• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovies for older people

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
With all my research on birds for my partner and I, we began to wonder about a bird who might suit his mother. Currently we rent a room from her and she lets the birds stay because she loves them, but when we leave, they are coming with us. Anyway, long story short, we are considering helping her get a small bird. She loves conures but due to her age and health problems, she doesn't want a bird that lives so long. My first thought was of lovebirds. I know they don't live as long and are tiny clowns while also tending to be cuddlebugs!
What do you think of lovebirds? Your opinion and experiences with them? Would you recommend one for a mature woman with an empty house? She's pretty active and likes animals, but isn't fond of research which is why we would like to help her! Lest she end up with a screaming umbrella too!

maddie

Real Name
Malene
I have recommended the same for my 75 year old Mom, who lost her darling Saluki girl last year and doesn't want a new dog, because she says she can't expect to be able to walk a dog for another 10 years or so. I've recommended a handfed, lutino pf lovebird male, like my Tequila, who is such a sweet tempered cuddlebug.

Of course, there is always the issue of one lovebird vs two lovebirds, will they fight, will they bond, will they bond with their human or with each other, but that's an issue to be sorted out if and when my Mom says she would like me to help her get settled in with a baby bird.

My AV says that lovebird males are less aggressive than females, and lutinos are even sweeter still.

Another issue is the noise level. Sally and Tequila does whistle and (contact) call quite a bit, especially when they want our attention, but I wouldn't say that they scream at all. Sally sings herself to sleep, which is a really cute sort of noise and in no way annoying.

I think the only thing on the negative side of the +/- list is that they are rather messy. Forget about toilet training (oh, perhaps I just gave up too soon) so those little poops drop everywhere, and seeds go everywhere, as they are very active little birds, but given a really nice living environment, spacious cage, toys, etc, they are really funny little birds. Lots of entertainment :)

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I'm a senior with a passion for lovebirds. I've had 4....one at a time. The first two were wonderful companions and my favorite birds ever...out of 60 years of having a bird. The 3rd was a hand-fed Fischer's hen who would put a piranha to shame :jawdrop1: My fourth, and current, is a parent-raised Fischer's male who came to me at 8 months with NO socialization. We are working on it. Fifteen months later he loves me...he is at the moment doing a passionate courting ritual on my shoulder...but will have NOTHING to do with my hands. I absolutely cannot touch him. Forget about stepping up. I list these birds because nothing is certain. If you could find her one like my first two, I would say, "Good choice". Another consideration...a budgie. My CAV thinks a hand-raised male budgie is the ideal companion bird. They are hard to find...I've only had one. I've had many budgies but only one hand-fed one and he was WONDERFUL. Budgies are great little birds. Easy to socialize, funny, less demanding of their human than a lovebird, make wonderful happy sounds making them a joy to be around. They don't live as long as a lovebird, either. And many of them learn to talk. The males are more likely to talk and are less aggressive than the hens, but I've had several wonderful little budgie hens over the years. My first ever bird was a budgie. Good luck on your hunt. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have lovebird experience but I think a cockatiel is something to consider too. :)

Hrtofau2

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I don't have lovebird experience but I think a cockatiel is something to consider too. :)

I was about to suggest the same thing. Also, while I have never been bit by a Lovie, I have heard bites can be nasty. Which is something to consider in older people. (Skin does become thin with age). A Tiel is a great size, males tend to be good talkers, and they have wonderful personalities ~ I would say closer to the conures then a lovie. Plus the added benefit that their bites tend to be less damaging.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Lovebirds do nip a lot. Zazu has already broken my skin twice today. Both times were because he accidentally bit me instead of the evil remote control. It's a regular occurrence, despite being a relatively calm male. But boy, can they ever make great cuddlers and overall companions. Zazu will gladly hang out with the family in the evening and enjoys just sitting on someone's arm. Or if he's in a busier mood, he will chew some newspaper or a shredding toy while the family watches TV. If his mother is interested in a cuddly bird, a lovebird may suit her, but I've heard that the cuddly factor is highly variable with lovebirds. Zazu will gladly snuggle into my hand and enjoy a nice cheek massage. It is very relaxing for both me and him!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I so agree with hand raised Budgies, especially the English type. I too am a senior and budgies of the English type only have a life span of 8 to 10 years. That makes them a good bird for elders.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
While I do think lovies make great pets I would suggest looking for a rescue budgie or one that someone just doesn't have the time for. A male perhaps because they can learn how to talk and your mother might enjoy countless hours teaching one to say something. They are just the most comical little birds!

ShinyTimeyWimey

Moving in
Real Name
Heather
I have had two hand raised budgies and two that were patent raised. One of each were awesome hands on pets and one of each want nothing to do with humans... Is a personality thing. The one hand raised who loved me though was the only one of the four who lived with me alone. Also, when I went to the breeder, that bored was super interested in me... They can be absolutely wonderful pets!

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
I think lovebirds are wonderful birds! but true they are nippy from time too time I would think a hand raise budgie or English budgies they make really loving birds too! :heart: :smuggrin: oh and Canary Winged Parrots are really sweet!. I have one and they love attention and will sit on your shoulder for hours!.

Last edited:

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
I'd love to rescue one! But we have a whole of one parrot rescue in Aus! And majority of the birds are suns and cockatoos ): I always watch it when I'm looking for a bird. And budgies seem to just be passed from friend to friend. Rehomed birds seem rather few and far between around here, particularly tiels and budgies. Handraised budgies are even harder come by -_-

Speaking of such, I considered a tiel (and still am - I plan to put A LOT of thought into this as we need to push the correct species, she will go simply by looks, as I said, not big on research) but she loves watching the comical antics of my conure. She likes Smokie too who is much more tiel like but she prefers to play with Yoshi. I'm not teeeerribly worried about biting as Yoshi bites a lot being a conure and she plays with him all the time. All this said, she actually could enjoy the talking aspect of a budgie! Not being a bird person though, I'd worry she would think of a budgie like a goldfish.

Ah! A bird would definitely suit her, it's just a matter of what sort. I have to put consideration into the way she perceives birds too - I mean, when she nearly got another dog a while back, it had to be a small dog but it had to be a 'dog-dog' (no maltese, yorkies, poodles, ect) and it couldn't be a prissy dog (beagle, pug, corgi, ect.) and no terriers; she tends to judge animals by who owns them typically. So when choosing an animal for her, you have to choose carefully!! Haha. She loves animals, she's just an odd woman. We are hoping a bird will stop her from getting another dog for a while as she needs to take a break! She doesn't have the strength or energy to walk them or train them, she let's the kelpie x have run of the house so it is quite aggressive, she just needs to have a different pet of her own she could handle better and she absolutely adores the birds. She knows decent care and training from me caring for my guys and she will direct questions to us more often than not so she has pretty good skills with them compared to the dogs who she likes to think she 'knows all about'. I just try to remember she tries, she does what she believes is best for them, she just doesn't like listening to other opinions when she thinks she knows better.

SO yeah, bit of background there so you can see why I went for the lesser-known small birds. Just a matter of balancing her strange outlook and what would suit her! I think a linnie would actually be ideal but again, not in Australia! Unless I'm willing to part with $600!

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
Well you go what your heart is saying if you think a lovebird or some other kind of bird will be better for her then go for it! it is what's going too make her happy!. :smuggrin:

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
How does she feel about noise?

One thing to keep in mind, I'm not sure of her age or health issues but lovies can still live 15-25 years (with 15 being a good 'average.' Peanut turns 14 in May.)
I don't know how much time she feels like she has, but hopefully it's at least that.

I normally encourage people to keep their minds open to female lovebirds, which are more prone to territorial aggression, but maybe a DNAd male would be best for this situation. They are generally sweeter and less prone to copping an attitude than the hens. The eye ring species, I've heard, are more skittish but less aggressive than peach faces.
Both genders can be cuddly and sweet though, just females being more aggro.
My hen Peanut, who was handfed as a baby, is a little snuggle-bug who only bites me when I deserve it! :lol:
(And I can usually go a couple months at least before I mess up that badly. But it did take years to get to that point with the bites, but I may have been a slow learner.)

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
Sondra, she is a fair health nut these days and only 50, she feels she has a long while left but due to conures being able to live up to nearly 40 years at times, a lovebird is much more applicable.

Noise wise, she currently lives with our conure and princess parrot plus the 30-50 lorikeets she feeds daily (noise gets to a point different levels just aren't identifiable) so I'm very confident she could manage a lovebird :) though they make noise more often, we've met several (we initially did a lot of research into a good species and visited many bird stores to see sizes and hear noises), it tends to be quieter than our pair.

I'm thinking male will be best, personally I would be open to hens but due to her not being hugely into birds and just wanting a fun, loving pet and companion, I think male will be best. But I've suggested to my partner she come see a breeder with us when it is time and pick the one she loves.

Luckily I have a lot of research time, we aren't really looking at moving and getting her a bird or any of that until late this year, early next year.

And we are considering a budgie but are uncertain if she would fully appreciate the care a budgie needs as opposed to a lovebird. I'm sure everyone has mums, dads or other relatives/friends who are older and like to think they know best in many things! She has learnt care standards for 'more exotic birds' from myself and is much more likely to appreciate the large amounts of attention and care it needs. She still has the old time view of budgies being a lot like goldfish!

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
We have a little lovie boy named Melon who does not fit the stereotypes you often hear about lovies. He is super quiet, never bites, loves everybody, and is an all around fantastic companion. He is 5 years old, and is just as sweet as can be. My son, 11 years old now, is his primary "owner", and they adore each other. Their bond is one like I have never seen....incredibly sweet and gentle, and truly best friends. I think a lovie can be a perfect companion, but that you have the best shot at that, with a male. And, as they always say, every bird is different. But, this has been our experience. And, since a picture is worth a 1000 words, here is what I am talking about.... hee hee...

lovbirdlover

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
N/A
i just got two love birds today and I asked my ant to cut there wings an one of them bit her and my ant bled a little, I would recommend a budgie or a hand tame love bird. that's my opinion. hope it helped. :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I LOVE lovebirds. But they're not as "cuddly" as people think. They're almost like having a toddler with wings. They're VERY active and silly, anything they can get into they will get into. They aren't in the same place for very long. I've had 4 total lovebirds over my whole life and worked with many others thanks to working at a pet store. Lovebird bites can be VERY nasty but they don't bite that often.

Bubbles use to always love to fly over to our shoulders and chirp away in happiness :xflove: Now while it was very cute it also made you feel deaf for a little while after. They're not as LOUD as a conure but the pitch of their chirp can be ear piercing.

Cyreen

If she has some bird experience, than I think a Lovebird is a good choice. I also recommend a male for the previously stated reasons. In my experience, even a hand-trained, sweet lovable Lovie can misplace their brain and be silly skittish at times. I agree with Erica's "toddler with wings" description. They are no where near the worst bite I've ever gotten, but they can cut skin.

Aequa

Real Name
Caity
She definitely has experience with handling my boys. They are two extremes too so I'd not doubt her with any sort of personality, hands off, crazy, quiet, cuddly or anything. She has become rather decent at handling them. Especially as Smokie is a fantastic teacher, she kept turning around to look at him on her shoulder thinking he wouldn't do anything, he grabbed her eyelid! However, being Smokie, he didn't bite down, just held it, obviously it wasn't nice but it didn't hurt. And now she knows to take him off her shoulder to talk to him! She's learning what attracts them and to avoid bites!