• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Losing Weight

littletiel

Walking the driveway
Hello, I hope somebody will be able to answer this question as I am really worried!
I think my tiel is losing weight. I can feel his bones (in particular both humeri and the klavikula) when I cuddle him and I didn't in the past. He doesn't show any signs of illness whatsoever and has a formidable appetite. He is very lively, maybe he burns a lot of calories?

Should I go to the vet???

Thanks for your opinion!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
If you think he is losing weight I would think a vet visit is in order. Also you should invest in a scale that weighs in grams so that you can weigh him every week.

littletiel

Walking the driveway
Thanks, I will try to weigh him ASAP. I remember he was 80 grams the last time I was at the vet, which is not much but he is a small bird (totally proportioned). If he weighs under 80 grams I will run to the vet!
Any idea of illnesses which could cause loss of weight? It really surprises me he is losing weight as he seems to be in perfect health! Maybe I should give him more millet spray? He certainly loves it!

maimaie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I agree with Elaine. If you have any concerns a vet visit it in order. Weight loss is (from what I have heard) the first sign of illness.

I have a small food scale that I pop Luca onto every once in a while just because I am curious. The first time we took him to the vet she weighed him so I use that number as a reference to make sure he isn't loosing weight. You can also look up the average weight for a tiel and make sure that he is in the acceptable range, but it's best to weigh him at the same time of day for a few days to see if he is loosing, gaining, or maintaining.

littletiel

Walking the driveway
Thanks. By the way, he has just gone through the moult. Does it matter? I have never noticed weight loss after the moult before.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely bring hi m to an avian vet..if you feel your tiel is losing weight and can feel his keel bone..tiels are incredibly adept at hiding their illnesses..I would not wait until you get a proper scale etc..bring him now.

littletiel

Walking the driveway
OK, I will call the vet tomorrow morning for an appointment...

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Good idea! When birds lose or gain weight all of a sudden it is cause for concern.