• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird species personality?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What are different lovebird species like, particularly peach faced, black masked and Fischer’s?

Are some more outgoing, more interactive with their human, quieter than others, friendlier with other birds, etc.?

Doing some research for potential future adoption opportunities.

Thank you.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The peachfaced are supposedly the more friendly of those three species, while the others (Eyering types) are said to be a little more "nippy". Make of that as you will as we all know how birds are.

I don't know about the eye ring types, but male peach faced lovebirds are in general quite friendly. All of my boys are friendly. Putting a lot of time into the bird and introducing them to house guests can help them be social with humans.

Peachfaced are also the largest of those three species with a wider wingspan and carrying a few grams extra weight.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The peachfaced are supposedly the more friendly of those three species, while the others (Eyering types) are said to be a little more "nippy". Make of that as you will as we all know how birds are.

I don't know about the eye ring types, but male peach faced lovebirds are in general quite friendly. All of my boys are friendly. Putting a lot of time into the bird and introducing them to house guests can help them be social with humans.

Peachfaced are also the largest of those three species with a wider wingspan and carrying a few grams extra weight.
Thank you for the insights! I’ve always loved lovebirds.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I’ve always loved lovebirds.
I had always fancied bringing home a Taranta, and when I saw them in person they were so wonderful. Maybe one day.... :cloud9:

But then I had always wanted a green Personatus (Black masked / yellow collared) - with a nice deep black mask, pure.

Fischeri is one of the species I am drawn to the least, and I don't know why...

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I have all three of those species and love them all! There's something about the "eyering" though that I find so adorable. It gives the bird such a unique appearance! Seriously, when I saw my first eyering lovebird, I was in love. There's lots of beautiful Lovebirds and mutations, but I would say my favorite is a wild type Fischer Lovebird. It's simply one of the most beautiful birds in the world.

As for differences in the species...
The eyering's sound slightly different from the Peachfaced. But as far as personality, each is unique. I really wouldn't make any generalizations about them.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve always admired the Fischer’s most. I don’t know why & have never seen any of the lovebird species in person.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have all three of those species and love them all! There's something about the "eyering" though that I find so adorable. It gives the bird such a unique appearance! Seriously, when I saw my first eyering lovebird, I was in love. There's lots of beautiful Lovebirds and mutations, but I would say my favorite is a wild type Fischer Lovebird. It's simply one of the most beautiful birds in the world.

As for differences in the species...
The eyering's sound slightly different from the Peachfaced. But as far as personality, each is unique. I really wouldn't make any generalizations about them.
I’ve always loved the look of the Fischer’s too, and wish there were more around.

I’ve looked up some videos, and it seems like the pitch of the black masked lovebird’s call is not as high and sharp as the peach faced. Is that true?

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I’ve looked up some videos, and it seems like the pitch of the black masked lovebird’s call is not as high and sharp as the peach faced. Is that true?
They can all be obnoxious in their vocalizations, trust me! lol
Hmmm..I wouldn't say it's not as high pitched, it's just at times the eyerings make a clicking sound that the Peachfaced don't. What's weird is that there are times during the day when all the Peachfaced are really noisy talking to each other, and other times when the Eyerings are all vocalizing with each other. It's almost like they speak different languages?
One thing I will add that I noticed in my Lovebird clan... The males are the ones who are always being the trouble makers! And if you shoo them away from something, they NEVER listen! The second you're going back to what you were doing they're right back into it again! Over and over! lol Whereas the females heed your warning. That's just something I've noticed over the years.

I’ve always admired the Fischer’s most. I don’t know why & have never seen any of the lovebird species in person.
The colors on the Wild type Fishers and Blackmasked are more vibrant than the Wild type Peachfaced. I have all different mutations of Lovebirds and as I stated earlier...to me, the Wild type Fischer is not only the most beautiful of all the Lovebirds and their mutations, but it's one of the most beautiful parrots in the world. The Wild type Blackmasked are very striking as well (and CUTE), but they lack the Red and Orange colors that the Fischers have.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They can all be obnoxious in their vocalizations, trust me! lol
Hmmm..I wouldn't say it's not as high pitched, it's just at times the eyerings make a clicking sound that the Peachfaced don't. What's weird is that there are times during the day when all the Peachfaced are really noisy talking to each other, and other times when the Eyerings are all vocalizing with each other. It's almost like they speak different languages?
One thing I will add that I noticed in my Lovebird clan... The males are the ones who are always being the trouble makers! And if you shoo them away from something, they NEVER listen! The second you're going back to what you were doing they're right back into it again! Over and over! lol Whereas the females heed your warning. That's just something I've noticed over the years.

The colors on the Wild type Fishers and Blackmasked are more vibrant than the Wild type Peachfaced. I have all different mutations of Lovebirds and as I stated earlier...to me, the Wild type Fischer is not only the most beautiful of all the Lovebirds and their mutations, but it's one of the most beautiful parrots in the world. The Wild type Blackmasked are very striking as well (and CUTE), but they lack the Red and Orange colors that the Fischers have.
Got it. Thank you!

SweetCheep

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Bachman
1:… “It's almost like they speak different languages?…”

2.“…And if you shoo them away from something, they NEVER listen! The second you're going back to what you were doing they're right back into it again!…”

Absolutely my observation among my few tame Lovebirds. I have taken to telling people they have ALL the audacity

3:“…The colors on the Wild type Fishers and Blackmasked are more vibrant than the Wild type Peachfaced. I have all different mutations of Lovebirds and as I stated earlier...to me, the Wild type Fischer is not only the most beautiful of all the Lovebirds and their mutations, but it's one of the most beautiful parrots in the world. The Wild type Blackmasked are very striking as well (and CUTE), but they lack the Red and Orange colors that the Fischers have.”
1. I am a breeder of other small Psitticines and have just begun acquiring the Lovebirds I want to add to my breeding program. I’m super excited! The most easy to understand advice I have been given by another trusted breeder friend who has a lot of Lovebird experience is that the different subspecies do not, in fact, speak each other’s languages and that’s why attempts at co-habitation among different species of Lovebirds often leads to tragedy.

2. Absolutely my observation among my few tame Lovebirds. I have taken to telling people they have ALL the audacity

3. I have 2 Parblue Fischer’s pairs, one Natural Fischer’s pair, a single female Violet Blackmasked and a male Natural Peachface paired with a female Opaline Peachface. First of all, I absolutely agree with you regarding the beauty of the Natural Fischer’s. I am wowed by them all the time! They’re my favorite of all the Lovebirds I have been lucky enough to see in person. Secondly, I have noticed that pictures never seem to do any of my Lovebirds justice. They’re so much more gorgeous and intensely colored in person! I have yet to be able to see a Natural Blackmasked in person, but can’t wait to get a pair of them, too!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
1. I am a breeder of other small Psitticines and have just begun acquiring the Lovebirds I want to add to my breeding program. I’m super excited! The most easy to understand advice I have been given by another trusted breeder friend who has a lot of Lovebird experience is that the different subspecies do not, in fact, speak each other’s languages and that’s why attempts at co-habitation among different species of Lovebirds often leads to tragedy.

2. Absolutely my observation among my few tame Lovebirds. I have taken to telling people they have ALL the audacity

3. I have 2 Parblue Fischer’s pairs, one Natural Fischer’s pair, a single female Violet Blackmasked and a male Natural Peachface paired with a female Opaline Peachface. First of all, I absolutely agree with you regarding the beauty of the Natural Fischer’s. I am wowed by them all the time! They’re my favorite of all the Lovebirds I have been lucky enough to see in person. Secondly, I have noticed that pictures never seem to do any of my Lovebirds justice. They’re so much more gorgeous and intensely colored in person! I have yet to be able to see a Natural Blackmasked in person, but can’t wait to get a pair of them, too!
Thank you for the insights. Have you noticed a difference in personality between the species?

What is the black masked like?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I was thinking about getting a pair of lovebirds but I decided not too although I would really like to have a parakeet type of bird to hang out with me around the house. I decided that lovebirds would be too noisy for my neighbors.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I was thinking about getting a pair of lovebirds but I decided not too although I would really like to have a parakeet type of bird to hang out with me around the house. I decided that lovebirds would be too noisy for my neighbors.
Yeah, that’s something I’m worried about, too. In the course of my research I’ve been feeling that I might prefer another species like a green cheek.

Sounds like lovebirds are chatty all day and can be loud.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim

I loved reading all your comments! I will add that a good peachfaced Pied can also be very eye catching! I have a DF Violet Green Pied that is just jaw droppingly beautiful. He really is Pied perfection, and I'm sad I never got to take him to a show. Are either of your Parblue Fischers Violet? Those are really beautiful too.

They are more similar in size and vocalization to the Fischers. Each Lovebird has it's own personality and I wouldn't say one is better than the other personality wise. Having many Lovebirds for 14 years now, I will tell you what my big pet peeve is... And that's people making negative comments against getting a Female Lovebird. I had a pair of Lovebirds (My first) that were Female/Female, and they were the most dear to my heart of all my birds. They were so special and I miss them all the time. I never mentioned losing them here before now, but have been considering making a post about them. None of my females I own are anything else but loving to me. I LOVE THEM!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Yeah, that’s something I’m worried about, too. In the course of my research I’ve been feeling that I might prefer another species like a green cheek.

Sounds like lovebirds are chatty all day and can be loud.
Mine aren’t so much chatty all day but when they start it can be loud ish it’s more the thrill noise right in your ear when they are happy on your shoulder
If you keep them busy looks of cages in cage shredding foraging it keeps them happy and quiet

SweetCheep

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Bachman
Thank you for the insights. Have you noticed a difference in personality between the species?

Unfortunately, I don’t have any hand reared, tamed eye ring species. I got all of them as parent raised young adults, so I can’t compare their personalities to my handfed/hand reared, tame Peachfaces. Nobody in my area seems to have anything but Peachfaces, so I absolutely can not wait until I get babies from my other species to select Ambassador forever pets from. I will then have a valid comparison in about 2 years lol. My one Peachface adult who isn’t tame, was parent raised like my eye ring species, acts exactly like the other parent raised adults, but he is louder than the others. That could just be a single individual personality trait. I’m not sure at this point.
My Black Masked baby girl was parent raised, but she is so cute and fun to watch. She LOVES other birds, and if I allow her to get close to them during out of cage supervised playtime, she usually succeeds in charming them into letting her preen them. This isn’t typical behavior for a Lovebird, and just may be happening because she’s still a baby. She has a Budgie BFF, a Cockatiel buddy, and a Peachface baby friend. She is still very scared of my hands, but she will take treats from them through the cage bars.

Attachments

SweetCheep

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Bachman
I am actually quite surprised at the noise levels the Lovebirds have brought to my home. I don’t think they’re necessarily loud as far as decibels, but they’re quite chattery throughout the day. I have noticed as they’ve calmed down & settled in more that it’s not quite as sharp when they chatter, but to someone like me (headache prone) I do notice it a lot, I just don’t consider it problematic. My Parrotlets are much quieter. I keep noticing similarities in the Lovebird and Parrotlet personalities.

SweetCheep

Moving in
Real Name
Wendy Bachman
I loved reading all your comments! I will add that a good peachfaced Pied can also be very eye catching! I have a DF Violet Green Pied that is just jaw droppingly beautiful. He really is Pied perfection, and I'm sad I never got to take him to a show. Are either of your Parblue Fischers Violet? Those are really beautiful too.
Thank you so much! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your female Peachfaces
Ooh, some of the Pied Peachfaces are amazingly gorgeous! Do you have any pictures of your boy?
I have a deposit down on a Pied Peachface baby. She’s a stunner even as her pin feathers are just beginning to open. I say she, I don’t know why, because her breeder won’t do a gender DNA test. So, I will have to when she’s ready to come home to me. I need to get a picture of her. I’m so in love with her looks!
as far as my Parblue Fischers go, I am running into frustration at being able to ID their other mutations. I just can’t seem to find a thorough site or forum to compare to or ask for confirmation. Would you be willing to help me out, my 2 males look just like any Parblue pic I have been able to find. One of my females is beautifully Pied, and the other has more dark colors which I suspect are due to the Violet mutation, but I’m not sure yet. Unfortunately, I had to ship them up from CA, and the place I got them from seems too busy to answer my questions regarding her mix of mutations. The only thing they’ve told me was they’re all Parblue, and have the chance of throwing Sables because they are “from top quality lines”. Here she is right out of the shipping box. The last 3 pics are my Pied Parblue Fischers female. She escaped the cage the other day, so I took the opportunity to get a few pics in the natural light coming in from the window. She came to me with her wings clipped like this. I can’t wait to see them fully grown out & beautiful!

Attachments

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Thank you so much! I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your female Peachfaces
Ooh, some of the Pied Peachfaces are amazingly gorgeous! Do you have any pictures of your boy?
I have a deposit down on a Pied Peachface baby. She’s a stunner even as her pin feathers are just beginning to open. I say she, I don’t know why, because her breeder won’t do a gender DNA test. So, I will have to when she’s ready to come home to me. I need to get a picture of her. I’m so in love with her looks!
as far as my Parblue Fischers go, I am running into frustration at being able to ID their other mutations. I just can’t seem to find a thorough site or forum to compare to or ask for confirmation. Would you be willing to help me out, my 2 males look just like any Parblue pic I have been able to find. One of my females is beautifully Pied, and the other has more dark colors which I suspect are due to the Violet mutation, but I’m not sure yet. Unfortunately, I had to ship them up from CA, and the place I got them from seems too busy to answer my questions regarding her mix of mutations. The only thing they’ve told me was they’re all Parblue, and have the chance of throwing Sables because they are “from top quality lines”. Here she is right out of the shipping box. The last 3 pics are my Pied Parblue Fischers female. She escaped the cage the other day, so I took the opportunity to get a few pics in the natural light coming in from the window. She came to me with her wings clipped like this. I can’t wait to see them fully grown out & beautiful!
Pretty birds!

"Sable" isn't a mutation. Fishers have a natural dark cap on the back of their heads and breeders tried their best to breed that out. So people started calling the cleaner head birds "sables". I haven't heard that term since Fischers got the Opaline mutation though. Since Opaline became available in Fischers, if a breeder wants a clean head, they just breed Opalines. :)

You are correct, Baby #2 looks different because it looks to have 2 Violet Factors. Baby #2 also looks Pied which is cool. :)

I don't have any pics of my stunning Pied, but i'll try to get one later if possible. I don't take pics anymore, so they'll probably freak when I hold up the phone. lol