back many times over. Despite being warned not to multiple times, someone in the house used the self-cleaning cycle on the oven while she was out.

There is so much I could say, but I'm too heartbroken to say much else.

Please - don't use the self-cleaning cycle on your oven. Your bird will die.
Words can't even express how deeply sorry I am for you and Bo's momma. What an absolute tragedy that didn't have to happen,I wish so much that this feature didnt exist. Again I'm just so sorry :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry to hear this. :(

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh that's so sad heartbreaking.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
So sorry.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
This sucks and I even hate to write about it.

Today I heard that our girl Bo is gone. She turned a year old on August 2nd, and she's gone. Her owner has absolutely no fault in this. She is amazing and did all the right things. For the short time they were together, Bo knew she was loved and gave it back many times over. Despite being warned not to multiple times, someone in the house used the self-cleaning cycle on the oven while she was out.

There is so much I could say, but I'm too heartbroken to say much else.

Please - don't use the self-cleaning cycle on your oven. Your bird will die.
This is so sad so sorry to hear this love to you all

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been a rough couple of weeks, but life moves on.

Here is Sandy, enjoying a cashew. It's the little things that make her happy.

Squeak

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
It's been a rough couple of weeks, but life moves on.

Here is Sandy, enjoying a cashew. It's the little things that make her happy.

Squeak
I had wondered what your bird store was... Thanks for the connection! WONDERFUL looking place!

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have two baby red-fronted macaws that moved into a cage of their own this week. The DNA came back and we have two girls. I can already see a personality difference in them. One is reserved and the other is in your face. They eat differently too. The reserved one will take the syringe of formula and be very delicate about how she eats. She takes about 30ml, and then waits for a bit and takes some more, then another break and she finishes what I offer her. The other one just sucks it down all at once. They hatched the last week of July, so we're coming up on 2 months old.

IMG_0920.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have two baby red-fronted macaws that moved into a cage of their own this week. The DNA came back and we have two girls. I can already see a personality difference in them. One is reserved and the other is in your face. They eat differently too. The reserved one will take the syringe of formula and be very delicate about how she eats. She takes about 30ml, and then waits for a bit and takes some more, then another break and she finishes what I offer her. The other one just sucks it down all at once. They hatched the last week of July, so we're coming up on 2 months old.

View attachment 434677
Oh my goodness! Look at those precious little angels :heart: . I cant wait to see and hear more about them as they grow.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewy had a shower this morning. He's molting pretty badly and he's been smelling a little funky. I'm not brave enough to get into the walk-in shower with him. One wet angry macaw going after my feet would be a disaster. So I got a towel and put him into the tub. He just stood there and gave me a look. Chewy is clearly not impressed, but he smells a little better. I'll try the walk-in the next time. There will be more room for him to move around and maybe he will enjoy it more.

IMG_0930.jpeg IMG_0932.jpeg

SumitaSinh

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewy had a shower this morning. He's molting pretty badly and he's been smelling a little funky. I'm not brave enough to get into the walk-in shower with him. One wet angry macaw going after my feet would be a disaster. So I got a towel and put him into the tub. He just stood there and gave me a look. Chewy is clearly not impressed, but he smells a little better. I'll try the walk-in the next time. There will be more room for him to move around and maybe he will enjoy it more.

View attachment 434686 View attachment 434687
Do macaws smell?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Matthew
When mine go out in the aviary, they seem to exude a strong citrus smell.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poppy went to the vet today for a checkup. She was looking ragged and it seemed that she had become very thin. The vet was able to pull up the records from her previous owner and compare the last visit to today. She's only a few grams different in weight from before and after a complete physical the vet said she has no concerns. The vet said she looks a bit disheveled, but she is molting right now. There was a lot of attitude during the exam, and when she was done she refused to let me pick her up again. Poppy thought that getting under the chair and lunging at me was going to work, but I waved a towel at her and she ran out from under the chair - right into her carrier.

IMG_1008.jpeg

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poppy went to the vet today for a checkup. She was looking ragged and it seemed that she had become very thin. The vet was able to pull up the records from her previous owner and compare the last visit to today. She's only a few grams different in weight from before and after a complete physical the vet said she has no concerns. The vet said she looks a bit disheveled, but she is molting right now. There was a lot of attitude during the exam, and when she was done she refused to let me pick her up again. Poppy thought that getting under the chair and lunging at me was going to work, but I waved a towel at her and she ran out from under the chair - right into her carrier.

View attachment 435150
Aww she maybe spicy sometimes but my goodness is she gorgeous! Glad to hear that the vet doesn't think anything is wrong with her.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Feisty beautiful girl.