• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lorikeet egg damaged

rainbowpoo

Checking out the neighborhood
My female scaley lorikeet laid two eggs recently. One was fertile and one was not. They were laid around 26th of November I checked the egg two days ago and it looked good but when I checked today the egg is damaged and the baby is dead. I'm not sure what happened? Has anyone else had experience in this? What can I do to stop it happening again?

Attachments

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Are they new parents? If they havent raised a clutch before theyre more prone to mistakes. Not much you can do except make sure the nesting environment is safe and has enough room, are you breeding them on purpose or was it a suprise?

rainbowpoo

Are they new parents? If they havent raised a clutch before theyre more prone to mistakes. Not much you can do except make sure the nesting environment is safe and has enough room, are you breeding them on purpose or was it a suprise?
On purpose. Planning on keeping them. It was the first clutch. It looks to me like she was trying to get the baby out but this is my first time with parrots.

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Ive never owned lories but by my understanding, intentionally mutilating eggs is not a common thing. It was more likely an accident. Is their nesting box an appropriate size?

rainbowpoo

260mm deep
380mm wide
600mm height

I brought this one online it says it's specifically for lorikeets? Is it too small? I had in there wood shavings and they had dragged in newspaper and had shredded it up small. I adopted the female off someone who was unable to keep her ( kept her in a small cage and was feeding her biscuits and cake) and she bonded instantly with my red collared male. She was quite hard at first because she wouldn't eat fruit and veg and wasn't too keen on her wet mix but she has come so far.
I removed the eggs yesterday and she was so distraught at first but is now outside her box and bathing and eating and taking treats like normal.

Attachments