• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnies, dogs, and weird home layouts?

Birdlee

Meeting neighbors
Hi! I've wanted a bird for a long time, and due to allergy and noise constraints (but also because they're so darn cute) I decided on a Linnie! I really want to make sure my bird has the best home possible, and I'm worried about how to deal with some things in my house that might cause problems. My rescue terrier mix is a total sweetheart, but he is very neurotic and barks a lot. At the mailman, at dogs outside, and will bark at visitors for a good 15 minutes before being quiet. We got him as an adult from what the shelter thought was an abusive home, so there's not much hope of training him out of this. I'm really worried that his barking will scare the Linnie, and it will feel constantly scared, which I don't want. He also chases rats and sparrows in our yard, but can't catch anything, and we've had pet mice in the past that he's completely ignored, so I'm not worried about him causing it physical harm. My other problem is that my house is more open-plan, so the living room (where I'd keep the bird) and the kitchen are connected by a big open doorway. I know Linnies aren't the best flyers, but it would be super easy for it to fly into a pot of water or the sink if it was able to, and if I burn dinner, the smoke can get into the living room too, although it doesn't happen super often. I would be open to keeping a bird in my room, but it's colder than the front of the house, plus I'm not in my room very often except at night, and my family spends most of our time in the living room, so I'd really prefer to keep our bird there. I'm wondering if my dog's barking will be a problem, and also if it's possible to keep the bird in the living room given the layout of the kitchen/living room part of my house. Any help/advice is welcome!

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I have birds in an open-layout home and we put the birds in their cages before cooking. Once they learn that it's only temporary and they will get back out, they don't mind. They eat, drink and take a quick nap. As far as burning goes, keep the fan on when cooking. Open windows also help. Most importantly, be very vigilant about what you are cooking. If anything you're frying starts to smoke, you need to turn the heat down or use a higher smoke-point oil. Most birds will quickly adapt to a loud pet, but they do need quiet at night. If your dog barks at night, make sure they sleep in separate rooms. Most importantly, always keep an eye on your bird when it is out of its cage and in a room that is not totally bird-proof.

Birdlee

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much for the advice! He's very lazy and is basically dead to the world at night, so I don't think night barking is going to be too much of a problem, but I'm planning on getting a cage with a wheeled base to move them to my room if needed.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Make sure the dog is in a separate room or something while the bird is out, I used to live with a similar setup and it was a struggle as the birds didn’t get as much time out as I would’ve liked. Now that they can be kept completely separate from the dogs (in my bedroom) they can be out much more often.

My dogs both have high prey drives so I will never risk them being out together. If your dog chases sparrows and outside bird you shouldn’t risk it either. Outside there’s nearly infinite space to fly away but in a house a dog can corner a bird.

Do you have any room you could take your dog to during the bird’s out time? Maybe in your bedroom or something? Mine would go in the (finished) basement while the birds were out at the old house.

Good luck for when your get your linnie!

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
I know Linnies aren't the best flyers,
I have to take issue with this one! :laugh: All four of mine are very good fliers, and one is super acrobatic, acts like a gnat catcher sometimes with his multiple quick, tight turns. Please don't count on weak flying as a given.
-NG

Birdlee

Meeting neighbors
I have to take issue with this one! :laugh: All four of mine are very good fliers, and one is super acrobatic, acts like a gnat catcher sometimes with his multiple quick, tight turns. Please don't count on weak flying as a given.
-NG
Wow, that's great to know! A lot of the sources I looked at said they weren't very good fliers, and I was a bit disappointed by that, but I'm really happy to hear that's not always the case.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello!

Great comments and suggestions above.

I have an opening to my kitchen from the birds' daytime spot in the living room and I use a sheer curtain on a tension rod. Not sure if your opening is too large for that, but it works well for us.

I agree with @NorthernGannet my Linnies both fly very well. Baby Dori can fly like a bullet and change direction mid flight easily. Mine love to make noisy loops around the living room, briefly touching down and taking off again. We clap and praise and they love it.

Also when my son and his girlfriend stayed with us for a year they were up all hours of the night, cooking and chatting. Gigi was in the next room, again with just a sheer curtain. I didn't see any difference in Gigi during that time, so I think she was easily able to sleep through the noise.