• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

looking for a gray, macaw, or any other talker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoghunterw

Moving in
Real Name
mike
need a companion to help me through my recovery from a motorcycle wreck.
Not only would i provide 1 or more birds with a safe cat and smoke free home but they would have total attention from me. It could be up to 3 years before i can just walk around somewhat normal again. Thank you and God bless.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Mike & Welcome to Avian Avenue:hug8: So sorry to hear of your accident. Have you tried to find a rescue organization near where you live?

igors mum

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
welcome to the avenue mike.sorry to hear about your accident also. im from pauls valley oklahoma . moved to australia 5 yrs ago. parrots take a lot of work between feeding and cleaning up after them will you have someone around to help you out with that?not all birds will talk. i have had 8 of them here and only 2 would talk. one would only talk when you were not in the room. and the other one is a alexandrine i hand raised that will talk your ear off at times. my cockatiel i hand raised does not talk.so its kind of a hit and miss with birds. there are several organizations in oklahoma for rescues. just do a google search for parrot rescues in oklahoma and some will come up.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Hi mike, welcome to AA. I agree with Igors mom. These guys can take some WORK! Do you have any experience with larger species? If not you may want to start with a cockatiel and work your way up..always KEEPING the cockatiel after the experience. I also have many birds that do NOT talk...actually..only Alex talks, Rico beeps, and Tiki screams obsenities throughout the day and attacks me (we are working on her). Have you researched any rescues in your area?

oddbird

Walking the driveway
Hi Mike, I used to live in Grove, OK & Jay, OK many moons ago...didnt like the tornados lol.....sorry to hear about your accident....God Bless you & heal you..

Years ago we had a little budgie (ie parakeet) who talked alot & was a joy to have around ..The Males are better talkers & If you get a baby (about 8 weeks old or so) it will be easier to tame him & train him. ..they come in so many colors too ! English Budgies are excellent also but are harder to find .Hope this helps!:rolleyes:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hi Mike,
I wish you a smooth recovery. These things are not easy and can be so frustrating to be able to do less.
In all honesty, my best talkers were 2 of my parakeets. And they can be extremely loving and fun birds.
They are also easier to take care of than the big guys - when my back is hurting it is really painful to pull those big cage pans out to clean them AND vacuum several times a week.
Maybe they aren't as macho as a big macaw but I think in many ways they are a perfect bird. The only drawback is that they only have the lifespan of a small dog and I hate goodbyes.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Hi Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your accident.

Parrots can be wonderful friends that I can tell you.

Without getting too personal are you able to move at this point??

I only ask as I am constantly chasing my guys arund the house.

They are good exercise. lol

I think Tiels make excellent parrots to have as housemates.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Hi, Mike, and Welcome. So sorry to hear about your accident. Sending positive thoughts and healing prayers your way.

Birds are a lot of work; chopping and cooking fruits and veggies; cleaning cages; cleaning room from all the feathers, dust and thrown food; taming and training, etc. Are you able to move around with your injuries? Do you have experience with birds? Are you able to provide a cage big enough for whatever species you decide to get? If the answers are mostly yes then I wish you the best of luck with a new birdie companion.

As other people have said, not all birds will talk, even if they are listed among the big talkers. I've had parakeets and tiels who talked and whistled and others who did not. If you do not have experience with the bigger species and don't want to start with keets or tiels, you may want to consider some of the smaller conure species. They are fun, love being with their parront, and some will talk. Their antics can entertain you for hours on end and they are wonderful companions.

There are many birds in rescues in need of a forever home and I would encourage you to look for your lifetime companion in one of these rescues. Unfortunately a lot of birds are rehomed once the novelty wears off of having one of these marvelous creatures, and this is very sad. Good luck, wishing you the best in your search.

RAC

Sprinting down the street
Greys are the best friends u can ask for take my advice get a grey

hoghunterw

Moving in
Real Name
mike
yes, i can move and am pretty mobile. Just slow. I have considered tiels, toos, and parrotlets. I've been looking for about 2 months now and figure it's gonna pay off soon.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Hi hun sorry about what life has doled out to you but what happens down the road say 10 yrs and your healthy and can lead a normal life how will your bird feel when your to busy to spend time with it or them as what you start is a life time cometmite not just a few yrs and birds dont take to changes
yes i know the true feeling of wanting been there im 74 and my guy is only 2 1/2 yrs so i have already started him bonding with my son who will spend his life soley on my mango
meaning where he goes so does mango im soculising mango getting out all summer im making sure hes well ajusted
im not trying to put a damper on your wants just opening a wider out look from what other post are saying
so think past next 3 to 5 yrs down the road make sure your ready to give your hole life to this as it is a hole life time comitmite sorry spelling is bad but im sure you can make it out
good luck in recovery and your decision

Last edited:

Stacy_b

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Stacy
yes, i can move and am pretty mobile. Just slow. I have considered tiels, toos, and parrotlets. I've been looking for about 2 months now and figure it's gonna pay off soon.
I would lean more toward a tiel or parrotlet before you get a too. They need the attention of a pair of 2 year old twins. Only louder. And the damage that beak can do. A too is def not a first time bird. I would check into rescues in your area, and see if you cant come visit and see what each bird is like, to see what suits you. The talking ability should never be on your list of priorities. Thats kinda like having a kid and expecting them to become a millionaire something you cant just *expect* Ya know?

Much luck!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I would totally go for a cockatiel. They are really easy going, not too loud, and not overly demanding. Mine that came as a hand fed baby is incredibly cuddly like a cockatoo.

Also, you mentioned that you want the bird to help you get through this time, but birds (especially the larger species) live a really long time, so once you have recovered and life is back to normal, you will still have this bird with high maintenance needs. If you are there A LOT for three years and then you are around less and your whole lifestyle changes, you may run into issues.

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Hey, Mike. I lived in OK for 15 years, divided between Stillwater & Ponca City. Loved the people...hated the weather :hehe:
So, my :2cents::
Don't overlook the "lowly" budgie! It was your basic green-with-yellow- head budgie that turned me into a "crazy bird lady" when I was only 8 years old :) Everyone in the family (except my mom) thought he was hysterically funny. He would help me set the table by systematically dragging the silverware to the edge of the table, dropping it off & watching it fall & then going back for another piece. He helped my dad play solitaire by systematically flipping the cards over. He helped my mom sew by systematically pulling the pins out of the fabric as fast as my mom put them in. He looooooved baths & would jump into anything that even remotely resembled a bath tub. My brother & I almost choked the night he jumped into the gravy boat on the dinner table, they flew around the room splattering gravy everywhere when my mom yelled at him. :rofl:
Every night before he went to sleep he would sit with his head in his bell & repeat his name, over and over...."Pretty boy, pretty boy, pretty pretty pretty pretty boy." (I read somewhere that budgies are among the top 5 talkers). Even if they don't talk, budgies make the most comfortable--and comforting--little noises when they are content. I haven't had a budgie for nearly 20 years & I still miss the noises they make,

I was at a caged bird club meeting when a cetificed avian vet was the guest speaker. A discussion of what bird makes the "best" companion bird developed. He listened for a while, then offered his opinion. "Nothing beats a male, hand-fed budgie." I dearly love my green cheeked conure & Fischer's lovebird--my current babies--but I can't disagree w/ Dr. Murray's opinon. One of the best birds I ever had was my little hand-fed bugie Louie. :heart: Hand fed budies are hard to find since budgies are so easy to socialize that hand feeding isn't really necessary. But, IMHO, a budgie makes a fantastic "first" companion bird. :)

Whatever your decision, take your time making up your mind. You are picking a long-term friend. I really believe that when you "meet" the right bird, you will know!

Happy healing :)

hoghunterw

Moving in
Real Name
mike
welcome to the avenue mike.sorry to hear about your accident also. im from pauls valley oklahoma . moved to australia 5 yrs ago. parrots take a lot of work between feeding and cleaning up after them will you have someone around to help you out with that?not all birds will talk. i have had 8 of them here and only 2 would talk. one would only talk when you were not in the room. and the other one is a alexandrine i hand raised that will talk your ear off at times. my cockatiel i hand raised does not talk.so its kind of a hit and miss with birds. there are several organizations in oklahoma for rescues. just do a google search for parrot rescues in oklahoma and some will come up.
thank you.

hoghunterw

Moving in
Real Name
mike
Hey, Mike. I lived in OK for 15 years, divided between Stillwater & Ponca City. Loved the people...hated the weather :hehe:
So, my :2cents::
Don't overlook the "lowly" budgie! It was your basic green-with-yellow- head budgie that turned me into a "crazy bird lady" when I was only 8 years old :) Everyone in the family (except my mom) thought he was hysterically funny. He would help me set the table by systematically dragging the silverware to the edge of the table, dropping it off & watching it fall & then going back for another piece. He helped my dad play solitaire by systematically flipping the cards over. He helped my mom sew by systematically pulling the pins out of the fabric as fast as my mom put them in. He looooooved baths & would jump into anything that even remotely resembled a bath tub. My brother & I almost choked the night he jumped into the gravy boat on the dinner table, they flew around the room splattering gravy everywhere when my mom yelled at him. :rofl:
Every night before he went to sleep he would sit with his head in his bell & repeat his name, over and over...."Pretty boy, pretty boy, pretty pretty pretty pretty boy." (I read somewhere that budgies are among the top 5 talkers). Even if they don't talk, budgies make the most comfortable--and comforting--little noises when they are content. I haven't had a budgie for nearly 20 years & I still miss the noises they make,

I was at a caged bird club meeting when a cetificed avian vet was the guest speaker. A discussion of what bird makes the "best" companion bird developed. He listened for a while, then offered his opinion. "Nothing beats a male, hand-fed budgie." I dearly love my green cheeked conure & Fischer's lovebird--my current babies--but I can't disagree w/ Dr. Murray's opinon. One of the best birds I ever had was my little hand-fed bugie Louie. :heart: Hand fed budies are hard to find since budgies are so easy to socialize that hand feeding isn't really necessary. But, IMHO, a budgie makes a fantastic "first" companion bird. :)

Whatever your decision, take your time making up your mind. You are picking a long-term friend. I really believe that when you "meet" the right bird, you will know!

Happy healing :)
thank you and i just may look into getting another parakeet

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I was hit head-on myself about 9wks ago.

It has been very difficult for my two cockatoos. I move slow and some days not at all.

My birds' play area is mostly way up over my head.

I can't climb up and down ladders to hang their toys and their foraging/enrichment activities. They have chewed holes in my walls and ceilings in protest.

I think another poster mentioned parrots are like having a toddler in the house that you have to run after all day long.

I have three teenagers, my local parrot society, and my neighbors helping out right now; but still there is more work than I can handle.

Every day there is poop to be cleaned up; birdie wash to be done; special parrot meals to be prepared; toys to be made; birds to be showered; cages to be cleaned out, etc. I especially have a hard time getting out of the house to get their nails, beaks and wings done and trying to get into the house all the fresh foods necessary for providing them, a balanced diet.

I am lucky to have so much help. Otherwise, because of my accident, I would have to place my birds elsewhere.

Our situations may be totally different and you may be able to handle all the work involved in owning a bird. You are doing all the right things, keep doing the research. Visit the bird rescues, line up the help you might need; so many people take in parrots without doing the research that you are doing which results in a high number of birds needing homes.

I am sure the right one will find you, when you are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.