• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebird abnormal biting behaviour

Nabilb

Moving in
Hello all,

I know that there has been a lot of posts about lovebirds biting but my lovebirds biting behaviour is a little abnormal so some advice would be appreciated.

I got Casanova around a year ago (one year 3 months old now, male). He is really spoiled, has his own big room, has more toys than a toy store, is completely free in his room, I spend around 2-4 hours in his room with him and he is well fed and physically healthy (vet tested). He is a very happy bird, chirping and singing all day, playing, flying, etc.

I got him from a pet store and since I bought him, he has always been very scared of hands. I was able to tame him fairly well, but hands are still a no no for him. Other than that he spends a lot of time on me when I'm around him, on my head, shoulders, arms and even on my fingers (he does step up), he just won't accept me petting him with my hand or grabbing him.

He has always been a biter, but nothing out of the ordinary for a lovebird until recently. In the last few months he has become an extreme biter, what I mean is that he won't stop biting me, it almost feels like if it's a game for him. He doesn't get into an aggressive position when he bites, he doesn't have any of the aggressive body language that lovebirds have when they're threatened, angry, fearful, etc. (did research online for these behaviours.). But he does bite hard, it's not just a nibble, I often bled because of his bites. His biting behaviour is always the same, he will approach me slowly, look at me for a couple of seconds, opens his beak close to my skin and just looks at me kind of like to see if there's a reaction and then when I look at him, he bites me then flies away and screeches, then within seconds comes back to me and gives me kisses (little nibbles). And this can happen on any part of my body, head, arms, hands, legs, feet, stomach, etc.

I have tried so many advice I found online but nothing detracts him from doing it. I tried a cage timeout, distracting him, holding his beak, ignoring him, not making any reaction, giving a treat before the bite, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello,

Cage timeout wont work.
Holding beak is dangerous to him.
Treats before bites is also not going to help, it will actually do the opposite and reinforce it.

I am curious if you are sure this is a male?

Either way, when you spot him via the corner of your eye opening his beak, intervene and get him off you in a way that is not using your hands. For eg if he's on your shoulder, go up to a shelf or other surface, maybe his cagetop and lean towards it to get him off you.
When he then flies back to you and is doing his little cute routine, then you can give the treat.

Nabilb

Moving in
Hello,

Cage timeout wont work.
Holding beak is dangerous to him.
Treats before bites is also not going to help, it will actually do the opposite and reinforce it.

I am curious if you are sure this is a male?

Either way, when you spot him via the corner of your eye opening his beak, intervene and get him off you in a way that is not using your hands. For eg if he's on your shoulder, go up to a shelf or other surface, maybe his cagetop and lean towards it to get him off you.
When he then flies back to you and is doing his little cute routine, then you can give the treat.
He is a male, I did a DNA test. At first I thought he was a female because he is more aggressive than his female partner but he ended up being a male.

And thanks for the advice, I'll try that then. Hopefully it'll work, because other than the biting he's a perfect little lovebird. He's very attached to me. I even have a camera in his room and I can speak to him through and he learned that I can see him so when he wants to see me, he goes to the camera and starts chirping until I come and see him haha!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
The trick will be to try something different each time until something works. If you work out that he bites after X minutes of sitting on you, then remove him a few minutes before. Even though he's done nothing wrong. Set him down somewhere, give him a treat, and step back. Give him a break :)

Nabilb

Moving in
The trick will be to try something different each time until something works. If you work out that he bites after X minutes of sitting on you, then remove him a few minutes before. Even though he's done nothing wrong. Set him down somewhere, give him a treat, and step back. Give him a break :)
Thanks for the advice, this would work if he didn't bite every 3 seconds lol. Like I said I almost feel like it's a game for him. When I'm walking around the apartment, he will be on me and won't try to bite me, but when I'm sitting down or laying down, it's non stop biting. If I ignore him, he can get 20 bites in in one minute.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
When I'm walking around the apartment, he will be on me and won't try to bite me, but when I'm sitting down or laying down, it's non stop biting.
Then don't let him be on you when stationary. Maybe in the future you can try again to let him on you and hopefully there won't be the same issues, but if he is constantly biting, then it sounds like it is his habbit. Get a stand set up so that when you sit, you put him on the stand first - have it nearby so he's still included in hanging out with you.