• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird taming

animalgirl

Meeting neighbors
I've had my lovebird, Mango, for about a month now, and I'm still having trouble with taming.
He doesn't like millet. I've put it in his food bowl for him to sample, and he did try it, but he just did not like it.
He is super picky, and won't eat any fruits or veggies. He doesn't like walnuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds.
He will let me go up to his cage and drop in a seed into his bowl. He does come out of his cage, and he enjoys sitting on top of his cage on his perch eating seeds. He usually goes back in by himself after 10 to 20 minutes.
I don't know how to go about taming him, or getting him on my finger, or even to sit on a stick I'm holding. Because he doesn't like millet, I can't really give him treats because the seeds he does like are incredibly small, and he is too scared to take them from me.
He sure does have a personality. I have such a weird bird. :lol:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A few people swear by safflower seeds!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hold your hand flat with his favourite seeds in your palm while he’s on top of cage make sure your seeds in your hand are only available food outside of cage put your hand close but not touching him or too close if that makes sense see if he will come for a nibble or try a bowl in your hand to start with

flannel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
deadflannel
How have you gotten on with your bird @animalgirl ? I’m in a similar situation with my budgie.

7assann

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, i have just gotten a peachfaced lovebird, he is already trained but i havent "tamed" him or gained his trust, if I wanna tame him is it better to take him out of his cage and go around the house or just keep him in his cage?

animalgirl

Meeting neighbors
How have you gotten on with your bird @animalgirl ? I’m in a similar situation with my budgie.
Hi! Sorry I didn't look at this earlier!
Mango is very tame now, and I am working on recall training with him. (He eventually started liking millet)