• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

~Looking for advice on FS lighting~

Status
Not open for further replies.

evsrin

Rollerblading along the road
I am really curious about the whole lighting thing. I've read that it's important and all that, but nothing beats picking your brains' for personal experience! ;)

I'd like to know what kind of lighting set-ups you have and why you went with it/if you like it.

What are the main reasons you have chosen to have the lights/ or on the flip side if you chose not to have lights for your birds I'd like to hear about that as well.

I guess I really just don't know the importance of it, I have a GCC and 3 Parakeets right now and all are in excellent feather. I do my best to make sure they are exposed to natural light during the day (through partially shaded windows), and I bring Tiki to sit with me while I'm on the computer and he gets to hang out on the window sill. No, it's not direct burning hot sunlight... :lol:But I feel like he loves it and I know it has to be good for him at least a little bit! Now that Fall is here, I can't really do that as it's getting quite chilly.

Can you guys post a pic of your lighting set-up over you cage/cages? :o:

And if we were to get a light, we do not have tons of money to spend on one, and yes that is a concern! So, if it's something we decide that we need, I would be looking for something affordable and preferably less then $100.

Okay... teach me! I'm all ears...:lol:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Okay, I've done quite a bit of research on this, and although a lot of the "avian" bulbs these days are compact fluorescents (like Featherbrite, ZooMed, etc.), in all my research compacts do not actually mimic the full spectrum properly or create any usable amounts of UVB to be considered beneficial. So, full tubes are the way to go. Somebody told me this once after I spent a lot of money on Featherbrites so I did my own research and found a few links also in agreement, called up a bunch of actual lighting companies who produced BOTH full tubes and compacts and they all agreed as well (obviously the ones that only produced compacts wouldn't).

So, start with full tubes. From there the CRI needs to be at least 92 but the higher the better (93-99 is ideal). Kelvin should be between 5000-5500.

As for placement and hours, I have never ever ever been able to find agreement on this topic. Most agree it can't be too far away but some say too close is dangerous. If I had to average all that I've found though it'd probably be anywhere from 1-3 feet away from the cage. As for hours, some say just a few in the middle of the day when the sun would be strongest, others say all day long.

Before I moved, I used Phillips full tubes mounted what was probably too far away from the cage because they were only a foot or two below the ceiling, and I left them on for not the entire day but a good chunk of it. Since I've moved I haven't been able to bother myself to reinstall FS lighting.

From what I understand anyway it doesn't even do much to help in the absorption of calcium-- instead, just 30 minutes a few times a week outside does way more than any artificial light would. What it actually helps with, however, is a parrot's vision. This is really the most legitimate reason to use FS lighting, apparently.

Anyway I'm pressed for time right now or else I'd be more specific and post some links, but I just wanted to help as much as I could for now :) Will return to this later.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Erin ..

Like Lotus, I've made myself nuts over FS lighting .. and probably spent a small fortune on various types of "Avian Bulbs".

As Lotus said, if you're in a climate that's conducive to it, just some outside time, a few times a week is great. Unfortunately, I'm in Chicago, and outside temps. are just not bird friendly in winter.

Anyway .. after spending a lot of money on all kinds of silly apparatuses, I finally went simple.

I purchased several standard "shop lights" from my local HD .. 4 foot lengths. The ones I got have to be plugged in, as I don't have junction boxes in the ceiling. The ones I got can be flush mounted to the ceiling, or hung from chain.

Then, on the wonderful advice from another member .. JLCribber .. I ordered the highest CRI tubes I could find ....
PHILIPS BRAND #209056 98 CRI 5000K

The shop lights were very inexpensive, I think around $15 each, maybe even $10 <can't remember now>, and the tubes were about $7 each. I have mine plugged into a timer which controls when they come on and off.

Anyway, for a lot less than all those "Avian" light set ups, I think I did as best as I could for the birds. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING will replace real sunshine, but if that can't be provided easily .. this was as close as I could come.

I don't have pictures right now, sorry. I took the lights down temporarily to do some ceiling repairs/painting, and have to put them back up. I wasn't in a rush to do it, as during summer my birds are outside several times a week, but now that winter is approaching, I need to get off my lazy duff and get it done.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I'm another one who has gone for the shop light fixture with the 4 ft tube...I do it because birds see different than we do and if you are only using a regular light bulb in a lamp in their room, it's like being in the shadows for them...they are not as active/scream more that usual/and don't eat properly....JMHO...
I buy the shop fixture that has the "ballast" in them...this keeps the lights from flickering....I have used shop lights/Sun Shine bulbs for years (18) but the type John suggested is great! I had 4 lights per room and my ceilings were 9 ft tall...You will find you will feel better also using these bulb!
Mine go on around 7 AM and off when it starts getting dark...I try to do as the days are...shorter in the winter and longer in the summer...:hug8:

evsrin

Okay, thank you all. I like that everyone is pretty much in agreement and I'm quite drawn to this way since it's very cost effective. However, I was speaking to my Husband about it and he's not thrilled about hanging lights from our freshly painted ceilings!:lol:

I don't know what to do! I have minimal options in this house, because we plan on selling in the next 3 years or so. We have a ranch, a Living Room and Family Room, along with 3 bedrooms and a galley kitchen w/eat in area. We are in the middle of fixing this place up, and the last thing we want to do is to go hanging a bunch of stuff from the ceilings.

When our living room is completed, I was debating on having the cages in there or in a bedroom. If we had the cages in there, there's NO way we'd hang a shop light in our living room. I might be able to convince him to hang a small round fixture in a corner above a cage.

My other option is to use one of the bedrooms for the cages and just have play stands in the living room. In that case, he might be okay with the shop light, but maybe not. We have put so much time, effort, and money into this place, and if we were staying then I'd have no issues going for it... but we don't want to make more work for ourselves when it comes time to sell. So, maybe the shop light thing would have to wait a few years. :confused:

Are there any good options for stand up lamps or small hanging ones?

What I'm thinking could be a big plus for me is that the bedroom currently used as the computer room gets a LOT of natural light. It's east facing with 2 windows and right now it's 9 am here and it's very bright in this room. If I turned the light on I wouldn't even notice it!

So, if I put the birds in here for the winter (or permanently) do you think it would be sufficient/beneficial to them? This room also stays very warm year round.

Whatever I do, they have to be moved this fall because we want to use our fireplace and they are in the family room where it is. :)

trout

Real Name
Bobby
I stayed away from CFLs right from the beginning. Most articles that I've read, both those addressing avian needs and Seasonal Affective Disorder point out that they're almost useless when it comes to mimicking sunlight. A lot also go on to point out that even the best lights do very little even at near distances to create UV rays to promote vitamin D synthesis. So nothing will replace natural sunlight.

But there is research to support the benefits to birds through improved vision as BF said. If you want smaller, I have 24" tube lights. When picking out the fixture one of the big things you want to look for is a full electronic ballast. Electro-magnetical ballasts flicking 60 times per second and can create a buzz that may annoy your birds, electronic ballasts don't have these issues.

If you want even small fixtures Avi-tec sells 18" and 24" tube fixtures with electronic ballasts, I used to have two before I decided I wanted more light.

http://www.avitec.com/Full-Spectrum-Lighting-for-Birds-s/2.htm

Last edited:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I might be able to convince him to hang a small round fixture in a corner above a cage.

Are there any good options for stand up lamps or small hanging ones?
Honestly, neither of these will really do anything or help. I would say, save your money.

What I'm thinking could be a big plus for me is that the bedroom currently used as the computer room gets a LOT of natural light. It's east facing with 2 windows and right now it's 9 am here and it's very bright in this room. If I turned the light on I wouldn't even notice it!

So, if I put the birds in here for the winter (or permanently) do you think it would be sufficient/beneficial to them? This room also stays very warm year round.
Unfortunately almost all of the useful UV rays get filtered out by the windows because they are tempered so as not to let UV through (or else all of your beautiful sheets, curtains, carpets, paintings, etc. would be horribly faded!). So, you won't get the UV benefits, but I still think natural sunlight is better than artificial lighting or nothing at all. I think personally that this would be your best bet. It wouldn't be "beneficial" necessarily in terms of Vitamin D or anything, but it would be more sufficient and probably best for their eyes.

evsrin

I stayed away from CFLs right from the beginning. Most articles that I've read, both those addressing avian needs and Seasonal Affective Disorder point out that they're almost useless when it comes to mimicking sunlight. A lot also go on to point out that even the best lights do very little even at near distances to create UV rays to promote vitamin D synthesis. So nothing will replace natural sunlight.

But there is research to support the benefits to birds through improved vision as BF said. If you want smaller, I have 24" tube lights. When picking out the fixture one of the big things you want to look for is a full electronic ballast. Electro-magnetical ballasts flicking 60 times per second and can create a buzz that may annoy your birds, electronic ballasts don't have these issues.
Thank you! The picture helps, I didn't realize there were 24in ones. So, all that being said... if the room gets ALOT of natural light, do I even need to add a light in here? Could you use one of the shop tube fixtures as the main light fixture in a bedroom? DH may be open to that:huh: Since the room I speak of is next on the list for painting and we were going to have to get a new light fixture anyways.

evsrin

Honestly, neither of these will really do anything or help. I would say, save your money.

Unfortunately almost all of the useful UV rays get filtered out by the windows because they are tempered so as not to let UV through (or else all of your beautiful sheets, curtains, carpets, paintings, etc. would be horribly faded!). So, you won't get the UV benefits, but I still think natural sunlight is better than artificial lighting or nothing at all. I think personally that this would be your best bet. It wouldn't be "beneficial" necessarily in terms of Vitamin D or anything, but it would be more sufficient and probably best for their eyes.
Okay, so if we put them in this room do I need to even do a light in here?

What about the small hanging ones that I see many people on here have above their cages? I've also seen a "shop" looking fixture sttached to the back of a cage. From what you said earlier, seems like that would be TOO close and even a fire hazard. :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Okay, thank you all. I like that everyone is pretty much in agreement and I'm quite drawn to this way since it's very cost effective. However, I was speaking to my Husband about it and he's not thrilled about hanging lights from our freshly painted ceilings!:lol:

I don't know what to do! I have minimal options in this house, because we plan on selling in the next 3 years or so. We have a ranch, a Living Room and Family Room, along with 3 bedrooms and a galley kitchen w/eat in area. We are in the middle of fixing this place up, and the last thing we want to do is to go hanging a bunch of stuff from the ceilings.
I don't understand this train of thought. You guys are scared to make a few screw holes in a ceiling (even though you may live there for a few more years). A fixture can be mounted right on the surface of the ceiling. The power cord can be made of armor coated lumex that no bird will be able to chew through and can also be mounted right on the surface. When your ready to move it can be taken down and used again.

The lighting will greatly enhance your birds life. A birds environment is not always perfectly pretty, it's functional and what's needed. JMO

evsrin

It wouldn't be "beneficial" necessarily in terms of Vitamin D or anything, but it would be more sufficient and probably best for their eyes.
Are there any other ways to provide Vitamin D then through lighting?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Good nutritional food. If there is a known deficiency your vet can recommend a good supplement.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have birds in three areas of my house. In the large addition, I do not use any lighting , only natural sunlight. In the bird room and upstairs rooms, they do not get a lot of natural sunlight...and can be kind of dark during certain times of the day. I use a combination of stand up lighting and above cage lighting with fs bulbs....even if they do not get the full benefits as mentioned before, they do seem happier and healthier with a lighted room....less gloomy especially on rainy dreary days.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Okay, so if we put them in this room do I need to even do a light in here?

What about the small hanging ones that I see many people on here have above their cages? I've also seen a "shop" looking fixture sttached to the back of a cage. From what you said earlier, seems like that would be TOO close and even a fire hazard. :confused:
I mean, having a FS light (the full tubes though) couldn't hurt. That would be the best chance of them getting any UV I'd say.

Those small hanging ones are what I was referring to as compact fluorescents. Unfortunately, they are quite useless it seems, at least that is what I have found in my research. They are still popular, however, because their manufacturers make a lot of claims that aren't necessarily able to be backed.

Sunlight is the best source of Vitamin D. Otherwise, it is ONLY found in animal products because it's produced in a body by cholesterol that has been exposed to UVB rays after being processed by the liver and kidneys. Egg yolk is probably the best source for parrot-keeping purposes. It is also often found in fortified pellets.

evsrin

I don't understand this train of thought. You guys are scared to make a few screw holes in a ceiling (even though you may live there for a few more years). A fixture can be mounted right on the surface of the ceiling. The power cord can be made of armor coated lumex that no bird will be able to chew through and can also be mounted right on the surface. When your ready to move it can be taken down and used again.

The lighting will greatly enhance your birds life. A birds environment is not always perfectly pretty, it's functional and what's needed. JMO

From what everyone is saying, there wouldn't be that much of an improvement for the birds anyways. I take it that you disagree with that? The room I can make theirs gets a great deal of natural light and through the winter is the the only time we can't open the windows or set them outside for a bit, so knowing that we are moving in the near future should I even worry about the light at this time?

I'm NOT opposed to it when we are more situated in the future, and I would definately go this route when we can.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
From what everyone is saying, there wouldn't be that much of an improvement for the birds anyways. I take it that you disagree with that? The room I can make theirs gets a great deal of natural light and through the winter is the the only time we can't open the windows or set them outside for a bit, so knowing that we are moving in the near future should I even worry about the light at this time?

I'm NOT opposed to it when we are more situated in the future, and I would definately go this route when we can.
I also don't do it for the vitamin D production but for the natural color daylight that it gives the birds. They "do" eat better, are more active and vocal "with" the lights.

Color Vision of Birds

trout

Real Name
Bobby
From what everyone is saying, there wouldn't be that much of an improvement for the birds anyways.

There will be a big improvement psychologically for the bird through a better lighted environment. Not using FSL lights for your birds would be like you only lighting your house with black lights. Birds simply can't see using regular artificial lighting.

evsrin

There will be a big improvement psychologically for the bird through a better lighted environment. Not using FSL lights for your birds would be like you only lighting your house with black lights. Birds simply can't see using regular artificial lighting.
Okay, I'm starting to get it:p I think that for now we are going to look into a short tube light. Perhaps the 18 or 24 inch, and I will buy shelves for the room to mount the lights under. That way the lights can be relatively close to their cages without hanging from the ceiling! And I'll have a shelf for storage in there! I think this may be what can work for us for now. I want to thank everyone for their imput. :hug8:

In addition to a couple smaller lights, should I get the AviLux Full Spectrum Compact Fluorescent Bulbs to use in the regular ceiling fixture in the room? Would there be any benifit to that? Compact full spectrum fluorescent bulb for providing full spectrum lighting for birds

Status
Not open for further replies.