• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lump under skin on Parrot - 3rd Opinion in Chicago

CityGreen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Monica
Hello, I'm at a crossroads with what to do and terribly upset. My parrot has a lump under his skin below and behind his ear. I'd post a picture if I could, but his skin is perfect and the lump is getting larger about 1 cm. My parrot is 28 years old or older, we are his third home so we're not sure how old he is for certain.

One doctor said it was an infected feather sac, drained some fluid from it, gave us meds and said bring him back if it grows again. When I brought him back because the lump got larger, a different doctor at the same practice didn't drain or even SEE the lump, then when it was pointed out to her she just said he needed surgery it's a benign cyst.

They can't both be right, can they? Has anyone had any experience with this sort of diagnosis?

I have to bring him to a third vet, if anyone has any experience with Dr. Cory Loxtercamp at VCA in Worth, IL or Dr Byron de la Navarre at Animal House in Chicago please let me know, or if you have another Chicago area avian veterinarian I can bring him to. He used to see Dr. Sakas at Niles Animal Hospital but he sadly passed away in April of this year.

Any recommendations or referrals greatly appreciated, thank you so much for your help.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, Dr. Sakas was a good one. A lot of people miss him a lot for their bird's sake.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Did you still bring him to Sakas's clinic? If you are pretty forceful and tell them exactly what you want they will do it. You could have a cytology done on the fluid or if it's actually a mass you could have a biopsy done.

CityGreen

Real Name
Monica
Yes, Dr Abete at Niles Animal diagnosed it as a feather cyst and said the fluid "appeared" infected, we gave him all the meds but it has started growing again. I don't think they tested the fluid in any way, or there would have been results or more notes in his paperwork. He had a physical afterwards, he is showing signs of liver disease but otherwise in good shape.

Does anyone know what the cost is on a surgery?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, Dr Abete at Niles Animal diagnosed it as a feather cyst and said the fluid "appeared" infected, we gave him all the meds but it has started growing again. I don't think they tested the fluid in any way, or there would have been results or more notes in his paperwork. He had a physical afterwards, he is showing signs of liver disease but otherwise in good shape.

Does anyone know what the cost is on a surgery?
I would have Dr. Abete look at him again and test the fluid. Have you brought him back and had her look a second time?

CityGreen

Real Name
Monica
Yes, but he got a different doctor who missed the lump. Do you think it would be better for him to see her again, or try a different veterinarian?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes, but he got a different doctor who missed the lump. Do you think it would be better for him to see her again, or try a different veterinarian?
I want to have faith in that clinic as I also used Dr. Sakas. You can specify which vet you want to see when you go. Ask for Dr. Abete and don't leave until she finds the lump.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I took MC to Dr. Welle in Champaign at the University of IL. Awesome, awesome guy.

I spent money on tests, surgery, etc and we ultimately lost him to cancer..... but the surgery there was phenomenal.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
@CityGreen

I've been where you are and so have several others here. We care and we know the fear and the heartache of the scare.

CityGreen

Real Name
Monica
We go back to the doc in a few days, at least the weather should be good but I'm really scared that he'll need surgery. The lump near his ear is larger than when they drained it this summer. If they say the surgery is more than a couple of hundred I know we won't be able to afford it. Please keep your fingers crossed for him and thank you all for your support, I'm very greatful.

Hugs,
CityGreen

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
There is an option for credit, I think it's called care credit?

I know it's hard but MC could have lived a long life after his surgery if that cancer hadn't gotten him.

I spent more on vet care than most people would have (because his tumor involved blood veins and local vet gave him extremely low chance of survival during surgery) but I wanted my buddy to have every chance possible. He came through that surgery with flying colors. He was a fighter.