• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Lovebird difficulty breathing

Trry

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Terry
I'm birdsitting a female lovebird of almost 11 years old. She seems hormonal but hasn't laid any eggs for years.
She has difficulty breathing and her tail bobs up and down with each breath. Also with any (small) movement she's panting. The owners also told me they thought she was dying earlier because she wouldn't fly and just sat on the ground. She does fly now when she feels like it. Small distances. They also thought she sounded different sometimes.
Also this heavy breathing has happened for a while on and off they said.

Video of her breathing although her tail is not really visible

To me it looks alarming, but I'm no bird owner (not yet). She also puffs up a lot.
But other than that. She's extremely territorial and agressive (which she always was but seems even more now). She seems kind of restless since I removed her sleeping hut. I removed it because she tore a hole in the fabric inside and I saw some on her tongue. I was scared she was eating/inhaling it.
Is it possible she is going to lay an egg? Does difficulty breathing come from that?
I have an appointment at the vet for tomorrow. But don't want to add any stress by taking her if she is just going to lay an egg. I don't see an egg butt.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just guessing, but it could be respiratory. I'd suggest making sure she is kept warm. You can also steam up your bathroom & place her in there for a hour or so. The steam may help her breathing.