• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Look who I found in my backyard today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pidgeot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephy
b.jpg

a little sparrow fledgeling!!

We have a lot of birdhouses in our trees, so I'm not sure which one he fell out of...I'm glad that he's alright though, usually the ones we find are already dead, since it's such a large drop :(
but he's safe now!

I plan on keeping him...I've had many sparrows in my life so I know how to take care of them. Plus I already checked with the local metroparks center, they said it's okay because sparrows are known as "pests" and are not under any sort of law (along with pigeons and starlings).

He has a big appetite for scrambled eggs and feeder crickets :p

and he sure loves to snuggle! :heart:

I'm not yet sure if it's a boy or a girl...I know that male sparrows have a black "bib" while females don't, so it may take a while for that to show up.

If it's a boy I'll name him Petrie (like the little pterodactyl from Land Before Time)..

and if it's a girl then I'll name it Sophie (I always loved that name) :D

I'm so happy!!!

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Awesome! I've always thought it would be cool to keep a wild bird as a pet.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A week too young to fledge, bummer. However, House sparrows makes EXCELLENT friends and companions. I remember my Sapphire, house sparrow hen. :heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
And a note: There are many native sparrows in the USA. House Sparrows are ok to be taken as pets as they're non native.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
He is very lucky!

Matt

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
:hug8:
He's adorable! It's interesting that you say that about sparrows, is that the general policy of most states? I know in PA you cannot (I had to check because a friend wanted me to help her with one) take in ANY wild animals of ANY kind without a rehabber's permit. We had been talking to the Fish & Game folks and some other Wildlife agencies in PA because this bird had minor neurological damage and wasn't going to survive in the wild. She knew I had birds and thought maybe he could stay here. But unfortunately, the rules that the agencies cited to us for PA didn't allow it. That's why I ask. Of course, all states are different (as we've learned, LOL).

He's SO CUTE. I hope he's a boy. Petrie is a great name :)

ExtrasuperSQUEE!

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
:heart:
Very cute!

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Awww, that sparrow will likely outlive his siblings, living with you, just like house cats are known to outlive outdoor cats in general:heart: He is very lucky indeed. I wonder what the lifespan of these birds are in the wild compared to in captivity:chin:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Very cute. :)

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is cute. Here in Maryland it is illegal to keep any wild animals or birds that are native to our state.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He's adorable, Stephy!

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
he is a cutie :swoon:

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Awe! So cute! I'm not sure about our laws in Michagan... When I was a teen, I raised a nest of robins that lost their home (neighbors cut down their tree). My mom's friend had shown me how she raised them to be wild and when these guys came along, I knew what to do. They barely had pinnies when I got them - 5 of them! They learned in steps how to find their own food as they got older and didn't look to me for food anymore. I was so proud when I let them go into the wild again :D Good luck with your little guy!

FreeByrd

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Cute little handful you have there! He really is lucky you saved him. And will spoil him..... I feed the sparrows here and people think I am nuts. But I think they are cute and make adorable sounds!

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww, he's so adorable!! Glad you found him and took him in! I've raised a few babies before too and released both of them back into the wild once they were eating on their own without looking to me, until they were good flyers and adjusted to the outdoor temps. It was a very rewarding and awesome experience!

:heart:

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
He is cute. Here in Maryland it is illegal to keep any wild animals or birds that are native to our state.
-
Do you hand them over to animal rescue if you can not keep them?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I think thats a national law. Luckily this is a house sparrow and along with starlings, are found in Europe. And are a non native species, so its ok to keep them as pets. Its ok to trap and kill them at your leisure too. :(

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
very very cute..thanks for saving him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.