• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Love your Linnies? Please share~

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheBirds

Walking the driveway
I have wanted & been researching Linnies for a long time. After several rescue leads that didn't pan out, I'm hoping to find on at an upcoming bird show (Which I am so excited for. We don't get many in chilly Oregon!)

I have my WC Pionus, whom I love for who he is, & my Waterslager canary for his vocal talents. I'm wanting a teeny bugger to play with his/her toys & of course just enjoying they're quiet, sweet voice. Budgies didn't pan out; they were deemed too squawky by the powers that be (read: Husband) & as a pair, they of course wanted none of me in their business. (They have happily gone to an aviary of a friend, to mingle with their own kind.I get visitation rights :)

Linnies *seem* like perfection. Would anyone mind sharing their Linnies personalities with me?

Thanks so much for any info.

<3 Elizabeth, Ami & Takai

Last edited:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I have wanted & been researching Linnies for a long time. After several rescue leads that didn't pan out, I'm hoping to find on at an upcoming bird show (Which I am so excited for. We don't get many in chilly Oregon!)

I have my WC Pionus, whom I love for who he is, & my Waterslager canary for his vocal talents. but I'm wanting a teeny bugger to play with his/her toys & of course just enjoying they're quiet, sweet voice. Budgies didn't pan out; they were deemed too squawky by the powers that be (read: Husband0 & as a pair, they of course wanted none of me in their business. (They have happily gone to an aviary of a friend, to mingle with their own kind.)

Linnies *seem* like perfection. Would anyone mind sharing their Linnies personalities with me?

Thanks so much for any info.

<3 Elizabeth, Ami & Takai
I have Argyle, a 1 year old male Linnie. He is great, I love him to pieces. He is very fearful of hands because of early learning and experiences but I have been working with him and he is now stepping up, but it took a lot of time and patience. He is adorable and active and very playful. But, I have to be honest, I had read Linnies were quiet. I know people who have linnies who are quiet but when Argyle is vocalizing, it's not quiet. it's quite loud and it's not the most pleasant voice. My GCC has figured out how to mimic him and now she makes the same sound:eek: I don't find his voice awful or anything, just not nearly as pleasant as my budgies or tiels:) All in all he is a wonderful little bird, I love him to bits!:heart:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I have a Linnie...Levi. Levi is a beautiful little guy, full of personality, and afraid of nothing. However, if your husband thought that Budgies were loud, I'd really think hard about a Linnie. Levi has a VERY loud, shrill contact call. Right now, it's not bothersome, because he uses the call only to call me, answer the other birds...or the microwave. HOWEVER, for six months Levi went through a very intense puberty, and he screamed for hours and hours daily. This is not necessarily the norm for Linnies, but it does happen. That shrill EEEEK, for hours daily, really had me doubting that either of us would survive it!!! He has come out of it, and I'm so glad we perservered, but it was hard. I have two Budgies as well, and find them to be quieter as a rule than Levi...

I'm not sure I'm allowed to provide link , but the Linnie forum has a lot of Linnie owners, with different experiences...

JustJayde

Checking out the neighborhood
I love my linnie - he is sweet and adorable. A riot to watch play... and smart as a whip.

Like Sharon said - however. They are NOT a quiet bird. My guy screams for about 4 hours a day - in the morning. I am working on training him not to but it is slow going and so far no real progress. He stops when he is good and ready and not a second before.

Once mine gets through those morning hours of non stop screaming it is like a switch gets flipped off on the scream and ON for adorableness and he is an angel the rest of the day.

Budgies (in MY opinion) are more pleasant to listen to - because they don't scream the way linnies do. They sing and chirp in a high voice but they don't sit and scream for hours on end (( at least non of the ones I have ever had lol )).

My guys chatter after his scream fest is quiet though, and fun to listen to.

There is no guarantee though that you will not end up with a linnie that is quiet. Like Sharon and I you might get a screamer.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
My linnie, Baby Joey is going through adolesence at the moment but normally he is a sweetie! Mine doesn't scream, but he makes quite a bit of other noises. We all love his little dinosaur growl. Joey can say quite a few words and he mimics too. He coughs just like me :D

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
The linnies seem very cute, they are very uncommon, at least in my area. So many birds, so little time.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I have two Linnies, Gus a mauve and Bernard a green. And both are SUPER quiet! They are seriously the cutest little buggers. Gus is the shyer of the two. Both don't like hands but they likes shoulders ok. They love to play with my hair. They love to eat fresh foods. They are curious and fearless! I absolutely adore them!

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
If the linnies are hand raised would one be able to handle them? I'm trying to find out more information about them.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
If the linnies are hand raised would one be able to handle them? I'm trying to find out more information about them.

OMG yes!! They are so friendly and so sweet!! Definitely my favorite small birds in the world!! I just chose two that are less than people friendly :)

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
I have two Linnies here that were surrendered. They are cute, sweet lil things. My kids, 15,7 and 4 can pick them up...right around the body <ok not my 4 year old, but I set them on him> and they dont bite, just uber sweet.

The call...I actually found it cute...Not loud at all...but...dont forget Im comparing this to a house full of cockatoos LOL. Although, these guys are very bonded, never been apart, and when they are separated, even if its only from one kid to the other on the couch...they do have a frantic call. But...I still dont find it to be that bad.

They are so much fun to watch play, and interact.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Yes! The fearless part is why Baby Joey is always into trouble.

Baby Joey came to me from a breeder, but he was an older baby that nobody wanted because he is handicapped. He bit a lot at first, but constant handling stopped that behavior. Now he is super sweet, just don't bother him while he is in his sleeping spot! LOL He's kind of like momma in that respect! :hehe:

Eliza

Jogging around the block
Elizabeth, I just LOVE those linnies. I hadn't heard of them until about 5-6 years ago, back when I was thinking of getting a parrot. I was researching parrotlets and came across a few breeders who were working with linnies, too. Strangely enough I ended up with a lovebird but even so, I'm still interested in those linnies!

Here are some videos that I found on YouTube that show the louder side of linnies:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqpO8jq2fOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maC19B2vPw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LVF96TKZIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt8Ba_z5CEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIwxzGrWbqY

FWIW, I’ve been recommended the following when I mention living in an apartment: Bourke’s, budgies, cockatiels, lovebirds, parrotlets, linnies, poicephalus and pionus. I’ve read about noise complaints (and even a need to rehome) for all BUT the Bourke’s parakeets.

Maybe a Bourke’s parakeet is a species to consider?

YouTube - Birdie Seranade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyilHA2UlQo

YouTube - Singing rosy bourke

I think that it’s like anything parrot-related: some are going to be louder and/or more vocal than others, regardless of the species. You have to take that into account along with what you can tolerate. Me? I LOVE the sounds that lovebirds make but some people find their natural call harsh. I like the sounds of budgies chirping and squawking but others find it grating.

HTH!

Status
Not open for further replies.