• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie's scream when they hear wild birds outside

Joelle

Walking the driveway
The weather is getting nicer and I want to open my windows for fresh warm air, but my linnies Olive and Aura sometimes do alarm screams when they hear the chatter from outdoors. I'd like to bring them outside in the summer in a cage but I'm a bit worried they find other birds stressful. They seem to be trying to talk to them at first but then Aura starts the very loud/shrill call. Any experience with bringing your birds out for fresh air in the summer?

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
OMG! Both Maui and Tiki do this! They don't do it when they outside per-say, but when the windows are open... They occasionally scream or call out to the wild birds outside. Unless you think these are distress calls, I wouldn't worry too much. Both my Linnies love being outside, it's good for them too :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Valentine screams from the sunroom or from her playstand in the house which is in front of a window :cool:

Joelle

Walking the driveway
So it's normal, that's good :pinkgrin:
I don't think they are distressed, but sometimes I notice a slight tremble- is this normal too?

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Tiki and Maui's wings tremble sometimes, I don't know if it's excitement or anxiety, but they relax after a little bit and stop.

wyrinth

Avenue Veteran
I have my windows open as much as the weather permits. My two don't react to the birds outside, even the feral quakers. They do react to one of the bird calls from my bird clock (I always forget, I think it's the robin) I don't think it's fear...when they're scared they freeze and flare their tails. I think they're trying to call the bird over...like a really loud hello.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies want to be with other birds and to call back to them is really not a problem. My Kobe does this and so does Daisy.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Has anybody noticed their birds eat their own poop? Aura, my blue Linnie, seems to find dried poop and eats it from his hand. Gross. I keep the cage really clean but have cork perches which allows poop to harden on them before I can get to it. Maybe he's missing something from his diet?

Joelle

Walking the driveway
They get fresh cucumber, papaya, pepper and apple most days and seeds as well. I removed pellets because they were causing the most foul smelling droppings for a long time- since removing things are much improved.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
They get fresh cucumber, papaya, pepper and apple most days and seeds as well. I removed pellets because they were causing the most foul smelling droppings for a long time- since removing things are much improved.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Tiki my green Linnie does that too :/ Maui my blue Linnie does not seem to do that, and Tiki eats the same things Maui does, pellets, seeds, fruits and veggies, yet she occasionally decides to "clean up". I clean the cage regularly. I would like to know if there is something missing from her diet as well, but Maui seems to be fine, she does not eat poop, thank goodness.

Joelle

Walking the driveway
Sounds similar for sure. If aura simply pecked at poop and realized it wasn't food, that would be one thing, but he seeks it out and picks it up and doesn't let go when I tell him to drop it.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
o_O I try to wipe any poop away when I can, if Tiki sees it, she picks it up and eats/plays with it in her mouth, Gross.