• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"Looking" for Cockatiels

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
So I'm not quite sure if I can get a new bird anytime soon since I don't have a lot of money and don't want to bother my parents a ton for a whole new bird cage and the bird itself, but I've been really interested in cockatiels and always wanted one even before I got a couple of budgies a few months ago, but was never able to get one because it appears to be either impossible to find them in my area or I'm not looking in the right places. I've searched for breeders and rescues, and later in the local pet stores (1 out of the 2 of them sells cockatiels, but they're over-priced) but couldn't really find anything that was some-what close to where I live.
I would want a young-ish cockatiel if I were to buy/adopt one, not expensive (I'd say over $150 would be expensive for me, since I can't really afford anything over $150 atm unless my parents are feeling generous), and one that can be found near the north-eastern part of SC since I wouldn't want to burden my parents with a long drive just for a pet bird that they wouldn't necessarily care for. Again, I'm not sure I could even get another bird that isn't a budgie atm but it never hurts to look

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'd focus on providing the best life to your budgies.
"A few months ago", means you've got much to learn from them, and them from you.
90% of that learning directly translates to other species.

There's plenty of time for adding another bird in the future when you've got the means.

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
Forgot to add that both of those budgies are gone now, and I'm left with a single lonely male that was separated from his new friend too soon.

And again, I'm not actually planning on getting another bird soon and instead really just want to know where to look when I'm ready

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
Care to fill in the details about those intervening weeks/months?
Well
I got two males near the end of December and they were doing fine, now close to 3 weeks ago, one of them which I named Tux had what I assume was a respiratory infection and died a day later after I found out. I then went to get another budgie so the other one (Lux) wouldn't be lonely. It was early in the morning when I had to make the decision and I was still in shock so I thought it was the right choice. Barely 2 weeks later Lux died after being attacked by my cat, and now for a week the new budgie whom I named Cloudy was alone and usually just occasionally moves from perch to perch or sits on his food bowl and eats every now and then, or he'll also climb on top of the cage where he stares out the window when given the chance to. He doesn't fly around as his wings are clipped unfortunately.

In the time that I had Lux and Tux they had both began to be comfortable around me and mostly always stepped up onto or flew to my finger on command. Cloudy willingly stepped up for the first time today

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm sorry if your Cat attacked your birds I would not be looking into another bird until you have space that is predator free. JMHO

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
I don't know why she was in my room as she is an outdoor cat but my sister does like to bring the cats inside sometimes, but since Tuxies death my mom banned the cats from the house so I sure hope that won't be happening, especially since I'm more careful now and hate cats with a burning passion
I'm sorry if your Cat attacked your birds I would not be looking into another bird until you have space that is predator free. JMHO

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I am being very honest when I say that I don't think you should get another bird. Your home doesn't seem very suitable especially with the risk of having a cat that already got one of your birds, and it seems you don't have the funds for a big enough cage, toys and perches. Everything not including the bird could cost you 200$ at the least. And that is also not including other future toy costs(and vet bills), cockatiels can chew through toys like nothing.

Last edited:

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I'm sorry for your loss.

Some observations...
  • I think you were on the right track by adding a budgie to your lone budgie, and you're in that situation again, so budgie would still be my recommendation.
  • You've got an environment with an sudden unexplained death of Tux ("assume was a respiratory infection", means no necropsy was performed).
    (no need to comment here, but be honest with yourself about whether you could have afforded a vet visit if you had observed the problem in time)
  • You introduced Cloud into this environment without a vet check of Lux, or Cloud, and without observing a quarantine period.
  • You're living in a household with parents who don't care for your birds, and at least one sibling who is careless with the security of your birds.
    (sounds like you're on your own for their care)
  • You haven't mentioned whether you have a separate cage.
    (necessary for quarantine, and gradual introduction of a new bird to your existing bird, and potentially longer if they don't get along)
To move forward responsibly, after dealing with physical security (@rocky'smom advice above), if you decide to pursue the addition of another bird, in addition to the expense of Newbird, you've also got two vet checks (Cloud to ensure they haven't picked up anything from Lux or the environment, and Newbird because they're an unknown), and potentially a second cage.

Have you considered working or volunteering at a rescue, pet store, or other aviary where you can satisfy your desire to care for birds, without assuming full responsibility on your own at this stage?

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
When I said I assume Tux had a respiratory infection, I meant that he had the symptoms but I wasn't sure. I did want to take him to the vet but I noticed his symptoms too late.
I will be getting a separate quarantine cage and a new cage if I ever do get another bird that can't be put together with a budgie when possible.
I'm too young to have a job and my only source of money is from my dad, not often tho, and art commissions which I can't do at the time.
I genuinely do think my parents care about the birds, it was my dad that gave me the money for everything i first needed as well as for the birds, he was also the one that suggested get another bird after Tux died and bought it as well, my mom well she didn't do much tbh but she cares, tho vet visits are expensive to her even when we never went to check... but also there aren't actually any avian vets close to us
I won't lie, I don't think any of my siblings ever actually cared about my pets, I was the only one that was obsessed with animals and still am.

Ive actually wanted to volunteer but I think I'm too young, also I don't even know if there are any rescues with birds near me as that's where the struggle of even looking for a new bird came in, it's only cats and dogs.
I hope to start commissions again soon so I can continue to save money and buy a cage asap, both quarantine and a big one for when I'm ready for another bird

I guess I'm nowhere near ready for another bird, though the point of this thread was for the future I guess that future isn't as near as I hoped.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I agree that it's a good decision to wait.

Cloud still needs lots of love and care from you, and it sounds like you have things to figure out (whether to grow in their wings, how to keep them safe if you do, the avian vet situation near you is important, etc).

Some fairly young people work weekends at local bird stores near me -- cleaning cages, feeding and watering, etc, so it doesn't hurt to ask because that's a great way to build experience.

If it makes you feel any better, I really like cockatiels, and have the means to provide for them, but it doesn't align with my current flock, so I just enjoy them on Instagram...

1651291976317.png
(this was my explore/search page a while back)​

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I'm more careful now and hate cats with a burning passion
Don't hate cats. This situation was not of their doing. Unfortunately, in this case, neither the cat nor the bird had an adequate environment. The cat should not have been put in a position to kill another animal. The bird should not have been left vulnerable to a cat attack. Humans failed both creatures, both with irrevocable consequences. The bird is dead. The cat will never be viewed by its family the same way again.

I think the idea of admiring cockatiels online is the best one. Loving something doens't necessarily imply owning it. In fact, frequently it implies quite the opposite.

Carp5699

Meeting neighbors
I actually never really liked cats, so there's not much of a big difference
She was never supposed to be inside anyway

The problem with me looking at things on the internet is, I want them even more after that. I watch too many videos of a certain bird , I then also want to experience having it, it just doesn't help. Looking at cockatiels isn't the same thing as owning them for me, or with any bird. The more and more videos and photos I see, the more and more I want to actually interact with them. But I can't really escape it now that the majority of social media I use is filled with birds

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sometimes we have to give up what we want, it's very hard but it's sometimes it is for the better. Don't give up on having a cockatiel in the future, right now is just not the right time for you. Awhile ago I really wanted a conure, but I decided to wait for the right moment and now I don't have any problems for the future. I am glad and you will be to.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
But I can't really escape it now that the majority of social media I use is filled with birds
The problem with social media is most of those cute clips are just that - clips.

You see those 30 seconds of the bird acting stinkin´adorable, or talking, or flapping their beautiful wings.
You don´t see the mess they make, the amount of poop they create, time spend scraping poop and chewed food off of cages, the noise they make throughout the day, the bickering with other birds in the house, biting the humans, the destruction to property, furniture and appliances, the costs involved in maintaining such birds namely vet visits and toys, the screaming at the crack of dawn, the night frights resulting in needing to be monitored, the sick birds who need taken care of, the love they give to other members of the household when they want nothing to do with you.
Yeah, social media is all fine and dandy, I LOVE flicking through the videos, but we can´t be naive to think that their birds are all peaches and roses.

Bringing home a bird means taking responsibility for them. You will need to commit to giving that bird a good life.
Even when they are sick and the vet bills are racking up,
even when they turn out to be a toy annihilator and you have to place toy orders super frequently,
even when they are attacking your budgie,
or screaming at your budgie all day long,
even when they bite you,
even when they show more affection to someone else in your house,
even when they wreck your belongings, or sentimental items,
when they are screaming and you need to study or work, or talk on the phone,

These are all things to consider. They could happen. And if they do....?
Sometimes people do need to rehome their animal companions, it´s not a perfect world. But we need to be asking ourselves these questions, imagine the different outcomes, imagine the things that could occur and accept that we will do the best we can to do right by them.

I know you already have a bird, you are not new to the game. But adding another bird of a different species is an unpredictable scenario. So you must really think long and hard, and not make rushed decisions fueled by cute social media videoclips.

Just some food for thought :)

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
SO much amazing advice! I highly suggest taking some time to spoil Cloud, he deserves it! Enjoy, love, and care for the bird you have now.
And if you feel getting a tiel is still what you want, continue your research, learn what you can, volunteer somewhere to find out if they are really what you want. When it comes to bringing home another animal there's no rush! I am coming up on one year research and prep for another bird! As much as I want that bird to finally come home, I am enjoying lots of time to focus on some of my budgies' needs, and everyday means I'll be that much more prepared.

Also I agree with @Sparkles99 please don't blame the cat, it was just being a cat.

~Drini~

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ana
A vet check-up costs me $350 per bird per year (don't even get me started on what I paid when my old GCC fell ill and was diagnosed with liver cancer). $150 is only a small fraction of what needs to be paid yearly to care for a bird. Until you have the finances (either from yourself or your parents) to support all the costs related to caring for a bird, definitely hold off for now.

It is very painful to love an animal and not be able to give them what they need to live happily.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I like the advice about social media being fake. It is, in actuality, almost always a lie. Even the number of 'friends' or 'followers' you have on it is a lie. How often do most people see those 'friends' & 'followers'? Have they even met them in real life?

So, it should hardly be surprising that it only shows the good side (like lies tend to). If there were hours long videos of people cleaning cages, there'd be no followers. We also don't see how many takes it took to get the cute photo or footage. It's like advertising: take it with a grain of salt (really, a shaker).