• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Hi there,

As most of you know, I got a rehomed 6 month old Lineolated Parakeet last week. I thought I would name him Pickle, but it is not sticking for me, so I think I am going to come up with something else. We'll see on the name....but I wanted to share his progress.

He lived in his previous home for a couple of months after being brought home from the bird shop where the guy worked because he wasn't doing too well there. They are really nice, caring people and obviously loved him and decided to rehome him because one of their other Linnies didn't like him. They told me that he is shy and has to be caught to be held. He is very fearful of hands and I am not willing to force him to be handled. A few times (two or three) I left his cage door open. He does come out and seems to love being out. He has even flown from his cage to my keyboard and walked around on my desk. But, unfortunately him being out requires that I return him to his cage at times which is really scary for him. It is better with a stick, but not good enough that I am comfortable doing this as it clearly stresses him out. So, I am working with him inside his cage.

The other day I put my hand in his cage with a millet spray. He looked at it but didn't want to approach. I broke a piece off and left it in his cage. Today, I did two sessions about 10 minutes each where I just held the millet inside his cage, but not near him. He climbed around and around and around, I never approached him or pressured him. He finally came over and ate from it. Both sessions. I am so excited and consider this a huge success.

Still need a name though.....

Vicki

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
:omg: I did not know this! Congrats! I don't know if you know, but I also have a linnie. Mine is so precious and spoiled rotten! Small pieces of apple are a good treat to entice them with, too.

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:omg: I did not know this! Congrats! I don't know if you know, but I also have a linnie. Mine is so precious and spoiled rotten! Small pieces of apple are a good treat to entice them with, too.
Thank you! I am very excited. He is not to the point of taking food in small pieces from my hand, he is too fearful. The millet works nicely because it allows him to eat from my hand without having to get too close. But, thank you for the tip, once he is more comfy with my hands I will be trying lots of different foods.

Vicki

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am sorry that I missed this earlier congratulations on your Linne and all the progress he is making thanks for the update:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.