• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeets are quiet??

Danybirb

Meeting neighbors
Before you comment I was doing some research on random birds and stubbled on lorikeets Google says the Australian lori is a bird quiet I don't think this is correct but if any pros are out there pls let me know

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I do not have a lorikeet of my own but I do have experience with them through the Iowa Parrot rescue. I've loved the ones that have came through, but I probably wouldn't call them quiet. They have a very high pitched shrill chirp, so while I don't recall them screaming really they did make lots of noise between the chirp and other little noises such as imitations of a meow or buzzing. Obviously they have nothing in terms of volume on a macaw or cockatoo but if you can't handle a shrill call then lorikeets are not quite the bird for you. And even if a species is generally quiet, that does not mean your bird will be quiet! Every bird is 100% an individual. I personally really enjoy how spunky lorikeets are and could definitely see myself with one someday if the opportunity presented itself as their call doesn't really bother me.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are a fair few lorikeets to choose from and I can not say I have personally come across a quiet one, I have seen more wild ones than captive ones but I can not see them being a great deal different noise wise.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Every lorikeet I’ve ever met could crack glass with their volume! I don’t know that I’d ever call one quiet :wideyed:

minkylory

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nel
Before you comment I was doing some research on random birds and stubbled on lorikeets Google says the Australian lori is a bird quiet I don't think this is correct but if any pros are out there pls let me know
oh gosh I'm so sorry for the late reply but good lord they are NOT quiet. you come home from even being away for less than 30 minutes and they're screaming their deafening scream. your ears actually hurt afterwards. they're probably not the loudest bird but they are absolutely not quiet. I can hear my birds down the street!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I love lories. We actually have one at the rescue I help with available for adoption. We never get lories. I can't believe someone hasn't adopted that little cutie yet. I would have loved to have fostered him but I am at house capacity at the moment.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I love lories. We actually have one at the rescue I help with available for adoption. We never get lories. I can't believe someone hasn't adopted that little cutie yet. I would have loved to have fostered him but I am at house capacity at the moment.
Whoa - I’ve never seen one anywhere not directly from a breeder

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Whoa - I’ve never seen one anywhere not directly from a breeder
We've had one at the Iowa Parrot rescue since I've been there, and I know there were some before I was a volunteer as well. I love them so much but they're definitely not common in rescues

Animallover03

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Aweee what kind of lorikeet?

Danybirb

Meeting neighbors
oh gosh I'm so sorry for the late reply but good lord they are NOT quiet. you come home from even being away for less than 30 minutes and they're screaming their deafening scream. your ears actually hurt afterwards. they're probably not the loudest bird but they are absolutely not quiet. I can hear my birds down the street!
OH GOSH