• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Macaw acting weird! (sad update post #20)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She passed at the vet, i came down not long before she passed and she died in my arms, not long after i arrived, he thinks she was waiting for me as she was distressed with my partner and him, but when i came she died within minutes, suspected injury from falling off perch but we are deciding whether to do an autopsy or not as I'd like to respect her I'm not sure if I can do it

Family is very upset she was like a child to me she loved me as much as I loved her, this is the first time I've lost a pet like this i can't help but blame myself and am feeling very guilty, I've never had to deal with these things before I have been sick all day
Oh no! Oh I'm so terribly sorry,you did everything you could for her and got her to the vet. I'm so so very sorry that the outcome wasn't better.

Redrum

Sitting on the front steps
Oh no! Oh I'm so terribly sorry,you did everything you could for her and got her to the vet. I'm so so very sorry that the outcome wasn't better.

Tried my best I'm just questioning why and what if and have a huge amount of guilt in me I know it's only natural but she was like a child it feels like I have lost family. I actually prefer her over most people. I'm sick to the stomach, I am looking at getting her cremated and having an urn etc, took feathers as well. I will never forget her.

Redrum

I at least gave her peaceful passing I made it in time she passed in my hands I spoke to her and she made a couple noises then went another place she was almost relieved when I arrived and just passed soon as I got there within minutes, she was uneasy with my partner

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Tried my best I'm just questioning why and what if and have a huge amount of guilt in me I know it's only natural but she was like a child it feels like I have lost family. I actually prefer her over most people. I'm sick to the stomach, I am looking at getting her cremated and having an urn etc, took feathers as well. I will never forget her.
That's one of the hardest parts of having parrots especially is they are just so sensitive and delicate. When my beloved Nala died very unexpectedly in the vets hands after I rushed her to the vet I did get a necropsy done to at least try to get some answers and I was "lucky" that it was easy to see that she had atherosclerosis and her heart was "a ticking time bomb" so I knew it was nothing I did and I was able to have some closure though nothing took the pain of her loss away.

Unfortunately often times necropsy are inconclusive but its definitely something to consider if you want to attempt to find out what happened with the possibility of an answer being found.

• Love
Reactions: tka

Redrum

That's one of the hardest parts of having parrots especially is they are just so sensitive and delicate. When my beloved Nala died very unexpectedly in the vets hands after I rushed her to the vet I did get a necropsy done to at least try to get some answers and I was "lucky" that it was easy to see that she had atherosclerosis and her heart was "a ticking time bomb" so I knew it was nothing I did and I was able to have some closure though nothing took the pain of her loss away.

Unfortunately often times necropsy are inconclusive but its definitely something to consider if you want to attempt to find out what happened with the possibility of an answer being found.
Sorry about the loss

I'm on the fence about necropsy but I want answers, I've made arrangements to get her cremated I'd rather do that and have her live on with us, I just can't shake the last moments she had with me I've never had anything die with me I'm happy I did that for her as she was at peace but at the same time I'm overly devastated, I really don't know if I'll get past it.

Im just confused she passed so quickly but as I dig deeper on forums it's fairly common for them to go downhill and pass its crucial to get them help in time and even that doesn't help sometimes, it's a cruel world sometimes makes me question if there is really someone upstairs.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the loss

I'm on the fence about necropsy but I want answers, I've made arrangements to get her cremated I'd rather do that and have her live on with us, I just can't shake the last moments she had with me I've never had anything die with me I'm happy I did that for her as she was at peace but at the same time I'm overly devastated, I really don't know if I'll get past it.

Im just confused she passed so quickly but as I dig deeper on forums it's fairly common for them to go downhill and pass its crucial to get them help in time and even that doesn't help sometimes, it's a cruel world sometimes makes me question if there is really someone upstairs.
It should be possible to get her cremated after the necropsy and get her ashes back that's what I did with Nala if that's something your concerned about.
I'm glad you were able to be with her that's definitely a "gift" that a lot of folks don't get when it comes to their feather babies suddenly passing.

Sadly that's very true you can notice something right away and get them the best help possible and still they don't make it and its extremely unfair and just so heartbreaking.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry for your loss.

Redrum

It should be possible to get her cremated after the necropsy and get her ashes back that's what I did with Nala if that's something your concerned about.
I'm glad you were able to be with her that's definitely a "gift" that a lot of folks don't get when it comes to their feather babies suddenly passing.

Sadly that's very true you can notice something right away and get them the best help possible and still they don't make it and its extremely unfair and just so heartbreaking.

I still don't understand she was screaming talking eating everything normal then 2 days later she's gone.

They definitely don't show symptoms I am mad at myself I feel so guilty.

Are there any symptoms to look for besides the obvious that I saw? Because I saw no symptoms before that at all.

Do you think it's a good idea to get a print done and hang it on the wall alongside the urn with ashes? That's all I can think of to honour her and show her that our love will be forever.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.