• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

M-Star's follow up

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I would say Lories are some of the more difficult bird to keep, due to their susceptibility to bacterial and fungal infections. Diligence must be maintained that their environment is kept clean, food bowls and water changed regularly, etc. If you keep them, and keep them well, it says a lot about your avian husbandry. And as you mentioned, some can just be even more delicate due to mutations and possible sensitivity. :hug8:

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It is the one thing that is taxing, the daily wiping down of the cage, removing left over foods, changing papers and constant water changes.

But then you sit down and this fluttering shape lands next to you squeaking little baby squeals and wanting a scritch and a play. You can't help but smile and be rest assured it IS worth the effort. :)

I do panic when I get home and I know that their water will be low due to bathing and messy due to nectar and other deposits like poop. However, over the now nearly four years we have had them, you get used to the runny poo and the colours. You can see when food has affected it and when you need to take them for a crop and poop swab.

MC and Millow left a legacy of vigilance and learning. For me they didn't pass in vain and I hope what I learn and continue to learn can be passed onto other lory owners and prospective owners. :)

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Wow you have a lot to deal with! Yay for M Star!!! :)

Reactions: JAM