• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird taming

Status
Not open for further replies.

tammie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammie
I am looking for another lovebird after I lost mine. I found a guy that has 1 for sale that was parent fed but has only been weaned for about a week. Would it be possible to tame one like this??
I can't find anyone near me that has any or is planning on having any; but I want to be sure that I have a tame one, or can tame it with some work.

Thanks in advance for any response.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
How old is he? Yes, you can tame him if your willing to take your time. It may take a up to a year or more.

You have to go on his time table. Lots of gentle words, slow careful movements, absolutely no chasing with the hands and tons of treats for the slightest friendly behavior.

It's best to work with him in a small room so you have a little more control over the area.

Ginger

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Have you spoken to Tamara and Rodney from TLA?

I highly recommend them for socialized lovebirds. They are both members here.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
It's definitely possible to tame the lovie - but as Ginger said, it will take time and lots of patience.

Also, if you do end up with this little guy, I'd ask to wait a couple more weeks to make sure he is totally weaned and doesn't regress.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Thanks for your answers and advice. The baby is only about 8 weeks old. So I was thinking it may be easy to tame, just not sure. Right now it is in an aviary with other lovies, parents and siblings.

I have sent an email to Tamara and Rodney, so I'll definitely wait and see what they may have.

Thanks!!

Jorg S.

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jorg S
Tammie where in NC are you?
I have been looking for some breeder pairs and came across a few people that had some babies.
If it doesn't work out with TLA maybe I can give you a couple of numbers.

True Love Aviary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Rodney Money
Thanks for your answers and advice. The baby is only about 8 weeks old. So I was thinking it may be easy to tame, just not sure. Right now it is in an aviary with other lovies, parents and siblings.

I have sent an email to Tamara and Rodney, so I'll definitely wait and see what they may have.

Thanks!!
Sent you one back!

Status
Not open for further replies.