• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Living in a duplex or other types of multi-family homes... will my birds be safe?

Sunchicken

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anna
Hi there, I just joined Avian Avenue and I cant seem to find any information on here or anywhere else about this topic. I'm hoping someone has some insight they can share.

My boyfriend and I have 5 birds - 4 cockateils (pippin, scooter, gonzo, and izzy) and a sun conure (Ricky, my child). We are currently renting a townhome and we have talked a lot about our desire to "house hack" by eventually purchasing a multi-family home such as.a duplex or triplex, live in one room and rent out the other(s), and have a very low cost of living until we can ultimately rent out the entire unit while we live elsewhere. My question is, does anyone know if it is generally safe/ unsafe to live with birds in a multi-family home as opposed to a single family (house, apartment, townhome, etc)?

I know there are different types/layouts of duplexes, etc., and my ultimate concern is that we would end up somewhere that doesnt ACTUALLY have separate air systems or that may allow certain fumes from various toxic sources to make their way into our living space and harm our babies.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with this? Or even if you know a little bit about regulations regarding multifamily homes needing separate air systems and whatnot, all information is helpful. Thank you!

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Hi there, I just joined Avian Avenue and I cant seem to find any information on here or anywhere else about this topic. I'm hoping someone has some insight they can share.

My boyfriend and I have 5 birds - 4 cockateils (pippin, scooter, gonzo, and izzy) and a sun conure (Ricky, my child). We are currently renting a townhome and we have talked a lot about our desire to "house hack" by eventually purchasing a multi-family home such as.a duplex or triplex, live in one room and rent out the other(s), and have a very low cost of living until we can ultimately rent out the entire unit while we live elsewhere. My question is, does anyone know if it is generally safe/ unsafe to live with birds in a multi-family home as opposed to a single family (house, apartment, townhome, etc)?

I know there are different types/layouts of duplexes, etc., and my ultimate concern is that we would end up somewhere that doesnt ACTUALLY have separate air systems or that may allow certain fumes from various toxic sources to make their way into our living space and harm our babies.

Does anyone have any experience or advice with this? Or even if you know a little bit about regulations regarding multifamily homes needing separate air systems and whatnot, all information is helpful. Thank you!
Like you mentioned it would be hard to ensure everyone is safe. It’s very likely that someone will slip and accidentally light a candle, or use spray deodorant, or use essential oils.

Also just wanted to mention cockatiel dust can be harmful to conure lungs so if your keeping them in the same area make sure to have a very good air purifier!