• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

longest lived quaker? Or age ?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Love seeing Kirbie!!! Awwww
This is much how Penny looks. I will take new pic tomorrow.

Bobbi25

Moving in
We just lost our Quaker 2 days ago. She was 26, we've had her since she was about 8 months old. She was definitely showing her age though, slowing down, darker feathers and even had cataracts but it's still tough to let them go when the time comes. She got sick pretty suddenly and all the vets around me couldn't see her until 2 days after(they gave her antibiotics after a visual inspection and she passed the next day) so I'm feeling a ton of guilt about that but at the same time I do think she was at the upper range of her potential lifespan so that makes me feel slightly better. I hope you get many more years to spend with yours.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
We just lost our Quaker 2 days ago. She was 26, we've had her since she was about 8 months old. She was definitely showing her age though, slowing down, darker feathers and even had cataracts but it's still tough to let them go when the time comes. She got sick pretty suddenly and all the vets around me couldn't see her until 2 days after(they gave her antibiotics after a visual inspection and she passed the next day) so I'm feeling a ton of guilt about that but at the same time I do think she was at the upper range of her potential lifespan so that makes me feel slightly better. I hope you get many more years to spend with yours.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thrilled you had so many years together. You must have done a wonderful job to get her to that age.

Its never enough time with them. But sounds like your girl did have a long well lived life.

Big hugs to you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
So sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose a feathered friend :(

Bobbi25

Moving in
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm thrilled you had so many years together. You must have done a wonderful job to get her to that age.

Its never enough time with them. But sounds like your girl did have a long well lived life.

Big hugs to you
I am sorry for your loss.
So sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose a feathered friend :(
Thank you for all the messages. It's nice to hear from people who can actually relate to the loss. It feels like any time I mention it, nobody else can really understand how I could be so upset over "just a bird." Your messages mean more to me than you realize.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thank you for all the messages. It's nice to hear from people who can actually relate to the loss. It feels like any time I mention it, nobody else can really understand how I could be so upset over "just a bird." Your messages mean more to me than you realize.
We do. A parrot person bond is extraordinary. It's very difficult for non bird folks to grasp. Just how intelligent they are, how deep and important the bond. Their independent personal choice to choose to love us .

A of a love greater than 2 decades. That demands respect. Why can't folks be respectful of love and loss.

I would love to see a picture of your girl if you would like to share

Bobbi25

Moving in
We do. A parrot person bond is extraordinary. It's very difficult for non bird folks to grasp. Just how intelligent they are, how deep and important the bond. Their independent personal choice to choose to love us .

A of a love greater than 2 decades. That demands respect. Why can't folks be respectful of love and loss.

I would love to see a picture of your girl if you would like to share
Screenshot_20220927-082426_Gallery.jpg

This was in the winter, middle of her molt.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
What a beautiful girl!! Such a sweet loving face.
Her love will always be a light in your heart. I hope she visits you in happy dreams .

Please feel no guilt. You gave her a wonderful life. A very long life.

How did you come across her so long ago? What made you choose a quaker? Any funny adventures?

I do hope when you heal and if you decide to share your life with a parrot again. That you will stick around and share with us. I feel our lost loves guide us to our new friends

Bobbi25

Moving in
What a beautiful girl!! Such a sweet loving face.
Her love will always be a light in your heart. I hope she visits you in happy dreams .

Please feel no guilt. You gave her a wonderful life. A very long life.

How did you come across her so long ago? What made you choose a quaker? Any funny adventures?

I do hope when you heal and if you decide to share your life with a parrot again. That you will stick around and share with us. I feel our lost loves guide us to our new friends
Thank you, I'm slowly moving past the guilt and working on actually just remembering the good times.

Actually it's kind of funny but when I was 5 I really wanted a parrot, kept bugging my parents about it and they reluctantly gave in evenutally (knowing very well that part of the responsibility would fall on them). We used to have this pet store chain here in the Toronto area called PJ'S Pet Center so every time we'd go out I'd ask if we could stop by and take a look. One day we came across her, I didn't really know what kind of parrot I wanted being that young, something just clicked I guess and I asked if we could take her home. So I pretty much grew up with her nearly my entire life.

We definitely had some fun adventures, she was clipped when younger so when we'd go out I was actually able to take her with me quite often. Once we got in the car I'd let her out of her carrier and she'd either just stay with me or play on the steering wheel. I still remember she loved to hang off of it during turns.

I'll stick around, unfortunately while she was with me I didn't really join or participate in any avian communities. It wasn't until she was gone that I felt like it'd be nice to speak with people who share the same passion. As of now my family is pretty upset about the loss and the thought of another parrot is tough at the moment but I believe it will happen eventually and I'll be sure to share when it does.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Thank you, I'm slowly moving past the guilt and working on actually just remembering the good times.

Actually it's kind of funny but when I was 5 I really wanted a parrot, kept bugging my parents about it and they reluctantly gave in evenutally (knowing very well that part of the responsibility would fall on them). We used to have this pet store chain here in the Toronto area called PJ'S Pet Center so every time we'd go out I'd ask if we could stop by and take a look. One day we came across her, I didn't really know what kind of parrot I wanted being that young, something just clicked I guess and I asked if we could take her home. So I pretty much grew up with her nearly my entire life.

We definitely had some fun adventures, she was clipped when younger so when we'd go out I was actually able to take her with me quite often. Once we got in the car I'd let her out of her carrier and she'd either just stay with me or play on the steering wheel. I still remember she loved to hang off of it during turns.

I'll stick around, unfortunately while she was with me I didn't really join or participate in any avian communities. It wasn't until she was gone that I felt like it'd be nice to speak with people who share the same passion. As of now my family is pretty upset about the loss and the thought of another parrot is tough at the moment but I believe it will happen eventually and I'll be sure to share when it does.
Wow to grow up together....gosh I can't imagine how hard to loose her. I'm so sorry. Big hugs.

Thank you for sharing. What was her name?