• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Whitey Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I have posted about Little Whitey in other sections of the boards but not here. But i think he fits here best now.

Little Whitey was one of a clutch of eight babies one of my budgie pairs just had. When he was about 10 days old it became obvious that his growth was stunted (and so he picked up the name Little Whitey).

He's surprised me and many others by making it to weaning age and he's been eating independently of his parents for a couple of weeks now.

Yesterday the rest of his family (less the two i found a home for) went to the aviary, but Little Whitey is staying inside cause my family is worried he won't do well with so many other budgies.

Last night Little Whitey slept in my budgie boys cage, and he seemed ok with that, but he didn't seem to figure out where the food bowls were for brekky this morning, so i've popped him in the cage he and his family were in and he's happily preening himself. I'm sure he'll find the food bowls when he's hungry.

Out of curiousity i weighed the little man this morning. He only weighs 25g!!! Blinkie is my next smallest budgie at 40g. :eek:

As well as small size some other things i've noticed as a result of Little Whitey's stunted size is that he gets tired very quickly. Sometimes he gets so tired that he just lays across a perch and falls asleep on his tummy.

I'm quite worried about the little man, cause i know stunted babies often have very short life expectancies. He doesn't seem unhappy yet, and i guess that's what really counts.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Awwww Little Whitey is so adorable!! You're taking such good care of the petite one!! :heart:

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Awwwwwwwww, he is so precious. Good luck, I hope he has a long and wonderful life.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
ohhhhhhhh :heart::hug8::heart:
long life good health and much happiness!!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
One on my friend's budgies was small (23-4g) and never quite right, then at about a year old, she suddenly put on weight and seemed stronger. Now she's about 32g and happy and healthy. Hopefully your little guy does the same. He is super cute!

You've got some bug budgies there too. Mine average 34g, and only one has ever hit 40g here. :) Differences in stock, no doubt.

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Hehe; so cute having a snooze on the perch!

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Oh my gosh, little Whitey is Sooooo CUTE!!! :heart: I hope he lives a long, happy, and healthy life!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a little dollie...well...I read some things about albino budgies especially having some liver deficiency issues..dont know how this applies in your case....he is a little dollie...I would say you should try giving him some s upplementary feedings...hand feedings...to perk him up a bit...I think even though he is weaned etc he needs them..he is absolutely precious...

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
Oh, he's so precious! I just adore that snoozing on the perch picture.:heart:

I have a special soft spot for white budgies... I had one as a child that was from a pet store...never tame, but I loved it anyway. I'm actually waiting for a white budgie from the breeder I'm getting the yellow one from. (had intended on a white one only, then fell in love with that little lutino one.. lol)

Tracy

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw he is so cute!! Little compared to the other budgie but so adorable!

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I had a baby like that, he was only 23 to 25g and he actually never fully weaned. He had liver disease and he died at only 3 months old... Some babies recover from it and some don't, I'm sorry to say. But the most important thing is giving them a chance at a happy life, because you can never anticipate how they will do. He looks happy and very sweet, so I am hoping he lives a long and happy life. :)

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
what a little dollie...well...I read some things about albino budgies especially having some liver deficiency issues..dont know how this applies in your case....he is a little dollie...I would say you should try giving him some s upplementary feedings...hand feedings...to perk him up a bit...I think even though he is weaned etc he needs them..he is absolutely precious...
Little Whitey is actually a recessive pied i think, not albino. He has a little blue patch on his butt.

I didn't hand feed Whitey, so i don't think he'd take kindly to supplementary feeds. He is a little piggy though and loves his veggies. So i don't think eating and getting enough nutrients is a problem for him. :D

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
He's a doll. :heart:

Just enjoy this special little guy for a long as he's around Belinda. Cuddles to him from SA. I tend to develop a real soft spot for the ones with a battle ahead of them. Emotionally not a smart thing to do.:sad7:

I hope that this little guy continues to show the strength he has so far and we'll be seeing pics of him in 5 years or so still.

~birdybea~

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
I tend to develop a real soft spot for the ones with a battle ahead of them. Emotionally not a smart thing to do.:sad7:
That's exactly how i am, it's rather ridiculous. But it's the underdogs that are the most lovable! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.