• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Local Vet recommendations, please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
No emergency, but there was an "incident" at my vet's office and now my wonderful and fabulous vet is not allowed to practice avian medicine at this particular office for 5 years and not allowed to practice avian medicine within a 15 mile radius to this office. I don't know what happened; we suspect that a dissatisfied customer cried foul. :( We loved her, had no problems whatsoever with her. She saved Joey's life a few times, was always there when I needed her, did surgery on a dusky conure I had a few years ago, helped Beanie and did all she could for him (including tons of research).

So, I'm about an hour away from DC, Baltimore MD, York PA, and Harrisburg PA. About 45 minutes away from Frederick MD. And 2 hours away from Lancaster PA. I'd prefer to stay away from the bigger cities (I don't do well driving in a city), but if that's where I gotta go, then I'll venture cautiously LOL

We have vets near that sees birds, but basically all they can tell you is, yep, it's a bird :(

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Love Dr. dazen in cherry hill.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I think NJ is a bit far, but thank you! I will keep them in mind if I need to go that far. (3+ hours away)

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sherry maybe that vet you love will make house calls..........

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
That would be awesome if she did, but I have no way of contacting her. She lives in MD, but the vet's office is literally right next door and she would walk past my house on her lunch break. She commented one day while we were in there that she could hear my birds as she walked past. :D So I know she knows where I live. It would have been nice if the vet's office were to contact her patient's families and tell them what is going on. But, I guess that's a breach in privacy??? I don't know. The way they acted when my local bird lady called to ask about a bird patient was very rude and they only gave her the least amount of info they deemed necessary. She is the only good bird vet around, I don't know what they think we're suppose to do. :confused:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sounds of bunch of BS- office politics to me. Maybe you could google her name in the white pages and talk with her. If you liked her that much I would think she would be delighted.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The strictures on her place of practice are common for a vet or doctor who contracted with a practice and then either left it voluntarily or was forced out. The practice is protecting its local clientele and making sure they do not lose clients that liked her to her setting up business near them. This is a normal clause in an employment contract for a new practitioner coming into a set up practice.

Sorry to hear your vet had to relocate. Hope you can find her.

It is a bit far from you, but I recommend Linda Stern DVM with a practice in Camp Hill, PA.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Agreed with Lois - it sounds as though it's a standard noncompete clause at work here.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
They have excellent vets that see other types of animals. But, she's the only bird vet they have. They ought to know that bird families are going to follow her. :( I'm just sad to lose her. And scared! I guess I took her being right next door for granted. :( Anyway, I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks!

Edited to add: She was part owner of this practice. I don't think she would have left voluntarily. She truly cared about her families.

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Just wondering if you found anything out? :)

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I've had 2 emails from my CL ad. One from a person who works for a vet in Frederick that said Dr. Becker was going to sub for him at times. But, nothing written in stone yet. Then I got an email from a lady who said she has spoken with Dr. Becker personally and wants to talk. We're going to talk tomorrow :D She has out of town guests today. I'll post an update afer I talk with her. Thanks for asking!! :hug8:

Chicobo

Real Name
Erin
:( I'm sorry to hear this. It's hard to find a vet that does good work on birds and who is truly trustworthy and agrees with your methods (I find that there is an avian vet near me but she....I don't know. She likes vanity clipping and roughhouses and does a lot of flooding techniques, which I don't like, so I won't see her.)

I and my ex see the doctors at Ryan Vet Hospital at UPenn in Philadelphia. This might be too far, but they're great and they always have an avian doctor on call for emergencies in their ER.

I know there are some great ones in Jersey, but if that's too far, it's too far. I also know there are good ones in the Lehigh Valley, but I can't remember where...??

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Your CL ad is really nice! Hopefully she will set up her new practice 16 miles away;) and you can still see her.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.