• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for links to a fact sheet on basic pet bird/Parrot care

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ku-Ku's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone,
New to the Avenue...not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not? To make a long story short, I am doing some volunteer work for the Humane Center, here in Jordan. It is a no-kill animal shelter with a vet clinic. I am trying to put together a basic care fact sheet that can be handed out to bird/Parrot owners when they come in with a Parrot/bird for treatment from the vets at the center. There are no Avian vets in Jordan. Any advice, links or tips from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Kudos to you Jennifer! What a great idea! Why not copy some of the links her? Like Toxic items to birds, What to know before your bird gets sick? etc... Also, due to being in Jordan why not give info on correct nutritional needs of parrots, Toys that are a neccessity and cage size. Hopefully others will be along with more info.

Ku-Ku's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Thanks, Judy! This fact sheet is sooo needed here. The vets at the clinic have very little training with Avian medicine. The other day I took our garden cat in for a cut on her chin. While I was in the clinic, a man came in with a TAG, that had nasal discharge. The vet went to get him out of the cage with gloves used for birds of prey (up to the elbow.) I had to speak up & asked him to just use a towel. The vet gave a shot of antibiotics & within 4 minutes, was sending them on their way. I had to say something for this bird's sake...especially since his appearance showed his poor diet. I spoke up & said that he will not heal from just injections without a proper diet & a clean water bowl. The owner said that he only feeds him sunflower seeds...he had no idea that Parrots need vegetables & fruits...not to mention the zip nutritional value of sunflower seeds. I also was frustrated that the vet just gave a shot of antibiotics with no other examination or investigation. Alas, that is the basic status of veterinary care for birds/Parrots here...grumble, grumble. See why I need to do this!

cdsal_99

Meeting neighbors
Hello,

Our website DOVEBOOK has a Documents page with bird and pet care materials that you can access at:

Documents - DOVEBOOK

I do stress two things about these documents which are pulled from various sources: one, they cover very basic care for these animals; and two, they are all public domain materials that have been intended to be distributed free of charge on the world wide web (they can be found through most internet search engines too). I hope they are able to help give you ideas for the creation of your fact sheet.

Another resource that might be of help, especially in the long-term if your Humane Center facility runs on limited funding, is to have access to The Association of Avian Veterinarians (AAV). Their website has an active members list which includes facilities from all over the world, and it will be nice to have these contacts for future consideration.

The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Home

If you are not able to find an avian vet source in Jordan through AAV right away, I recommend you keep checking back. AAV has an active membership so new members do join and one from Jordan might in the future.

Best of luck for your facility, and I hope the fact sheet you produce ends up helping the staff and clients, both animal and human, there.

Sincerely,

Sal Niner

Hi everyone,
New to the Avenue...not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not? To make a long story short, I am doing some volunteer work for the Humane Center, here in Jordan. It is a no-kill animal shelter with a vet clinic. I am trying to put together a basic care fact sheet that can be handed out to bird/Parrot owners when they come in with a Parrot/bird for treatment from the vets at the center. There are no Avian vets in Jordan. Any advice, links or tips from you all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)

Last edited:

Ku-Ku's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the links & advice! Greatly appreciated! Please keep then coming...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Thank you for doing so much to benefit birds. Would love to see fotos of your grey.

Also, welcome to Avian Avenue, & please keep in touch !!!

Last edited:

Ku-Ku's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for doing so much to benefit birds. Would love to see fotos of your grey.

Also, welcome to Avian Avenue, & please keep in touch !!!
Thank you for the warm welcome. So far I have only added Ku-Ku as my Avatar & profile pic...

Ku-Ku's Mom

Meeting neighbors
Well, I finished the pamphlet for the Humane Center here & the director is going to make a translated Arabic version for the people who don't speak English. The director was very thankful for the help and told me many horror stories of Parrots here. Sometimes it can be a blessing to not know so much...it was very depressing to say the least. She was surprised at how many medical terms that I knew about Parrots. I explained to her that all of my education in Aviculture comes from the Parrot forums that I belong to. I told her about the IAABC and that many members on the forums run Parrot rescue shelters in the states. I also gave her the contact info for an Avian consult vet in the states. So, lets hope that this can be a small start for a better way of life for all of the Parrots here. Awhile ago, I started a group on Facebook for education in proper pet bird/parrot care and it is growing slowly but surely. One really good thing is that I found two vets here that have some experience in treating Parrots, yaay! One of them performed a surgery the other day on a Grey & said that he will post pictures of the procedure on my group. The fact that the Grey woke up from the anesthesia alone, made me happy. Thanks, to all who posted links for me

Status
Not open for further replies.