• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird laying unfertilized eggs

Lena_b80

Moving in
Real Name
Lena
Hi, can you please help me??

I have a love bird and a green cheeked conure. I made a couple mistakes with my love bird because I encouraged her to lay eggs by bonding with her because in the first place when I got her the breeder told me that she was a boy and I had no knowledge about the birds. Then after reading a lot about birds laying unfertilized eggs that I should change up the cage and put it in a different location and nothing seemed to work. And I kept asking people and vets but I keep getting different information and the last fact that I got was to give her the nesting material and let her go through the whole process band it was from spring to this day. But before that others told me to take the eggs away from her then give her eggs back because she needs to have a certain amount.

Can you please tell me what I should do, she layed her first egg on October 25th and she had 7 eggs by approximately November 15th so when she finally stopped and she has been sitting on them since then and doesn’t do anything. She waiting for them to hatch but they won’t, she’s just waiting for a miracle to happen.

Can you please help me to solve this problem to keep her happy and healthy thank you so much!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She'll know when they are bad eggs. Lovebirds its about 23 days from the last egg laid, so she'll likely sit on them for almost a month before abandoning them. Let her figure it out to help break the cycle:)

Lena_b80

Moving in
Real Name
Lena
Hi, thank you so much for you advise! I will wait a couple more weeks. Until December 15th which I believe will be a whole 1 month since she’s later the eggs.
Thank you so much!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Just let her go through the motions with it. Once she gets sick of them, she'll stop sitting on them. Leave it a bit, then change up her cage and remove the eggs.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Her body will know when its time to leave them. It doesn't go by a calendar :)

Lena_b80

Moving in
Real Name
Lena
Thank you so much, I’ll keep it in mind. If she doesn’t leave them after one month. I’ll still let her sit on them

SmkGranmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tanya Robertson
Hi sorry I just got a lovebird and I found this site but wanted anyone else who comes across this to know that she will push the eggs out when she is done with them or leave her bed and bed somewhere else when done please do t take them before that and please don’t let her see you take them is traumatizing for them apparently, I have always followed this and she has now stopped laying so frequently good luck

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Hi sorry I just got a lovebird and I found this site but wanted anyone else who comes across this to know that she will push the eggs out when she is done with them or leave her bed and bed somewhere else when done please do t take them before that and please don’t let her see you take them is traumatizing for them apparently, I have always followed this and she has now stopped laying so frequently good luck
Welcome! Just so that you know, the "hut" that you have in your lovebird's cage stimulates breeding hormones and greatly increases the chance that your female lovebird will lay eggs.