• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for design ideas

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
My house is a small bungalow with no functional basement. It is open concept living room/large kitchen and one bedroom and one office. The birds are in the living room as it is the most used room, and they are out about four hours a day.

So...problem is, the front door leads right into the living room with just a four foot high and 3 foot long decorative railing marking the entrance inside. I mostly open the door to let my elderly dog in and out and the birds have never tried to fly out the door but I need a barrier of some kind to be safe and reduce stress.

It needs to be inexpensive and somewhat esthetically pleasing. Any ideas?

Enclosing the entrance on the inside would ruin the house. Adding a wall would cost a fortune. I have thought of maybe a fabric hanging or hanging decrative stained glass window framed pane from the ceiling above the barrier??? I am thinking it does not have to be solid.

I also need a new front door and could maybe get that netting put in that closes magnetically but dont know if that is enough. I could keep it closed on top when the dog goes through. Putting the birds in the back room office (or any type of clipping) is the last option so I am looking for other ideas.

Help???

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
It may be because I am tired, but I am having a bit of a hard time conceptualizing the space. By any chance do you have photos?

I have a few potential ideas in mind. I will post them next time I am on the computer (I am on my phone at the moment).

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
What about curtain that as a small entryway? I live in Minnesota, and a lot of restaurants have these in the winter. Good luck.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Okay, here goes.
I was doing a fair amount of research on this, since I'll be moving into a new apartment (in 15 days, yay!), and I wanted to make sure that, for whichever apartment I got, I'd be able to ensure the the birds couldn't casually fly into the kitchen while one of us was cooking. :eek: BUT I am also thinking of having something like this for the entryway as well.

This one would be super simple and budget friendly (you may not even have to drill holes in anything), not to mention that it is very pretty!

This one may or may not work depending on your space. Either way, it would require more effort, but it would be a multifunctional option. In the video, she uses one tall and one short bookcase to create a "wall" but for you case I would recommend two tall bookcases or one REALLY big bookcase or something like that. There will likely still be some gap in the ceiling, so you could then install a bit of curtain over the top of the bookcases. You also use the curtain to create a "door" so your birds don't fly into the entryway.
This one is the same idea as the one above, but a different design:

I plan on adding more ideas. When I do, I'll just edit this post.

EDIT:
Okay, after reading through your post again,
I actually think that this option below would be your best bet.
You could chose a panel that is somewhat opaque and perhaps has a pretty design on it, which would create that "stain glass window" feel but would probably be more budget friendly.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I also have open concept, front door leading straight into the LR etc. I have relied on the screen doors to help, but we're getting ready to replace the double front doors and there won't be a screen! Yikes! My fids are flighted and even though I say "come on in, come on in," while gesturing frantically...people stand there and hold the door open. Even those who come over regularly and know the drill. :meh:

Maybe a curtain hung from the ceiling a few feet back from the door would work for you. It won't do for me, I have 18 foot ceilings.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I also have open concept, front door leading straight into the LR etc. I have relied on the screen doors to help, but we're getting ready to replace the double front doors and there won't be a screen! Yikes! My fids are flighted and even though I say "come on in, come on in," while gesturing frantically...people stand there and hold the door open. Even those who come over regularly and know the drill. :meh:
That would drive me crazy!!!!! o_O

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yes!! Some are coming in exactly 4 minutes, every week I ask them NOT to hold the screen door open. Every week they do. Today I asked hubby to lock the screen. I may stick a note on the door, although if people wont' do what you ask them week after week they probably have no reading c\omprehension skillls.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What about one of those bug nets with the magnets?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
What about one of those bug nets with the magnets?
If they're strong enough. Actually if they aren't I could just add stronger magnets.
@Lwalker so could you. They sell really strong magnets...Amazon, Home Depot.