• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lost on how to proceed…help

Jgarner632

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jake garner
Hey all, this is my first post here on the forums. I’ve read posts on here before about nutrition and training and it helped a lot. Sadly I’ve recently been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis and the pain has been pretty bad in my back and hands. It’s made taking care of my birds difficult. The pain was fine for a while, was in physical therapy, but now it’s been getting worse and now I know why. I have a military macaw named ivy, as well as a sun conure Charlie. I wasn’t ever expecting something like this to happen to me, as I’m only 22yo. It’s fallen on me like a brick and I don’t know where to start. I feel like I should re-home my birds so that they have a better life and although I still am somewhat healthy I don’t want to be unable to care for them. It pains me that this has happened. I guess I’m looking for advice on how to even go about this process. Both birds are 5years old, and I really have no idea how to go about this. I feel terrible, I had planned to have them with me til I have to put them in a will.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you been told your arthritis will always be this bad?
For many people there are flare ups with bad days or months then there are good days and months, I don’t personally know of many who suffer with severe intolerable or crippling pain constantly due to RA (not saying it doesn’t happen, just that I don’t personally know of anyone even though I do know of a fair few with RA), if this is a new diagnosis it may just be worth battling through a bit longer and seeing if you can get some temporary help till you’re more familiar with what a whole year looks like for you. I’d really hate for you to rehome then have your pain decrease causing you to regret your decision.
I know some weeks are real tough for me (I have nerve damage and arthritis but not RA) and others are a bit easier.
When my mum was first diagnosed with RA she was actually hospitalised for quite some time frequently- she leads a pretty normal life with it now though but obviously some days are worse than others.

If you are certain this is the way you’re heading then I wish you all the best in finding what you feel is a perfect replacement home for your babies. :)
Mentioning your country and general area may be helpful.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am sorry you're going through this. I wouldn't make any quick decisions yet. But if you do ultimately decide to rehome, you can see if there are any bird rescues in your area that can help you.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry to hear this ..but I would wait and see how your pain goes ..I have firbo and 3 med sized birds ..some days its hard to look after them but mostly they just bring so much joy to my life that it doesnt matter if I have bad days the good out weighs the bad where my animals are concerned :)