• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for some suggestions on a cage topper for my fids!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Hi all.

I recently lost Noodle, my sweet little baby.

Abby and Elvis are in mourning as well so I want to try and give them something special.

I have a large double decker cage that I took the bottom off as Noodle is no longer with us, the tiels are both so much lower than they are used to and just kind of sit on top looking bored. I am looking for some ideas on how to snaz up the top for them. I was looking for a nice play gym to attach up there but I can't find anything that really speaks to me yet.

Any suggestions?

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
Kathie @ MSBS has a really nice cage top grapevine perch that they might really like and with the SWS coming in a few days now would be a great time to look at them :)

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
Also do a search on Ebay, I've seen some really nice ones on there too

JudiNH

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Mine love a shallow wicker basket, or one with a big high handle to perch on, and they play in and on the basket. I put all sorts of foot toys and treats inside and they climb all over and in it, and chew the basket up. Good, cheap fun! :)

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
Love, love, LOVE all these awesome ideas!

I ended up hitting the hardware store and snagging a bunch of PVC and made up a play gym that covers the entire top, I think I am going to get one of those grape vine top perches to put in the middle. I ordered vet tape from Dr. Foster & Smith as well as a few new toys to perk the fids up so I can finish the PVC monstrosity.

I have left over PVC so I might make a shower perch too, Abby is afraid of the shower but Elvis likes misting so I bet he would love it.
Abby and Elvis 083.jpg

Last edited:

Toadstinytails

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Betsy
For those of you that use the cage-top gyms (especially the ones that actually attach to the cage), do you not cover your birds up at night? Or do you leave the gym on and throw a blanket over cage+gym? Just curious!

Thank you!

Artagiel

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Haley
I have never covered my birds, I also happen to go to bed at 6 or 7 like a little old grandma because of my job so they get lots of rest and dark time so it hasn't been needed. With the PVC gym though it is so light and moveable I could just lift it up to put a cover on if I needed.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
WOW! Great job on the playgym!!! Looks awesome!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This is what I have over Jingo’s cage currently. :)

My birds sleep in separate sleep cages so I can have a lot of fun with the day cages!

Attachments

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
It looks great, but that cord is scary. Holly would be chewing it up! As far as playtops or play areas attached to tops and needing to cover, I have done this- run one cover horizontally across the top of the cage under the playtop or swaddled around the attached play spot, run another cover around the front of the cage.{I use sheets}

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It looks great, but that cord is scary. Holly would be chewing it up! around the front of the cage.{I use sheets}
If you are talking about mine, it's covered in a clear plastic tubing, and they have been unable to chew threw it or make a dent in it in the year I've been using it. They left it alone when they realized there was nothing to be gained.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
You are lucky. We tried that. She chewed through the plastic tubing too. :huh:

If I showed you what I had to do to deter her you would laugh. :D This is for the light over Kismet the canary's cage. Darn it she just would not leave it alone.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I don't know Shawna... is Jingo old enough to play with scissors?:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.