• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird emits an odor out of nostrils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julio
Hey everybody, i havent posted alot and i havent posted in a long time, my apologies for that i should start doing it again.

I have a question and i am seeking your advice. I allready have made an apointment with the vet, and i can come by tomorrow morning. Now i should start by saying, that i have had lovebirds for almost 15 years and this is a first for me.

I have a female lovebird. She turned 1 in february. She is extremely hormonal, and will use anything possible as nestingmaterial. She is very active, gets to play alot and she gets all the attention she wants from us, and she is super tame. She is however abit protective of her cage, but out of her cage she is very kind. Now the problem , or i hope its not but better to be safe than sorry, is that she emits a strange, i would say stinky, odor out of her cere, or nostrils, every now and then. Its not always its there, it comes and goes and the feathers around her nostrils have become a bit greyish. She is a peachface lovebird btw not a masked. Now i was just wondering if any of you have seen this before. Unfortunatly i am at work and i cant show you guys the best picture but i do have 1. My wife she "decorated" the picture but i wanna be sure to say that the blackness/greyness at her nostrils is not edited. She is getting harrisons pellets with a mixture of avicakes, vegetables and fruit and every now and then a nutriberrie.

I do wanna make sure that you know that she is totaly active, flying around, destorying what she can, and humping every now and then while in between getting scritches.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how nice to see you posting again!!! she is very sweet...and a good thing you have an avian vet appointment....please mention this odor to the vet and ask him/her to run tests....there may be a yeast infection or some other type of infection going on...

Julio

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julio
Yes thats the thing i am afraid of, any type of fungus perhaps. Yeast infection. But not sure how she would have gotten it, if she got it that is. Never had a lovebird before with a yeast infection. :( Well il have to wait and see what the vet says tomorrow.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeast or fungal infection is what I first thought of. Unfortunately pretty common in birds. I hope that it is nothing to worry about! Good luck at the vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.