• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie not eating fresh food

mboroka

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Boroka Madaras
Hi there,
I have a young linnie and I notice two things about her. One of them is that it doesn't matter in what way I try to offer her veggies, fruits (the ones i read they like the most), she won't eat any of that. I tried to offer it by hand, by attaching it to the cage by her perches, to mix it with her seeds and pellets but nothing.
Another thing is, and maybe connected with the mentioned before,that she doesn't use her leg to help herself eat for exemple a sunflower seed, she would just struggle by eating with her beak and then let it fall.
Do you have any recommendations how can I get her to eat fresh veggies/fruits?
And if I can "teach her" to use her legs to eat like other linnies?
I spend a lot of time with her and try to offer everything fresh (like I remove the veggies after a few hours and replace it with a fresh one), but no interest. Instead, she would chew on everything else.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
It can just take time and a lot of waste.
It was a 2 year journey to get Penny eating romaine lettuce. It's so crazy because its now in her top 3 favorites of veggies! So don't give up

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree don't give up. I was super lucky that my Linnie took to some fresh veggies within 2 days of having him but it took 3 weeks before he'd give up his seeds he came to me on and switch to pellets. He also won't use his feet to eat he just eats over his bowl and the pecies fall back in. He'll use his feet to hold onto foot toys but that's the only time.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Have you tried letting her take veggies off your plate?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Try large chunks of veggies, especially with the skin attached. And have her seen you eat it. Birds are naturally afraid of new things and would have the flock show them what is safe. You're the flock ;)

Don't give up! Took 3 years for my Jardine's.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Some of my linnies use their feet, some of them do not. Of the ones that do, they use their feet to hold pieces of food (or treats) that they have purposefully taken away from the feeding dishes.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Does she like hanging out on your shoulder? If so, you could have her there while you're eating some fruit. See if after a few sessions she gets interested in what you're eating since it'd be nearby her own face. Apples and grapes are usually enticing, to start with (not in excess!). That said, I have one who really loves people pancakes (no toppings even), so I have to be careful when he's out.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Maybe try to make a veggie /fruit kabob on a skewer.
How I got two of mine eating veggies I put skewer near there favourite perch and they just pick

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
What about mashed sweet potato with some seeds mixed in? Even if she (?) picks out some seeds, she'll get some on her beak which could lead to tasting. Since your bird will eat seeds, I'd sprout a small hookbill mix and offer that. Sprouts are one of the best foods your bird can eat. If you don't have a sprouter, get an Easy Sprouter. They are bombproof.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hello and welcome! It took my girl 22 days to try Worldly Cuisine. Then she ate it for a few months and never wanted it again. In the cage I try offering a wide variety of things, but what she eats day in and day out is Roudybush pellets, Nutriberries, apples and thawed corn, peas and carrots. Everything else is hit or mostly miss. But I do find that Gigi is pretty interested in what I'm eating. I eat approved things when she is on my shoulder and offer her a taste from an uncontaminated corner of the bowl.

Gigi uses her feet to eat her food after carrying it to the highest perch in the cage. Maybe it will take just the right food for your Linnie to use her feet.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
It definitely can take time - I’ve had my cockatiel for almost 8 months, and the only time he’ll try a new food is if I’m eating it.

It seems to be especially enticing if I try to keep him from eating it - maybe while yours is out, have some on a plate that they can walk over to inspect, let them have a nibble, then try to stop them? What I’ve done with Tteok is eat at a table where he can walk around, and when he takes a nibble I lightly tap my fingernail on the table near him. He’ll back off for a split second and then run right back to the plate. I’m pretty well convinced he just likes the challenge, but it gets him to eat new things.